That 128GB thing....

• That 128GB thing....

Yeah, I was lame enough to take this to a dedicated computer forum. I actually don't recall wthe one on here but if Im right.. Cat said x64 OSs can't but Brent pointed that you can... (Correct me if I'm wrong)..

Just curious what you all think... And this is what one guy had to say.

every 64 bit os
      but most mainboards wont accept the amount :P

windows 7 goes up to 192 GB

Windows 7 editions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    • Re: That 128GB thing....

It depends on which 64-bit OS version you're talking about.

Windows Vista Home Basic x64 can handle only 8GB, Home Premium 16GB, and Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate can each handle 128GB or more. (source below.) Windows XP 64-bit can handle 128GB or more also. Don't have a source for that one though, it's just what I have read on various forums.

Download the pdf guide from the link below, it is a Windows Vista product guide. The chart you want is on page 18 of the .pdf.

LINK: Download details: Windows Vista Product Guide
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

DamnImGood wrote:

I mentioned the physical limitations on the motherboards in the thread where I was arguing with Cat.

The argument basically went like this:

Cat said 3GB was top of the line, which I scoffed at, to which he replied Vista can only support 3GB of RAM. I said no, since 64-bit Vista can support up to 128GB. He said no, and posted a link to an error with Vista when you run more than 3GB of RAM, which is true; however, it is fixed with a patch and you can then run more. I'm currently running 8GB, the maximum my motherboard will support (I kind of wish I had a 16GB limit :().

He made no distinction between versions of Vista and instead just said "Vista can't support more then 3GB", and used that error as his proof. Only later on did he post the limitations of all the Vista versions, but it was after his 3GB limitation was shot down. It was obvious he didn't know beforehand otherwise he would've just said it.

*sigh*
      Have you yet to understand that arguing with Cat is like arguing with a Cat?

DamnImGood wrote:

I mentioned the physical limitations on the motherboards in the thread where I was arguing with Cat.

The argument basically went like this:

Cat said 3GB was top of the line, which I scoffed at, to which he replied Vista can only support 3GB of RAM. I said no, since 64-bit Vista can support up to 128GB. He said no, and posted a link to an error with Vista when you run more than 3GB of RAM, which is true; however, it is fixed with a patch and you can then run more. I'm currently running 8GB, the maximum my motherboard will support (I kind of wish I had a 16GB limit :().

He made no distinction between versions of Vista and instead just said "Vista can't support more then 3GB", and used that error as his proof. Only later on did he post the limitations of all the Vista versions, but it was after his 3GB limitation was shot down. It was obvious he didn't know beforehand otherwise he would've just said it.

I enjoyed seeing that arguement, excluding the ignorance. Cause I had (And still do but I'm currently using W7x64 at the moment) have Vista x64 and I have 4GB, which runs perfectly. And not to shove it in your face Brent, but I have 16GB limit on my mobo =P

Aunt Jemima wrote:

*sigh*
      Have you yet to understand that arguing with Cat is like arguing with a Cat?

Hey, I can win arguements with my cat, all I have to do is grab her and just tell her to stop it.