Nigga... ok? or not?

• Re: Nigga... ok? or not?

She brought it up as an example. But yeah, around here it aint so hard, so gangs just fight for respect here, and sometimes people get hurt (i.e. Brass Knucks, Bats, knives, getting jumped) but noone is getting shot (only 1 on accident) or dieing.
      "I don't give a fuck, God sent me to piss the world off!"
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      langkawi.dk/Smileys-sex.htm
      bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm

i think it depends where you live really because in live n wat skl u go 2 in my school every says it as a joke and stuff not as if there trying to be racist or nothing and people dont care what skin colour you are to say it. im black myself n if 1 of my frends was to say it to me as a joke what ever there skin colour i wont be offended coz i no there jokin

Lostsoul wrote:

It's a racial slur and no one should use it. If you're black and use it and have a problem with someone else using it, you're also an idiot.
      You have a point. If one group of people can use it, why can't another?

But I'll try to make my point.

As a black girl, I can understand the mentality black people have when using that word. (I don't use it, personally) It's been a word that's kept us down for a while. So by "claiming" it and using it as a way to show brotherhood, it's a positive thing for a lot of black americans. So when someone who isn't black, especially a white person uses it, it's kind of a slap in the face, you know?

I personally am not that offended by it. It's all about context for me. When I go on myspace and see white kids calling their friends "niggers" and being all "LOL UR A NIGGER LOL" because they think it makes them "cool" or "edgy". I roll my eyes and scroll past it though.

So yeah, it's all about context. There's a difference between kids on myspace using a word to look "edgy" when in real life they don't know a single black person, and using it among friends as a way to show brotherhood. Did I explain that right? I hope so.
      i fell into a wishing well, so guess what i've been drinking? turns out you drove me into the crowd, so much for wishful thinking.

Its one of those race divide things. It generally ok for a black person or chav to say it (not so much in the case of the chav) but for a normal white person its taboo. I don't get it. If their could just be a worldwide consensus on whether or not to use the word nigger then there wouldn't be a problem. The UN should get on it right away lol.

Personally, I don't see the point in having bad words. I mean at one point, those words would have actually had a meaning and have since degenerated into slurs. I know, for example, that the word "shit" used to be a sailors term for a certain type of cargo. I forget the specifics, but the point remains the same. If people would just lighten up a bit the world could be a much better place...
      Flipperty Giblets.

But it doesn't have to be. Why can't people just agree, one way or the other, about whether or not nigger is an offensive term.

And people will inevitably change the meanings of words. Its part of the evolution of a language, but there isn't actually a need for curse words or taboo words. If people are as liberal with language as they supposedly are (particularly in the US) why can't I go out into the street and shout fuck? It really makes no sense to me that "you can say what you want, just no that and not infront of those people."
      Flipperty Giblets.

I think it's just degrading for black people. The word 'nigger' was used for decades to hate on and degrade blacks, and now they're calling each other the same thing. It's just stupid for them to call each other the same thing racists and KKK and others called them just decades before.

The not being right to say in front of people comes from standard manners. It's not that it's against the law to do it, it's just that it's considered impolite to curse.

Anyways, like my mom says: People curse because they can't think of anything better to say.
      I'm Proud to be an American.
      Pro-Choice Before Conception, Pro-Life After.
      A person cannot help what they Feel, only what they Do.
      You will never find proof of a god... because it's Faith

asoiafdude wrote:

I think it's just degrading for black people. The word 'nigger' was used for decades to hate on and degrade blacks, and now they're calling each other the same thing. It's just stupid for them to call each other the same thing racists and KKK and others called them just decades before.

The not being right to say in front of people comes from standard manners. It's not that it's against the law to do it, it's just that it's considered impolite to curse.

Anyways, like my mom says: People curse because they can't think of anything better to say.

I agree with you. It should be condemned, whoever uses it. Its a powerful word with a horrible history, and should not be used. Nobody can rationalize using it.
      In this possibly terminal phase of human existence, democracy and freedom are more than just ideals to be valued - they may be essential to survival.
      -Noam Chomsky

Its a word, thats all, its fine to say a word.

I personally, am not racist, but i think racism is hysterical. I call my friends nigga jokingly, like my nigga and i call blacks i hate niggers, which seems no more offensive tome then calling them an effing a-hole or anyone else.

IN conclusion, its just a word, but dont say it around people you dont know, some people are touchy >.>

jedar wrote:

Its a word, thats all, its fine to say a word.

I personally, am not racist, but i think racism is hysterical. I call my friends nigga jokingly, like my nigga and i call blacks i hate niggers, which seems no more offensive tome then calling them an effing a-hole or anyone else.

IN conclusion, its just a word, but dont say it around people you dont know, some people are touchy >.>

I find you to be disgusting and I don't consider myself touchy. Asshole is a completely different term than the N word and it's not the same at all. My girlfriend is black, so I especially take offense to the fact that there are ignorant people like yourself who will use a word that disparages the entire black race just out of contempt for a single person of that color.

Regular.Femme.Fatale wrote:

I use it, but I'm well aware of its history and the implications- I'd say that I'm neither ignorant nor stupid.

If you choose to use this word, I would by all means consider you to be ignorant and stupid in practice.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." [/CENTER]

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

It's not ignorant to use a word that is blatantly, ruthlessly racist and has been used for years to bring the black culture and black people down to the level of dirt?

Here:

Regular.Femme.Fatale wrote:

As for Black people saying it to each other: I think it's a word that was used offensively to Blacks that they tried to turn the meaning around. There was a system used on plantations when you were selling or trading lame or disabled slaves. 12 (or a dozen) lame or disabled slaves equaled to one slave. Around the early 1900s Blacks used the term 'playing the dozen' meaning poking fun at one another, exaggerating what others might call disablilities.

When I think of it that way I can't really tell people what they have to do, or need to do, but only what I think should happen. If two Black guys think that calling each other 'my nigga' symbolizes or solidifies their brotherly bond then who am I to tell them otherwise? Though they may not think that way- it's just a theory. A theory that still doesn't completely change my opinion on the matter.

That's from last year, actually, but it still holds.
      Except, my opinion has changed on the matter. And then sometimes I'm on the fence. It's weird with this word. It's harder than with "gay" or "retarded".
      I'm here, Karla. :]