African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

• African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

*I didn't intend for it to be this long but it's a good read*

This thread is so necessary because I feel like white people are less racist against black people than black people are. White people, I know that may say crazy to you but it's because you don't know what's going on; so let me fill you in.

For some reason, there is this tension in the black community between Light skin African Americans, and Dark skin African Americans. A lot of light skin people present themselves as if they are superior to dark skin people (African Americans of course). And dark skin people tend to not like light skin people because they act like they're better than us.

As a Dark skin African American teenager in high school, I have endured so many hurtful things regarding my skin color (even my own family). And most of it is from people of my own race. Not only has this brought down myself esteem (A LOT!), but it has also made me less trusting to my own race. Don't get me wrong, I have black friends, but they are black friends who accept me and themselves for being black people.

I know that immaturity has a lot to do with it, but why do you think Light skin African Americans, feel the need to come down on us darker ones? I consider myself to be damn good looking but for some reason, people (mostly African Americans) want to focus on my color. Why is it a bad thing that I'm Dark? Since when did the shade of my black, and the shade of a lighter skinned persons black, split us into two different races? At the end of the day, we're both still African American!

My theory of why Light skin African Americans come down on us darker ones is because they're insecure with being black themselves. They aren't proud of wear they come from. I can't tell you how many times of heard, "I'm glad I'm not that black." But why? Is it because your ashamed of your true color? Of who you REALLY are? You obviously don't want to bare your heritage loud and proud. And it's funny because, they're actually the ones who should be getting ridiculed. They must not know that the reason they are light skinned is because they're most likely a product of rape. Yes, I did go there because it's true. It's not secret that slave owners raped their slaves back in the day. So why should I be ashamed to look the way I do? I look good black and all.

Even though I sound harsh, I'm not an asshole. I love everyone for who they are. No matter what color, what disability, or what imperfection they may have. But if you have a shitty attitude or personality, that's when I'll tell you to go to hell. But yeah, our black ancestors and many others before us have fought for so much and stuck together the whole time and I feel like as black people, we should be loving each other instead of hating one another; the WORLD, should be loving each other instead of hating each other. color is SO irrelevant.

What is you view on this situation? What's your theory on the controversy?
    • Re: African American: Light skin Vs. Dark skin Controversy

Thing I always see as the problem of racial discrimination is due to literally having the word "race" in their in the first place.

Using "race" as a cultural determinant has done nothing but promote racial discrimination.. The Egyptians were one of the first people to use the word so that they could kill the Libyians, as you can never kill one of your own.
      This has been injected into generations of civilization which has given excuses to some races (the caucasian race specifically) to think they are superior to other races. The whiter you are the more superior you are... Even unintentially this is promoted through lighter skinned people.

I believe we cannot achieve anywhere near world peace unless the word "race" as a cultural determinant is taken away as most people seem to forget that wee are all the human race.

Thats my opinion anyway
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

LOLFag wrote:

Seeing how humans are the only ones who discriminate, kill, and hate on its own species for no survival reason, just pure ignorance, I don't think this is a possible.

not true at all

animal racism - Google Search
      [CENTER][FONT="Garamond"]This is the part of me that needs medication
      This is the part of me that believes in heaven[/FONT][/CENTER]

Im light skinned. I always make jokes about my dark friends, and they do about me. Its just a joke get over it. From what i see in england, lighter skinned and mixed race guys get all the nicest girls (of every race). I dont know how it is in the usa. Maybe just chill and take everything as a joke and it wont be so much of a big deal.

Im boutta add you though.

BlackBritishPsycho wrote:

Im light skinned. I always make jokes about my dark friends, and they do about me. Its just a joke get over it. From what i see in england, lighter skinned and mixed race guys get all the nicest girls (of every race). I dont know how it is in the usa. Maybe just chill and take everything as a joke and it wont be so much of a big deal.

Im boutta add you though.

It's a joke when you don't have the shit end of the stick. It shouldn't be a joke in the first place. If that was the case, it'd be ok for white people to make black jokes and is that the case?... No. So why are black people making jokes about other black people? That logic is pretty damn stupid; especially when black people in America are complaining about not being treated equally but yet, we aren't sticking together as a community. Instead, they wanna fight and kill each other giving the rest of us a bad reputation. Me and a couple of my friends were talking about it today, black people are so damn ignorant.

"shit end". Was that a pun?

Where Ilive everybody is open to a joke. Whites, asians and blacks all make jokes (within reason) about eacother. I mean you even got dark vs dark in my old school (different countries) but it was light hearted and everybody was proud and never though of themselves as having the "shit end of the stick".

Are you even proud to be black.

mario_128 wrote:

In australia its the big fat ugly islanders that get the best woman of all races

Hahaha it's true. They're not ugly though ;)

I think it's pretty funny when we'll (well, I'll speak to myself) be talking about something, like, "oh I met this guy the other day, he was Indian" like I feel the need to say their race? Also one of my good friends is gay, and he was about to be introduced to my other friend and I was like "his name is *his name*, he's gay by the way"... it's weird how we do that. Like him being gay doesn't change the person he is or anything, and it wouldn't change the other persons opinion (I'd hope)... but anyway. But I wouldn't introduce my friend to someone and be like "oh he's straight" or "oh he's white" (seeming as I'm white). I've noticed everyone else does it too, even when they're not racist or whatever.
      After that realization - though I'd like to think I'm in no way racist or homophobic in the first place - I try to look at every human being as a human being, not a race. I also hate generalizations like 'Asians are bad drivers' and stuff.
      No matter what colour someone is, I'll always judge them by their personality not their background. At least I'd try to.
      Racist jokes are okay... as long as they're a JOKE.
      [SIZE=3]"One day I will disappear, one day so will this comment, one day so shall you... fear nothing."[/SIZE]

Thanks, that gave me absolutely no scientific article about animal displaying racism. Most of the websites have people proclaiming the OPPOSITE, and the only "evidence" for animal racism can be traced to the animals' owners who display racism.

If you're going to use a link, make sure it LEADS SOMEWHERE RELEVANT and PROVES YOUR POINT.
      [CENTER].::ANIME is DOPAMINE to me::.

[/CENTER]

xNerRadx wrote:

They must not know that the reason they are light skinned is because they're most likely a product of rape. Yes, I did go there because it's true. It's not secret that slave owners raped their slaves back in the day.

Well, first I have to object to this, lighter skinned African Americans are lighter because at some point in their gene pool there was more white members. While some of this certainly came from being raped back in the day it has been almost 150 years since then and there have been many interracial couples since then so, just because someone is lighter doesn't mean they're ancestors were raped.

Now, see I felt bad about that because I do sympathize with your plight. I grew up in a school where 75% of the students were African American and the biggest hating went down between African Americans and other African Americans. I think it is just another way people can distinguish and draw lines between each other. As humans, especially in adolescence we feel better when we have someone to hate on and a small group of people who we can count on. If as a culture, we can draw a line down the middle of the African American demographic we will. Such is life and I think the only thing you can do is not participate and try your hardest to shrug off the ignorant insults thrown your way.
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]"What we do in life echoes in ete[/SIZE][SIZE=3]rnity."[/SIZE]
      ~ Maximus from The Gladiator[/CENTER]

Maximus1991 wrote:

Well, first I have to object to this, lighter skinned African Americans are lighter because at some point in their gene pool there was more white members. While some of this certainly came from being raped back in the day it has been almost 150 years since then and there have been many interracial couples since then so, just because someone is lighter doesn't mean they're ancestors were raped.

Now, see I felt bad about that because I do sympathize with your plight. I grew up in a school where 75% of the students were African American and the biggest hating went down between African Americans and other African Americans. I think it is just another way people can distinguish and draw lines between each other. As humans, especially in adolescence we feel better when we have someone to hate on and a small group of people who we can count on. If as a culture, we can draw a line down the middle of the African American demographic we will. Such is life and I think the only thing you can do is not participate and try your hardest to shrug off the ignorant insults thrown your way.

I've already taken interracial relationships into account. But when someone doesn't know that they are products of actual interracial relationships, then that's when I think it's safe to say what I said. And not only that but, over the years that white could have masked by relationships with other blacks leaving them with just light skin and non European features (although I have seen some black people with European features). But I'm not saying every light skin person is a product of rape.