Nuclear Power

• Nuclear Power

One of the best discoveries ever made. It is efficient, productive and there is alot of it. It has the potential to provide for human need for quite a while. And it may not end with fission. Research on nuclear fusion promises to further aleviat the shortages of power that the Earth will experience in the future.
      While it is expensive to build nuclear power plants, provided good building conditions and good parts, they can be very effective and maintained with reasonable costs. While the wastes may cause some worry, they are not nearly as harmful as the enviroment, or in the very least take more time to harm it, than other methods of non-renewable energy. Its a great asset, and one of the seemingly few things that can at least relieve the pressure of growing industry and population for a while.
      Who else is extremely fond of nuclear power?
      [SIZE=1]"Religious suffering is the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature... It is the opium of the people." ~Karl Marx [/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      “Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason, or give up existence”~ Engels[/SIZE]
    • Re: Nuclear Power

jnifw3noli: Youre rash stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

Nucliar energy... are you kidding? Seriously?

As you know, its nonrenewable, and nucliar waste is extremely toxic and is horrible for the enviornment. Its unhealthy to work in a nucliar factory, as well.

People like YOU are the reason we have Global Warming, and the reason why the enviornment is such crap now adays.

Read my words: YOU ARE A DIPSHIT. Say it with me-- DIP-SHIT!!! God, you are an overzealous, irrational, childish little boy who thinks he has all the answers; when in truth, your solutions are almost as bad as the problem.
      Yes I do! (no I dont)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

@Cinderlly:Soviet Nuclear reactors were very unsafe. As is on their submarines, and other machines of war, their non-military uses of nuclear technology lacked the saftey mechanisms that other country's utilize.

Nuclear energy has great potential, but since Chernobyl and Three Mile Island(where no one died). Additionally, the association of nuclear weapons with nuclear power most likely also creates some apprehension towards this good, but still relatively new, alternative energy source.

I think you made an outcry from Symptom of the Universe.
      There are basic cons and pros to all sources of power.

Nuclear
      Pro:
      Clean
      Efficient
      Con:
      Nuclear waste needs to go somewhere
      If accidents happen, it can be very harmful, including to the planet

Wind
      Pro:
      Sustainable (means it will kinda always be there)
      Nothing bad comes out of it, like smoke or waste
      Con:
      Needs large amounts of area, and large amounts of turbines

Solar
      Pro:
      Sustainable
      Good financial investment if you install it for personal use on your home
      Con:
      Depends on the sun strength
      Needs area, and needs a lot of panels

Coal
      Pro:
      Lots of coal available... for now
      Adjustable
      Con:
      Pollutes the environment
      Takes away from the supply around the planet

Personally I wouldn't be too sure about it. Nuclear may be good in some important ways, but all it takes is one accident and the fallout can be terrible, and makes you want to ruin the environment instead. And you can't choose wind/solar, because that is expensive to set up in terms of space and equipment. I think NZ turned nuclear free because of a nuclear power plant accident in the past. As for nuclear waste, you have to store it somewhere, and you have to make sure it is done properly and safely. Until then, transport of nuclear waste is very dangerous.

UsernameGoesHere wrote:

@Cinderlly:Soviet Nuclear reactors were very unsafe. As is on their submarines, and other machines of war, their non-military uses of nuclear technology lacked the saftey mechanisms that other country's utilize.

It is true, but no matter how safe nuclear reactors are built, accidents can always happen... the last one was just a few days ago, when radioactive waste from a reactor in Japan leaked into the sea, as a result of an earthquake..What i want to say is that this alternative energy source will never be safe enough..

Symptom of the Universe wrote:

Nucliar energy... are you kidding? Seriously?

As you know, its nonrenewable, and nucliar waste is extremely toxic and is horrible for the enviornment. Its unhealthy to work in a nucliar factory, as well.

People like YOU are the reason we have Global Warming, and the reason why the enviornment is such crap now adays.

Yes, it is extremely toxic and damaging to the enviroment. If someone ran around a park throwing nuclear waste all about, untold problems will be wrought. Propper collection of nuclear waste makes is safe. The dangers of nuclear power have been overstated. Nuclear waste and nuclear power do not change the enviroment as greatly as other non-renewable sources. Furthermore, radiation exposer in nuclear factories is controlled by a shielded core and working stations and hazard suits.
      How am I and people like myself responcible for global warming by advocating nuclear power? Nuclear reactions do not cause global warming? Nor do they damage the enviroment as greatly and nuclear power plants.

Compared to other non-renewable energies nuclear power is a great alternative. While the waste may not become inert for millenia, rapid evolution of technologies will allow us, in the near future, to remove it in space.

I have no idea what advances may be made in the future, but from the current perspective, nuclear power provides a verry efficient alternative. My support for nuclear power is based entierly on its performance compared to other sources of power. If something better somes along, then it will supplant nuclear power.
      [SIZE=1]"Religious suffering is the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature... It is the opium of the people." ~Karl Marx [/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      “Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason, or give up existence”~ Engels[/SIZE]

living in england and all the stuff the goverment gives like nhs and that, i think the goverment should invest in giving houses wind terbins (one each) or if they have a stream in their front or back garden to install water terbins in aswell to just put solar panals on each house.

this would reduce the need for energy from powerplants and also i remember reading in the paper that if you are sending more energy back then what was being sent to your house then they will pay you which means that not only are you getting money but that your house is producing enouth power to work on its own and giving energy to other people
      never underestimate the power of a sick mind :D
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      The emperor protects

I'm unsure as to my opinions to nuclear power it has advantages sure but it also has consequences although i suppose most other power sources are the same.

And Matt, wtf are you chatting? What has the NHS got to do with every topic? Especially this one? And the energy from powerplants is the most practical, i don't know what these "papers" are you read but i'm sure you make half of it up. Maybe provide us with a source from time to time.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

jnifw3nloi wrote:

How am I and people like myself responcible for global warming by advocating nuclear power? Nuclear reactions do not cause global warming? Nor do they damage the enviroment as greatly and nuclear power plants.

Sorry I didnt reply sooner, Ive been buisy this week.

Nuclear energy does not contribute to global warming, but people who think like you do. You, as i have told you before, have a distructive mindset. People who think like you do many things, you overestimate the capability of humans, you expect progression to happen to what appears to be an unlimited end, and you dont recognize how fragile the earth is now. The latter is the most emportant. You have shown me in the past that you hold no regard for the earth, you think it is ours to manipulate when, in fact, it is dangerous to try to do so. If you think civilization as we know it will stay the same, when humans are the masters of the earth, where we can control nature, youre dead wrong. As people that live here, on earth, we need to be sensitive to its needs and what would and wouldnt be bad for it.
      Nuclear energy, for example, is not only bad for the earth in the long term, but the chances of someone or multiple someones getting hurt in the short term is very high. What do you do with nuclear waste? You dump it, burry it, and pretend its not there. Its going to stay there and somehow its going to come back up and hurt more important things that just people.
      Back to my origional point, people like you dont seem to care too much about things other than human civilization. Thats a dangerous way to think; I really hope you never get into politics.

(just out of curiostiy, how much of a hippy did I just sound? lol)
      Yes I do! (no I dont)
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

we do have things like wind farms you know, and if you have the money you can buy things for your house to create energy like mini wind terbines, solar panels...

the only problem is that people think they are destroying the look of the land, but i'd rither havw wind farm around the place then nuclear reactors, also at landfills gasses are given off that can be used as fuel as they do somewhere in brazil if i remember correctly
      never underestimate the power of a sick mind :D
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      The emperor protects

i agree that nuclear power is a way forward.

"the only problem is that people think they are destroying the look of the land, but i'd rither havw wind farm around the place then nuclear reactors"-deno70
      single plants can generate much more power than any other. vast numbers of wind farms, soalar etc would be required to match to a single nuclear plant.

also, those landfill gasses supply hardly any energy so are very usefull for developing, low power use countries but not for more developed countries.

if and when fusion becomes available, it will be a clean and almos limitless power supply.

also, sympton of the universe, i do know that we have done damage to the earth but that was with other sources of energy, before we properly knew what damage we were doing. nuclear energy is a step forward that will help us prevent further damage to the earth. we are learning form our mistakes.