psycho or socio?

• Re: psycho or socio?

Probably a psychopath, since a psychopath can often appear normal and is able to "fit in" society, whereas a sociopath is unorganized and easier to spot. I'd say the fact that a psychopath can easily manipulate and hide his intentions is what makes him or her more of a hazard.

That being said, both are dangerous.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TPM wrote:

very true that a sociopath would be more easily recognized. but, a psychopath has a concept of morality, whereas a sociopath does not. therefore, in my mind, the person lacking concept of morality and humanity is more potent in a society.

i agree.
      and the sociopath also dwells in and establishes himself with relation to his/her surroundings, so being isolated in a closeted space would def. have an affect on his/her behaviour, leading to a more erratic outlook on violence and retaliation.
      [RIGHT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/RIGHT]

TPM wrote:

very true that a sociopath would be more easily recognized. but, a psychopath has a concept of morality, whereas a sociopath does not. therefore, in my mind, the person lacking concept of morality and humanity is more potent in a society.
      Not exactly. Psychopaths are alienated from morality; they lack any sort of empathy and are often narcissistic. They don't have any better sense of morality than a sociopath has. Actually, psychopaths are able to intentionally mask their depraved conduct and intentions; so although they may appear to have morality, in reality, they don't. This can potentially make them more potent and dangerous than a sociopath.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Not exactly. Psychopaths are alienated from morality; they lack any sort of empathy and are often narcissistic. They don't have any better sense of morality than a sociopath has. Actually, psychopaths are able to intentionally mask their depraved conduct and intentions; so although they may appear to have morality, in reality, they don't. This can potentially make them more potent and dangerous than a sociopath.

your right, yes. when i said morality, i kinda meant morality and conscience. so.. that might chance you disagreeing..?

I say sociopath..
      sociopaths are well versed in the manipulation of those around them, and are basically for themselves. They lack the ability to feel remorse for the things they do, and are extremely impulsive. They are also (in most, if not all cases) highly intelligent and know how to hide that they are under said behavioral disorder.
      [SIZE=4]~In My Mind... I See Divine... What You May Not See Fit~[/SIZE]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TPM wrote:

your right, yes. when i said morality, i kinda meant morality and conscience. so.. that might chance you disagreeing..?
      Huh? Having morality and having a conscience are essentially one in the same. If you have a conscience, you have some sort of grasp on morality.

Ninqi wrote:

I say sociopath..
      sociopaths are well versed in the manipulation of those around them, and are basically for themselves. They lack the ability to feel remorse for the things they do, and are extremely impulsive. They are also (in most, if not all cases) highly intelligent and know how to hide that they are under said behavioral disorder.
      You have the two mixed up.

Psychopaths are highly organized, calculating, successful and detail-oriented.
      Sociopaths, on the other hand, are disorganized, disarrayed, unsuccessful and careless.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I would say psychopath, they would have the enitre mountain village slain before the sociopath would even have time to do anything. The fact that a psychopath is very organized while a sociopath just flies by the seat of their pants makes a huge difference in a small local, a psycho could have the whole town six feet under in a night (depeneding on the size of the town) or two while the socio would just sporatically kill here and there.
      What I should have said was...Nothing!

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Huh? Having morality and having a conscience are essentially one in the same. If you have a conscience, you have some sort of grasp on morality.

Not regarding Antisocial Personality Disorders.. Here, conscience refers to the ability to distinguish right from wrong. While, only in this instance regarding APDs, morality becomes synonymous with what is right and wrong.

TPM wrote:

Not regarding Antisocial Personality Disorders.. Here, conscience refers to the ability to distinguish right from wrong. While, only in this instance regarding APDs, morality becomes synonymous with what is right and wrong.
      Yes. What's your point? Psychopaths and sociopaths similarly lack both morality and a conscience. Neither contemplates the consequences of their actions. The main difference between the two is that a psychopath is organized whereas a sociopath is not.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Yes. What's your point? Psychopaths and sociopaths similarly lack both morality and a conscience. Neither contemplates the consequences of their actions. The main difference between the two is that a psychopath is organized whereas a sociopath is not.

FALSE. By the "American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual", there is clearly another major difference. Psychopathy includes the ability to conceptualize morality, therein discerning right from wrong; also, they have a conscience, but have and exercise the ability to completely ignore it. Whereas sociopathy includes neither of these traits.

TPM wrote:

FALSE. By the "American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual", there is clearly another major difference. Psychopathy includes the ability to conceptualize morality, therein discerning right from wrong; also, they have a conscience, but have and exercise the ability to completely ignore it. Whereas sociopathy includes neither of these traits.

This is what I was going to say haha

TPM wrote:

To have a conscience you must be able to feel remorseful, have a sense of guilt for immoral acts you've committed. Psychopaths feel no such remorse.
      They're amoral in the sense that they don't care about morality. Right, wrong, etc. has no baring on their actions.

From a biological standpoint, psychopathy tends to be hereditary while sociopathy results more from environmental influences.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

To have a conscience you must be able to feel remorseful, have a sense of guilt for immoral acts you've committed. Psychopaths feel no such remorse.
      They're amoral in the sense that they don't care about morality. Right, wrong, etc. has no baring on their actions.

From a biological standpoint, psychopathy tends to be hereditary while sociopathy results more from environmental influences.

Correct. Right and wrong have no bearing on their action because they choose to ignore their conscience. Mentally/physically, they have the capacity to feel remorse and grasp morality, but the CHOOSE not to. Since they have learned to not remorse, with is mentally impossible to do if a person is normal.

yes, for the second part, i agree.

TPM wrote:

Correct. Right and wrong have no bearing on their action because they choose to ignore their conscience. Mentally/physically, they have the capacity to feel remorse and grasp morality, but the CHOOSE not to. Since they have learned to not remorse, with is mentally impossible to do if a person is normal.

yes, for the second part, i agree.
      Psychopaths don't have a conscience, plain and simple, which is why those who don't feel remorse are often characterized as a psychopath or a sociopath. Where morality is concerned, they can arguably decipher between right and wrong, but it's still a gray area. Their brains are neurologically impaired (psychopaths). What they deem "right and wrong" is divergent from what we deem right and wrong.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The post was edited 1 time, last by LuklaAdvocate ().

I'd put my money on a psychopath being more of a hazard. They are generally more successful in life and could definitely achieve one of the highest points of authority in the village if they wanted to. They are able to plan their actions out and gain people's trust in a way a sociopath would most likely never be able to emulate.
      "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical no one will believe in it"-Bertrand Russell

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

Psychopaths don't have a conscience, plain and simple, which is why those who don't feel remorse are often characterized as a psychopath or a sociopath. Where morality is concerned, they can arguably decipher between right and wrong, but it's still a gray area. Their brains are neurologically impaired (psychopaths). What they deem "right and wrong" is divergent from what we deem right and wrong.

You were just saying before that morality and conscience are one in the same?

The post was edited 1 time, last by Crwydro ().