Friends With Benefits

• Re: Friends With Benefits

MisterLingo wrote:

Doesn't seem very safe, especially for a female. Besides, is it really that great when there's no emotional connection?

Who said there's no emotion connected? I have a friend and he's my best friend and he and I have had such a relationship for over three years. I love him to death, and that's why I'm comfortable sleeping with him. I'm not in love with him, but like I said, that doesn't mean it's emotionless.
      [CENTER]Monica | Northern California | 28 | Pilates Instructor [/CENTER]

MissMonica wrote:

Who said there's no emotion connected? I have a friend and he's my best friend and he and I have had such a relationship for over three years. I love him to death, and that's why I'm comfortable sleeping with him. I'm not in love with him, but like I said, that doesn't mean it's emotionless.

Well, you're the exception to the rule, because there are MANY women who become clingy after being F.W.B. for a time. It's happened to me before...what was supposed to be encounters strictly for sex turned into this quasi-relationship (to her anyway) and she started pressuring me into dating her and went as far as to call me her "boyfriend." Which is why I'm currently taking a hiatus from female F.W.B.'s and sticking with guys. Never once has a guy pulled anything like that on me, and I don't recall the topic of "love" ever being brought up once.

rmg126 wrote:

Well, you're the exception to the rule, because there are MANY women who become clingy after being F.W.B. for a time. It's happened to me before...what was supposed to be encounters strictly for sex turned into this quasi-relationship (to her anyway) and she started pressuring me into dating her and went as far as to call me her "boyfriend." Which is why I'm currently taking a hiatus from female F.W.B.'s and sticking with guys. Never once has a guy pulled anything like that on me, and I don't recall the topic of "love" ever being brought up once.

I can understand that, luckily I've never had a girl pull that on me either. My best friend (the female one) is in love with me but doesn't want a relationship or anything like that, so that's the closest I've gotten.

I brought up love because I will not sleep with a guy unless I love him, whether it be in love or love him like a friend.

I think it could ruin the friendship. One person is gonna want more than a friendship and ruin it. It's too risky. If you have a good thing going with your friend, why risk sleeping with them? Because sex feels good? Is a few minutes of feeling good a few times worth the risk of losing a friend that, if you are so close to, could last for years?
      Friends with benefits just doesn't seem right to me. If I wanna skeep with someone, I'm gonna want something more than just sex and a friendship like connection. Then again that's just me. Some people can do otherwise. Good for them. But it's just risking a lot of the friend is a good one.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

The peeps here who are saying FWB ruins friendships are assuming that the setup is guy + girl. ;) Yeah those are almost always fail, but guy + guy is different. ;) I've had and continue to have smashing success with guy friends that I have sex with...and that's how it stays. Never ever have I had a single bit of difficulty remaining friends with these guys. We the bearers of the Y chromosome have this sex thing figured out :cool:

Not alot of people can handle the emotional disconnect neccessary to really be friends with benefits. Many do start to get clingy or start to think of it as a relationship rather than... entertainment is probably the best word I can think of. Basically, in a FWB scenario, it has to be something the person can look at like a movie.
      Would I take a date out to a movie?- Yes Would I take a friend of mine out to a movie?-yes
      Would I take a date into the bedroom?-Yes Would I take a friend into the bedroom?-
      It really comes down to how much hype you put around sex. If you personally see it as something only to be done with the clossest person in your life and only with someone in a relationship scenario, then FWB isn't gonna be a good idea. If you can see sex as just another activity, and avoid the thought coming into you're head saying "sex means there's somemthing more special at work", then there won't be any issues.

Mec wrote:

Not alot of people can handle the emotional disconnect neccessary to really be friends with benefits. Many do start to get clingy or start to think of it as a relationship rather than... entertainment is probably the best word I can think of. Basically, in a FWB scenario, it has to be something the person can look at like a movie.
      Would I take a date out to a movie?- Yes Would I take a friend of mine out to a movie?-yes
      Would I take a date into the bedroom?-Yes Would I take a friend into the bedroom?-
      It really comes down to how much hype you put around sex. If you personally see it as something only to be done with the clossest person in your life and only with someone in a relationship scenario, then FWB isn't gonna be a good idea. If you can see sex as just another activity, and avoid the thought coming into you're head saying "sex means there's somemthing more special at work", then there won't be any issues.

See, that's not always true. I think sex is a special thing and isn't just an 'activity' that you do. However, I don't have to be in a relationship with the friend I've had a 'benefits' relationship with for almost three years now. I love him to death and he is my best (male) friend and I care about him like he's family to me.