'emo' music?

• 'emo' music?

apparently the music i listen to is emo. I dont really care, but i was just wondering, what does a band/singer have to do to be classed as emo? or what do you guys think that emo music is? (besides emotional ;) )
      I love my music :)
      and if anyones into the same kinda stuff as me ('emo', metal, screamo, punk, death metal etc) appreciate any suggestions of good bands?

im already in love with:
      hawthorne heights
      saosin
      mcr
      bring me the horizon
      the used
      jimmy eat world
      rise against (i know they're not emo lol)
      && tonnes more.

* ^^ haha sorry if that didnt make sense :S *
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]rawwr.[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]apple pie.[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]*om nom nom*[/COLOR][/SIZE]
      fields where nothing grew but weeds; i found a flower at my feet.
    • Re: 'emo' music?

Apollo wrote:

I listen to that kind of music also. its really good music, way better then rap or hip-hop any day.

agreed! its a shame that most people dont see that X(
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]rawwr.[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]apple pie.[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]*om nom nom*[/COLOR][/SIZE]
      fields where nothing grew but weeds; i found a flower at my feet.

I listen to bands more like Milburn, Arctic Monkeys, and Pigeon Detectives, but whenever a 'chav' or 'townie' happens to hear any of the music i'm playing, it's instantly emo.

I think these days 'emo' music is anything that uses real instruments instead of a computer generated bassline and wanky lyrics about being in a drive-by while simulatiously being mugged, stabbed, having racial abuse thrown at them, and hitting on them hoes to shizzle their dizzle, ya fizzle?
      [RIGHT][SIZE=2]Be creative - formspring.me/DannyRar[/SIZE][/RIGHT]

[LEFT][SIZE=2]People say I only see what I want to. So why do I see you?![/SIZE][/LEFT]

Radioactive_Pig wrote:

I listen to bands more like Milburn, Arctic Monkeys, and Pigeon Detectives, but whenever a 'chav' or 'townie' happens to hear any of the music i'm playing, it's instantly emo.

I think these days 'emo' music is anything that uses real instruments instead of a computer generated bassline and wanky lyrics about being in a drive-by while simulatiously being mugged, stabbed, having racial abuse thrown at them, and hitting on them hoes to shizzle their dizzle, ya fizzle?

exactly, you are 100% correct

Jayvee. wrote:

what has music these days come to? -_-

An abrupt end.
      No, people like their own kinds of music. I, for one, can't say I like many of the bands listed in the original post, but I respect your decision to listen to it and enjoy it.
      But other people don't have the same courtesy, and I think that's the main reason for people being to attracted to hating this Electronic/Hip-Hop era, because they're the main offenders.
      [RIGHT][SIZE=2]Be creative - formspring.me/DannyRar[/SIZE][/RIGHT]

[LEFT][SIZE=2]People say I only see what I want to. So why do I see you?![/SIZE][/LEFT]

Emo. Short for "emotional." Basically if it has emotional lyrics it can be considered "emo."

Here is urban dictionary's definition:
      "Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle."

P.S. Jimmy Eat World is so not emo in my opinion
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER][COLOR="Indigo"][CENTER]Block out all your demons with
      white noise, pills, and Jesus[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Jayvee. wrote:

im already in love with:
      hawthorne heights
      saosin
      mcr
      bring me the horizon
      the used
      jimmy eat world
      rise against (i know they're not emo lol)
      && tonnes more.

Hawthorne Heights, out of all of them, is most considered to be emo, although (if I'm not mistaken) the band themselves, do not like the tag.

Emo has had two previous waves to this one. Jimmy Eat World are considered the last remaining Emo band from the last wave in the 90's.

BMTH are not emo, Neither are The Used.

Otherwise, good list [=
      [CENTER][SIZE="2"]Blog: http://jamierandallphotography.wordpress.com/[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIZE=2]Youtube: youtube.com/WellThatWasAwkward91 [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I think it is more of a trend than anything because you have people that look like Gerard from MCR and people will call him emo, but then you'll have a band like All Time Low who are totally pop but dress the part of being emo.

But I also think that emo music is just music with full emotion, which is why I would say MCR would be classified as an emo band musically as well. (also happens to be one of my favorite bands (:)

The current definition of emo just described whatever rock oriented music consisting of people with remotely long hair and the music itself being made to target mainly teenagers. This is why you'd have something quite different like pop-punk and deathcore but people still brand them both as 'emo'. Really, it's only about the appearance. One band could sing about the development of the modern book codex, but if their members have 'that hair', they would still get branded as 'emo'.

Emo music actually started as a branch of hardcore punk music that still held true to the post-hardcore aesthetic of the bands around the 80s and 90s. The main difference is that the music was much less chaotic in general and the lyrics were focused on real life misfortunes and mishaps, but not necessarily about broken hearts and girlfriends like how the term is perceived nowadays.

Cap'n Jazz (pictured above) one of the most influential emo (or post-emo, i'm sure some would argue) is pictured above. Notice the lack of brooding frowns and faces covered in hair. Not sure how that actually came about, but it certainly didn't start that way. The original emo and screamo music from the 90s sounded more like post-hardcore (another often misrepresented genre) than pop-punk and deathcore. I suggest doing a little research on the 90s scene a little bit if you're interested about 'real' emo music. Quotations because who's to say that these flowery bands of today are the 'real' emo music now because terms change meaning over time after all. What i'm trying to say is that what started as something about the music ended up being only about fashion.

Here are a couple of examples of emo and screamo music :

[ame='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipsjDHYu3jA']YouTube - cap'n jazz - little league.[/ame]

[ame='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edpot4xOqsI']YouTube - Orchid - I am Nietzche[/ame]

Truth be told, emo music never really died. It just sank back into obscurity and a lot of people are completely oblivious about the current midwestern revival scene. Here's a band that I enjoy :

[ame='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltG8Wm9p_lk']YouTube- Snowing - Methuselah Rookie Card[/ame]

The post was edited 1 time, last by gardenhead ().

i hate the term "emo", every song is emotional, like a song writer has to have some emotions when they were writing it otherwise they probably have not wrote it!
      emo music is brilliant, like mcr, rise againt (not really emo tho), greenday could be considered emo, same with foo fighters and linkin park and arctic monkeys.
      why does everyone have to be labeled and put in a certain genre, why cant we like music for being good??? if its good to the person then who cares, wether its hip hop, punk, dance, rock or metal??? lets listen to what we want without the constraints of what genres is what i say