"Hunting is cruel"

• Re: "Hunting is cruel"

ByTor190 wrote:

Well, whats the point of spending $30 million developing something that's as warm as some types of furs? You're re-inventing the wheel.

$30 million for developing a coat? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe for Gore-Tex in general, but it has many more uses that just being coat material. And you aren't reinventing the wheel, not only is the new product more effective than the old, it's a lot cheaper to manufacture, and it doesn't require dealing in a controversial business practice (such as the entire fur industry).
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Dr.Carter wrote:

$30 million for developing a coat? I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe for Gore-Tex in general, but it has many more uses that just being coat material. And you aren't reinventing the wheel, not only is the new product more effective than the old, it's a lot cheaper to manufacture, and it doesn't require dealing in a controversial business practice (such as the entire fur industry).

I still think that the fur industry is a waste of a "controversial issue."

There are a lot worse and more pressing things in the world to be concerned about than wearing the skin of an animal that was probably going to be eaten anyway.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE="4"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"[COLOR="Magenta"]Love[/COLOR] doesn't [COLOR="Red"]hurt[/COLOR];
      the [COLOR="Blue"]absence[/COLOR] of it does."
      [/FONT][/SIZE][/CENTER]

The fur industry doesn't operate along side the meat industry; most people don't want to eat foxes, minks, beavers, etc. Meat producing animals like pigs, cows, etc. don't make fancy coats. The fur and meat industries are completely separate and autonomous.

Not to mention that many of the methods for removing fur can be pretty sickening. I'm not against killing an animal, but they don't exactly treat them well. I'd rather be shot with a captive bolt pistol like they do in slaughterhouses than be skinned alive.

But besides that, it doesn't matter if it should be a controversial issue, it is, and companies don't want to put up with ethical backlash. Large corporations have learned a long time ago not to treat their customers like rational people, it's a mutually beneficial practice; we are allowed to be consumed by materialism, and they make money.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

ByTor190 wrote:

Well, whats the point of spending $30 million developing something that's as warm as some types of furs? You're re-inventing the wheel.

"But Ug, what's the point in spending all this time making sculpting a disc with this 'axle' of yours? It's reinventing the row-of-logs-transportation-system."

Human inspiration tends to improve on its forebears. It's what keeps us going, really.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]