Nigga... ok? or not?

• Re: Nigga... ok? or not?

Regular.Femme.Fatale wrote:

Here:

That's from last year, actually, but it still holds.
      Except, my opinion has changed on the matter. And then sometimes I'm on the fence. It's weird with this word. It's harder than with "gay" or "retarded".

If black people choose to use this word toward each other, that is fine by me. I dislike it, but I can't stop them. To use the word as a white person, to me, is absolutely unnecessary and beyond ignorant.

My problem with the usage of the word doesn't lie with black people, just with teenage white kids who think it's okay to call each other "nigga" because it makes them seem gangster or some shit.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." [/CENTER]

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

If black people choose to use this word toward each other, that is fine by me. I dislike it, but I can't stop them. To use the word as a white person, to me, is absolutely unnecessary and beyond ignorant.

My problem with the usage of the word doesn't lie with black people, just with teenage white kids who think it's okay to call each other "nigga" because it makes them seem gangster or some shit.

I'm Black... what made you think I was a White teenager? Why didn't you ask about my race if that's your only problem with the usage of the word?
      I'm here, Karla. :]

I'm Black... what made you think I was a White teenager? Why didn't you ask about my race if that's your only problem with the usage of the word?

I'd figured that you'd have given that disclaimer already. I didn't see you mention it, so I didn't bother to ask. My mistake.

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

I'd figured that you'd have given that disclaimer already. I didn't see you mention it, so I didn't bother to ask. My mistake.

It's fine. I just don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. I don't see any of the White posters here doing that either.

I think the assumption is made because most users here are White and because a lot of users think they know if a person's White or Black/Hispanic by the way they type.

It's fine. I just don't feel the need to shout it from the rooftops. I don't see any of the White posters here doing that either.

I think the assumption is made because most users here are White and because a lot of users think they know if a person's White or Black/Hispanic by the way they type.

Maybe for a lot of posters, but I didn't make that assumption based on your typing. Just because this a predominately Caucasian or European. And mainly because I figured on a discussion about race, you'd bring it up to provide a flip-side perspective. -shrug-

TheFunkyBunch wrote:

Maybe for a lot of posters, but I didn't make that assumption based on your typing. Just because this a predominately Caucasian or European. And mainly because I figured on a discussion about race, you'd bring it up to provide a flip-side perspective. -shrug-

Well, this thread was created because of a post I'd made in another thread and one of the mods didn't want that thread off topic.
      It didn't occur to me to have to say I'm Black because
      1) This is about whether the word is okay for the general public (not one race).
      2) No one asked.

Oh, and about the flip-side thing, there are other Black posters in this thread who chose to make that known.

Maybe it was my avatar that led you to believe that I was White and it wasn't necessary to ask.

AND, if it is about race, wouldn't the flip-side be from Whites?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Regular.Femme.Fatale ().

Well, this thread was created because of a post I'd made in another thread and one of the mods didn't want that thread off topic.
      It didn't occur to me to have to say I'm Black because
      1) This is about whether the word is okay for the general public (not one race).
      2) No one asked.

Oh, and about the flip-side thing, there are other Black posters in this thread who chose to make that known.

Maybe it was my avatar that led you to believe that I was White and it wasn't necessary to ask.

AND, if it is about race, wouldn't the flip-side be from Whites?

Once again, that necessarily wasn't it about the avatar. None of that is really unusual to me. I don't stereotype black down to the way a person types and what kind of avatar they use. Nobody would ever guess my girlfriend is black just by her Myspace or her mannerisms or the way she types. It just doesn't occur to me to associate that with race.

And not necessarily. To me, this is a thread asking is it okay for the general public to use the N word freely. I guess it just doesn't register that it wouldn't be okay for black people to use the word to me because I've never seen it as a problem. It's black people's word to use. Not whites.

I'm sorry, it's just really weird that you would assume I was White. There doesn't seem to be any reason for it... you definitely haven't given me one. I don't know- maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Well, I guess me knowing and having something to do with why this thread was created gives me a different outlook on this thread. A guy used the word and we discussed whether it should be used by anyone period, not just by Blacks.

^^^ Although it is funny I think it goes to show how the power of the word has been removed, and I don't think it's a good thing. People are becoming too acceptive of it. Thirty years ago you would never hear someone say nigga in a song, and now it's used all the time (Look up the song "Neck of the woods" by Birdman and Lil Wayne, Birdman's verse uses nigga at the end of every line). Personally I think it's a terrible word and whats worse is that people no longer treat like one.

doolie wrote:

^^^ Although it is funny I think it goes to show how the power of the word has been removed, and I don't think it's a good thing. People are becoming too acceptive of it. Thirty years ago you would never hear someone say nigga in a song, and now it's used all the time (Look up the song "Neck of the woods" by Birdman and Lil Wayne, Birdman's verse uses nigga at the end of every line). Personally I think it's a terrible word and whats worse is that people no longer treat like one.

So you think that a word having (negative) power of you is a good thing?

doolie wrote:

No, I think that people are just forgetting that it is a bad word, even if a black person says nigger it's still derogatory term. It's been over popularized and society seems to not realize the ramifications of the words use.

It's all about context. Do you think they meant anyone any harm or that there was anything negative when it was said at the concert? What were the "ramifications" for saying it then?

It's all about context. Do you think they meant anyone any harm or that there was anything negative when it was said at the concert? What were the "ramifications" for saying it then?

You're absolutely right, it is all about context. The ramifications are that people are taking it out of context and I think it being a word popularized in today's media is part of what's causing that. Sure it may be said without any intentional negative connotation, but it's still a negative term because of its history. I think its use is making it too accepted. There are lots of people who say it these days who really shouldn't, and if it wasn't used so loosely, they wouldn't use it.

doolie wrote:

You're absolutely right, it is all about context. The ramifications are that people are taking it out of context and I think it being a word popularized in today's media is part of what's causing that. Sure it may be said without any intentional negative connotation, but it's still a negative term because of its history. I think its use is making it too accepted. There are lots of people who say it these days who really shouldn't, and if it wasn't used so loosely, they wouldn't use it.

So, we're basically arguing in circles. You want to continue to let the word hold that power over you then fine, but you can't expect others (especially not rappers) to do so.