Polygamy/Polyamory

• Re: Polygamy/Polyamory

Absolutely Unsure wrote:

No, I don't believe in that stuff. I'd prefer to have my man all to myself. And I'd hope he'd feel the same way.

I wholeheartedly agree, one person is enough for me.

screaminginsilence wrote:

I don't think either of them is right.

I don't think they are wrong. If people are comfortable living that way then good for them. That doesn't make them evil to me or anything. I just know I could not survive healthily in a relationship like that.

Mattilicious wrote:

I just know I could not survive healthily in a relationship like that.

Agreed. I couldnt either. I am selfish. And would want to be the 1st and only wife.

But many people in Muslim countries participate in Polygamy. Not all remain intact. Look at Osama Bin Laden. His mother, I believe was a 4th or 5th wife. And his father and mother had a falling out. Kicked them both out of the compond and (Osama's father) was very distant.

But anyways. I do know when it was practiced in the US. Only 5% or so of the couples practiced it. And that the husband had to be living comfortably finacially. Had to be picked by the leaders. And his 1st wife had to approve of any future wives. So there is alot more to it than one thinks.

BTW - There were no US laws in place about polygamy until the LDS started practicing it. The US passed a law in the 1880's outlawing it. And the LDS stopped practicing almost immediatly there after.

As far as Polyamory that is just scandalous.

lpstong wrote:

Agreed. I couldnt either. I am selfish. And would want to be the 1st and only wife.

But many people in Muslim countries participate in Polygamy. Not all remain intact. Look at Osama Bin Laden. His mother, I believe was a 4th or 5th wife. And his father and mother had a falling out. Kicked them both out of the compond and (Osama's father) was very distant.

But anyways. I do know when it was practiced in the US. Only 5% or so of the couples practiced it. And that the husband had to be living comfortably finacially. Had to be picked by the leaders. And his 1st wife had to approve of any future wives. So there is alot more to it than one thinks.

BTW - There were no US laws in place about polygamy until the LDS started practicing it. The US passed a law in the 1880's outlawing it. And the LDS stopped practicing almost immediatly there after.

As far as Polyamory that is just scandalous.

Oh, I'm not just talking about men having several gfs/wives; I'm talking about both ways. Women with 5 bfs, men with 2 gfs, whatever way you wanna go.

Also, things have changed since the 1800's. Women can work now. :)
      She kept lookin' at her watch (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      But I cried the whole time (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      I think she might've been a racist (Doesn't matter; had sex)
      She put a bag on my head (Still counts)

No, they're not! Where do you get that idea?

Both are about having more than one partner and they should know about the other.

Dating is about finding the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.

Are you saying that you can't want to share the rest of your life with more than one person?

I disagree. I feel it is a common misconception that you can only have one soul mate, or if more than one, one at a time.

Really, I think it's more than possible to have more than one person who you truly and honestly love.

I do too.
      Because I know I am/was in love with my exboyfriend.
      He was my first love.
      But I'm aren't going to spend the rest of my life with him.
      I never said you can only be in love once.
      Because I know you can love more then once.
      But I don't think that when you get married you should have multiple partners or have an "open" relationship.
      Because that ruins the whole point of being married in the first place.

*Sigh* You guys aren't getting what I'm saying at all. I'm saying it's possible to truly love more than one person at one time; and it's not impossible for all members of the relationship to truly love everyone in it.

I'm not talking about a couple of married people dating random people they don't really care about. :|