Child Custody-Unwed

• Child Custody-Unwed

Hi, I'm 17 and was with a guy on and off for almost three years. I'm five months pregnant and by the time the baby is born I will have a steady job and I should be living in a house by myself, with license, and GED.

The baby's father is threatening to get full custody of the kid, he lives with his mom, no job, no license, and I don't think he'll finish high school. He was sent to a mental institute not long ago for trying to kill himself, he got out in two weeks because he lied and he takes medication to sleep and for depression.
      I was wondering how/if I could get full custody if he does end up taking me to court.
      Please help. I've looked online but I haven't had a breakthrough yet. :wink:
      "You can close your eyes to the things you don't want to see, but you can't close your heart to the things you don't want to feel."
    • Re: Child Custody-Unwed

I think you just need to find yourself a lawyer and the court will have no problem giving you full custody when/if the situation arises. If you really want, and you don't want the father to have any part in the childs life at all, you can take him to court before he takes you and fight your case. Considering you're having the kid, and you have a steady job, as well as means of transportation and education, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

“We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”
      -J.K. Rowling
    • Re: Child Custody-Unwed

FunkyFresh wrote:

You are the logical and more well-suited guardian. I don't think he has a substantial case to be honest. If he does end up taking you to court, then consult a solicitor and he will be dismissed.

Yeah, considering the fact that he was in the loony bin and takes medication for depression and sleep, I think the judge will be rolling on the floor laughing at him for even thinking he had a chance in hell. You are independent, you have a a job, licence and GED; he has nothing. It is so obvious this guy can't take care of himself, how the hell does he expect to take care of a baby? His Mom? She is probably going to kick him out after a few weeks.
      I don't think you have anything to worry about, but if he does bring this to court, your best bet is to get a lawyer. Plus, considering you are the mother, that already is in your favour. Unless he can prove you are a terrible mother (which is impossible in this case, considering you have a job and he does not), only then will the court consider giving him custody.

But seriously, it is funny how dead-beat dads threaten to take the child's mother to court for custody. It only ends in embarrassment.