Tips for Preventing Depression:

• Tips for Preventing Depression:

Hello all,
      I started thinking that depression is just like most diseases… it’s probably easier to prevent than to cure through intentional, proactive choices.
      However, it is my opinion that if you are not depressed now, then it would be very wise for you to take measures now in order to prevent becoming depressed in the future.

Here are some tips to help prevent depression:

1) Take care of your physical health by engaging in regular exercise, eating a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water, avoiding drugs and alcohol, and getting plenty of rest. Studies show that people who exercise regularly are less likely to get depressed than people who don’t.

2) Watch your thought life.The old saying “garbage in, garbage out” is completely true. If you fill your mind with garbage, then guess what comes out!!!

3) Pay attention to the messages you tell yourself. We have so many thoughts during the day, and we tell ourselves so many things that we’re probably not even conscious of. If you believe the truth about yourself, then you will think positive thoughts, which will lead to positive emotions, which will lead to positive attitudes and behaviors.

4) Spend time with God every day. God loves you and has a plan and purpose for your life. He’s just waiting for you to come to Him and to enjoy your relationship with Him. Jesus died for you so that you can freely experience this.

5) Write out your mission statement and review it regularly. This will remind you of your purpose on this earth and how you are unique and especially gifted to fulfill a special role in this universe. Only you can be you and do what you do. Your life is meant to positively impact the lives of those in your circle of influence.

6) Keep a journal. This will help you process your thoughts and emotions. Over time, you will see patterns emerge, and hopefully growth as you overcome challenges and obstacles in your life.

7) Enjoy the simple things in life. Don’t get so busy that you forget to notice the little things like the welcome breeze blowing in your face on a hot summer’s day; or a baby’s smile; or the smell of a flower. That may sound cheesy, but sometimes it’s the simple things in life that help put everything in perspective.
    • Re: Tips for Preventing Depression:

zoobidubi123 wrote:

4) Spend time with God every day. God loves you and has a plan and purpose for your life. He’s just waiting for you to come to Him and to enjoy your relationship with Him. Jesus died for you so that you can freely experience this.

Uhm, there is no god lol, silly silly.
      My Blog --- gatlinock.blogspot.com/
      Last Updated: Sunday, November 29, 2009

zoobidubi123 wrote:

Hello all,
      I started thinking that depression is just like most diseases… it’s probably easier to prevent than to cure through intentional, proactive choices.

Clearly you've never had depression, or you would know that its a chemical imbalance, and most of the time you can't prevent it at all.

zoobidubi123 wrote:

I'm sure this would be lovely advice, if you were writing a christian help book. This is an opinion, and has nothing to do with many peoples lives. For example: I'm jewish, so i don't believe "jesus died for me". Maybe you should try thinking about other people before writing this, as well as actually LEARNING and depression, if you've never experienced it.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

You have to keep in mind that by the time someone starts to think about them having depression, they probably already have it. And you shouldn't go around advertising the Christian religion. Like said before, that would fit into a Christian help book. But it doesn't fit here, where there are people of many, many religions. Personally, I don't believe in the Christian God, and I certainly don't believe in Jesus. So while your advice is good, please take into consideration that not everyone is a Christian.
      [COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]To make my dreams come true. To protect the ones I love. And to keep fighting.
      The star inside my heart... please keep on shining strong and bring me power![/FONT][/COLOR]

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The only thing worse than a smart-ass is a dumb smart-ass.

Alright we get the religion part...
      he/she is giving great advice here
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] Cassie: Do you remember when you rode with me in the ambulance after I tried to kill myself?
      Jal
      : Of course.

Cassie
      : That's what love feels like.
      [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]
      ♥
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=4]I Love You Dylan[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [SIZE=3]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

Linda wrote:

Besides the part where they said depression is preventable.

Uhm... I'm not a biologist (yet) or a psychologist, but I'm pretty sure it is. You can't prevent a chemical imbalance if various events have caused your brain to be that way, but you can control how you react to it. You don't have to change the chemicals in your brain to change your mindset.

-----------------------

@OP

Anyway, this is very good advice in my opinion, I'm atheist so I just ignore steps 4 and 5, but the rest of it is great.
      I'm so uncertain, it's principle.
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      "We wear the mask that grins and lies"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Heisenberg ().

Heisenberg wrote:

Uhm... I'm not a biologist (yet) or a psychologist, but I'm pretty sure it is. You can't prevent a chemical imbalance if various events have caused your brain to be that way, but you can control how you react to it. You don't have to change the chemicals in your brain to change your mindset.

Clearly you've never experienced depression then.
      It doesn't matter how many times you try to be happy, or do things you enjoy to be happy, you're still sad. Experience it, then talk to me.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling

Linda wrote:

Clearly you've never experienced depression then.
      It doesn't matter how many times you try to be happy, or do things you enjoy to be happy, you're still sad. Experience it, then talk to me.

Well actually yeah, I have. Awesome how you make these illogical postulations, though.

I can see where Linda's coming from. Yeah alright it may be 'possible' to prevent depression in a scientists eyes but when you're suffering with depression and you feel like you're in one big black hole you just can't get out of, it's hard to see preventions and cures and all that shit.
      [SIZE=3]Just Be Yourself :thumbsup:

[/SIZE]

BrunetteHeaded wrote:

I can see where Linda's coming from. Yeah alright it may be 'possible' to prevent depression in a scientists eyes but when you're suffering with depression and you feel like you're in one big black hole you just can't get out of, it's hard to see preventions and cures and all that shit.

Thank god SOMEONE see's where I'm coming from. Like Monica said, when you actually HAVE it, you don't see anyway to get better.

Heisenberg wrote:

Well actually yeah, I have. Awesome how you make these illogical postulations, though.

So you know how hard it is to make yourself happy, right? You know that doing things you used to love, make you feel nothing now, right?

-J.K. Rowling

You can't prevent depression, it's actually very possibly to inherit it. Psychologically there are procedures you can attempt and there's things you can do to attempt to ease the pain however, not everyone reacts the same.

It's very possible to make depression easier on yourself unfortunately when you're in a state of depression, it's very hard to conjure up the willpower to do those specific things. You're right, you do have the power to control how you act but it's not probable that you're going to do so.

It's a great burden to deal with, it's not that easily discarded.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Raylan Givens ().

It's so hard to see any form of 'way out' when you're feeling depressed. I hate it SO much when people say "Oh you'll feel better soon" or "Oh get over it, it's not the end of the world, you're just having a bad day" because it's bullshit and it really takes you to understand this once you've actually had to put up with depression yourself or even someone you're close to having it.
      I'm saying how I feel on this matter simply because it's not fair on those who've suffered with it and I've been diagnosed with depression myself and to hear people going on with shit like how you can prevent it, really hits home and can effect someone.
      [SIZE=3]Just Be Yourself :thumbsup:

[/SIZE]

Obviously you've never suffered from depression. Linda and Monica have a point, it's hard to understand before you've experienced it yourself, but once you're depressed it's very hard to get yourself out of it. I suffer from it, i exercise alot, i have a healthy diet, i've got a very good social life, a journal, i surround myself with positive things, i did it all before i started suffering and it didn't prevent it, if only it was that easy!
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by x-mercedes-x ().

Linda wrote:

So you know how hard it is to make yourself happy, right? You know that doing things you used to love, make you feel nothing now, right?

Difficult =/= Impossible. Don't confuse the two. You wrote this:

I've never been to a psychologist, but I believe I've had/have depression. This is unverified. My dad, who has been to a psychologist and diagnosed with clinical depression, is happy much of the time. He worries a lot, but that doesn't mean he cannot physically be happy.

I feel like I've beaten depression (with some help from my friends). Whether the clinical sense or mental state, I can't be sure, but the point is no lesser. In my own case, I was the one stopping myself from being happy, it just took me a while to realize it and get off my mopey butt.