Is Rock Dead?

• Re: Is Rock Dead?

isitso wrote:

Dead? Nah. It just sucks now.

Sucks? Incorrect, it is probably better now. You are just not listening to the good bands.
      Rock is still alive and well, but it is just R&B and HipHop that has taken over the popularity. But rock is not dead. The Jonas Brothers, however, are not good. They are nothing more than one-hit wonders, it is just Disney that makes them seem so awesome.
      The good bands are: Skillet, 30 Seconds To Mars, Fall Out Boy, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, System Of A Down, All-American Rejects, Breaking Benjamin, etc.

Of course, those are some of my favourite bands (except Green Day) and others may disagree, but they have all made a name for themselves in the music industry. They may not be as well known as say Kanye West (Famous for: "Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyoncé has one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!"), but they have made a small impact on the industry.

Rock? Dead? No, it's because rockers these days don't flash themselves around like the glam-rock, Ozzy Osbourne era. Then take for example: Kelly Clarksons' concert in South Africa: 130000 people. The Killers: 200000 people. It all depend where you look though South Africa (namely Pretoria) is still very much a rock country-with more and more people listening to hip-hop and that sort of stuff, but America, for instance is mostly a pop-oriented country.

Yo 2012, imma lechoo finish, but Y2K had the best end-of-world hypes of all time, OF ALL TIME.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=4]"http://www.teenhutmagazine.com/"[/SIZE]

The post was edited 1 time, last by BattleForTheSun ().

rock is certainly not dead, the majority of what i listen to is rock, you just have to find them, you certainly are not going to find it on mtv, all they have is a bunch of manufactured rejects who cant sing, singing songs that they didnt write! rock certainly is alive an well, with bands such as green day(some might disagree with me on greenday but i think they are amazing), foo fighters, rise against, the reformation of blink 182, nickelback, rage against the machine getting back into the mainframe, linkin park to a degree, enter shikari, all american rejects, the gallows, my chemical romance, lost prophets and muse

rock isnt dead, it is very much alive and well in many different forms, but all keeping rock alive, no genre can truely die, just fade for a while

Tombgeek wrote:

The good bands are: Skillet, 30 Seconds To Mars, Fall Out Boy, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day, System Of A Down, All-American Rejects, Breaking Benjamin, etc.

These three only imho (though I've never heard any Skillet yet and possibly not enough 30STM), and even they're not in their prime at the moment...

I'd have to say rock is, for the most part, over-commercialized, but that's just about every genre out there.

Tombgeek wrote:

Sucks? Incorrect, it is probably better now. You are just not listening to the good bands.

You're only helping to prove my point, if those are the 'good' bands.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

As other people have said, it's not dead it's just not as popular now. I don't think rock is as good as it used to be though. I remember in the 90's when everything on the radio was alternative rock. I miss those days. I absolutely hate the trends going on in America right now. The 90's were where it was at.

So many people in the music industry just want the money and fame and so they change their music to match whatever is popular.
      I think the bands that are in it for the music and not the fame and fortune tend to make better music anyways.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER][COLOR="Indigo"][CENTER]Block out all your demons with
      white noise, pills, and Jesus[/CENTER][/COLOR]

Tombgeek wrote:

Lol.

Anyway, in my opinion I think the past decade has been a 'revival' decade. Garage rock, classic indie pop (twee), shoegaze and a whole lot of other stuff has surfaced. I personally think the 00s is a good decade. I can agree that mainstream rock isn't as good as it used to be, but I wouldn't call it dead or anything.

The post was edited 1 time, last by gardenhead ().

BadReligion wrote:

These three only imho (though I've never heard any Skillet yet and possibly not enough 30STM), and even they're not in their prime at the moment...

I'd have to say rock is, for the most part, over-commercialized, but that's just about every genre out there.

Skillet has been since 1996, and two out of their eight albums has been nominated for a Grammy (Collide and Comatose).
      Skillet (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

30 Seconds To Mars is can more or less agree with you on, but they are really popular at the moment, especially after their album A Beautiful Lie (with hits like "The Kill" and "From Yesterday") and more recently, This Is War.