My knee...ain't another joint that can take your spot, my knee...

• My knee...ain't another joint that can take your spot, my knee...

Sorry. Bad habit.

So, I kinda busted my left knee a week ago. My best friend thinks it's cause I run. I know he thinks that just cause he wants me to take care of myself, and I don't. Well, I do, but he doesn't think I do. But whateverrrr...

I busted my knee, and it might be cause I run, it might be cause I spent 8 hours cleaning the kitchen from tiles to floor, cupboards inside and out, everything. I don't remember leaning specifically on my left leg for a long period of time, but, I dunno. It hurts if I keep it bent for more than about five minutes, which is hard to avoid if I'm in the car or doing something which requires me to be sitting up. I usually have two possible positions; standing up, and lying down. I'm OK if I stand up, but it does put a strain on my leg. I'm even better if I lie down.

When I run with the pain, it just disappears when I've gotten about five minutes into it. Is that natural? That it doesn't hurt when I'm putting it under pressure?
    • Re: My knee...ain't another joint that can take your spot, my knee...

Dear $ air $,

What you have in your knee is commonly known as
      Tendanitis
      Many teens from about 13-18 experience Tendanitis at one point or another because of overuse of the joint. Overuse and stress (football, soccer, weight training, Baseball) will cause the femur and/or the patella to rub excessivly on the tibia. The aftermath of this is that the cartilage tissue lining the joint between the patella and the tibia will begin to wear down over time, the more stress on the joint, the more cartilage is worn away with overuse.

To answer your question over the 5 minutes into the run i dont feel the pain anymore is caused because, as the tibia and patella begin to rub against each other, you get the feeling of arthritis in the joint, as you persist on rubbing and rubbing, the cartilage begins to wear down (whatever is currently there) once the remaining layer of cartilage is rubbed away, the liquid lining inside of the cartilage (the liquid acts as a cushion inside the cartilage area, it cushions the impact on the joints bones) begins to escape the cartilage, creating a smooth sensation on the bones surface, which leads to your comfort.

I know this because I have just gotten over a hard case of Tendanitis in both of my knees. I am a Catcher in baseball, and have been doing it since i was 5. The overuse of my knees over this period of time wore down my cartilage and i began to feel extreme pain when i got in my catching position. I consulted my doctor who told me to go to my local Walgreens and buy 2 knee braces (rubber and velcrow braces) to support my knees while i was playing. So I would wear these braces whenever I was going to stress the knees. Over time the pain began to wear away, but as the doctor said, the cartilage will not grow back fully until u stop doing stress to the joint completely for at least 6 months.

I recommed you buy a brace or two if you want to continue with your excersising, but to fully recover, you must stop all major overuse of the joint.
      I hope this helps you.

-Dan

BoxerDM wrote:

Dear $ air $,

What you have in your knee is commonly known as
      Tendanitis
      Many teens from about 13-18 experience Tendanitis at one point or another because of overuse of the joint. Overuse and stress (football, soccer, weight training, Baseball) will cause the femur and/or the patella to rub excessivly on the tibia. The aftermath of this is that the cartilage tissue lining the joint between the patella and the tibia will begin to wear down over time, the more stress on the joint, the more cartilage is worn away with overuse.

To answer your question over the 5 minutes into the run i dont feel the pain anymore is caused because, as the tibia and patella begin to rub against each other, you get the feeling of arthritis in the joint, as you persist on rubbing and rubbing, the cartilage begins to wear down (whatever is currently there) once the remaining layer of cartilage is rubbed away, the liquid lining inside of the cartilage (the liquid acts as a cushion inside the cartilage area, it cushions the impact on the joints bones) begins to escape the cartilage, creating a smooth sensation on the bones surface, which leads to your comfort.

I know this because I have just gotten over a hard case of Tendanitis in both of my knees. I am a Catcher in baseball, and have been doing it since i was 5. The overuse of my knees over this period of time wore down my cartilage and i began to feel extreme pain when i got in my catching position. I consulted my doctor who told me to go to my local Walgreens and buy 2 knee braces (rubber and velcrow braces) to support my knees while i was playing. So I would wear these braces whenever I was going to stress the knees. Over time the pain began to wear away, but as the doctor said, the cartilage will not grow back fully until u stop doing stress to the joint completely for at least 6 months.

I recommed you buy a brace or two if you want to continue with your excersising, but to fully recover, you must stop all major overuse of the joint.
      I hope this helps you.

-Dan

thanks! thats really helped!

do you think that the pain will be reduced by tying some cloth tightly around my knees while running in the same way it would if i used the braces?

hmm maybe,
      the brace has 3 velcrow straps, one below the knee, one above, and one dead center in the back of the knee.
      What it does is acts as a pulling agent on the tibia and femur, it absorbs the energy of impact into the brace instead of the joint, while at the same time holding the joint steady.

If you took some good linen and giving it a tight wrap it may do the same, but make sure to go over the top and over the bottom.

But I still would recommend just buying one of these braces, they cost around $8-$10 not expensive at all.

Well DysfunctionallMurder,

What you may be experiencing (I can't remember the medical term) but probably your Patella is a little loose, as is anyones, but the tendons which hold the Femur and Tibia together in the joint, may be a little over stretched which causes the Patella to have more room to move around.

During the pain in your knee, are you experiencing any pain in the foot, lower back, or neck? Please feel free to share your full symptoms and elaborate so I can give you a better answer.

Ok so during the pain in your knee, you have neck pain sometimes?
      Because if you have re-occuring neck pain along with the pain in the knee, you could have a pinched nerve in the leg.

I don't see any corrolationg between the calf being cut and the joint problem, but it may be connected.

Ill look this up further and see if I can find anything.