I may be temporary parent..

• I may be temporary parent..

This sounds crazy, I know. You're all probably saying in your heads ' It's a full time thing ' . I suppose, but not for me right now. My brothers girlfriend had a baby 3 weeks ago. When the baby was born they took blood, like they'd do to any new born and found Alcohol in the baby's body. Now, there is no way for a 10 minute old baby to get ahold of any alcohol so the mother (my brother girfriend) must have drank 24 hours before. This of which, my brother did not know anything about. That sent a red flag to the Childrens Aid. They've tried to keep an eye on them, make sure the baby is safe.
      My brother was at work and they showed up, unnanounced. Although this is how they do check-ups, so she wouldn't have time to 'sober' or hide anything. She opend the door and they announced who they were and she closed the door on them. Any *Normal* person would know to never do that. Now, they've warned my brother that someone is calling and reporting her. Everyone thinks who ever did it is a hero, because they are. She drinks, and does drugs and no one finds her safe alone with the baby. My brother is great. Because she refused to have a job since about, a year ago he has to work longer hours.
      Anyways, long story short.. if she closes the door on them the baby will be put in foster care. But because I'm the god mother I will have the option of taking it until they settle everything.
      My mother said she'll help me along.. because well, i'm not exactly ready to be a full time 'parent'.....
      Link(s) removed by staff member
      [size=1]A minimum of 50 posts is required before links (excluding TeenHut.net) may be posted in signatures. Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines to prevent further action(s).[/size]
    • Re: I may be temporary parent..

well it is going to be a huge burden on you, may i ask how old you are? because your age will determine whether you will be able to cope with a new born child, it is good that your mother will be able to help you with this, i think it will be better for the baby if the baby stays with family it will be more stable surroundings, and if the baby goes into foster care it may never come out, and your brother will also be able to help out with the child so i really dont think you will be alone, but i think the needs of the child out way the needs of anything else at this time, and i would try and get the mother into some sort of rehab facility to clean herself up, because it her health also should come into consideration, and who knows in a year or two maybe she will be able to fully take control of the child and be a good mother.
      i think you are doing an amazing thing here, because you are putting the needs of the baby ahead of your own needs, and i think thats very mature and i dont think i know of many people that would do the same!!

I'm a god father. Take care of the kid.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

Im godmother to my nephew and i would do the exact same thing
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] Cassie: Do you remember when you rode with me in the ambulance after I tried to kill myself?
      Jal
      : Of course.

Cassie
      : That's what love feels like.
      [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]
      ♥
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=4]I Love You Dylan[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [SIZE=3]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]

I think it's great that you are thinking of doing this!
      I have been in a similar position with my nephew, although I'm not his godmother.. His mother gave him up, and now (well up until I got ill this year) Me and my mum were taking care of him. I was going to have legal guardianship, but since I was only 16, it was turned down, so my mum stepped in.. Anyway we did it together, and although now i'm not well enough to do the physical things like play with him, I still have input on his upbringing ect..

So anyway, back to topic.. I think that with the support you will be able to do it, your brother wouldn't have asked you to be godmother if he wasn't sure you could handle it!
      Good luck x