Buddhism.

• so, i have been 'christian' since i was about 13, and then i started questioning everything and decided i just didn't like what the religion was, and i've considered myself athiest for years, but i realized a while back that it makes more sense that i'm agnostic because i do believe that we have souls and that something superior happens to us after we die. so, i've been wanting to explore some other religions outside christianity, so i want to start with buddhism.
      can someone tell me a little bit about it? it's practices, beliefs, etc.
      +rep. :p
      [CENTER][LEFT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/LEFT]
      [LEFT]
      [/LEFT]
      [LEFT] yahh trick.
      [/LEFT]
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: Buddhism.

Why yes, you'll want to get in contact with our resident buddhist monk, Zen.

View Profile: Zen
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

I don't practice but I follow many beliefs of it. I feel I'd need to find more time to be able to fully re-evaluate everything then start properly if I want to do it properly. I read many Buddhist texts, hell I have around 8 books on my ipod I'm reading through atm about it. It's a wonderful religion I find and one of the few I can fully respect as it has no desire to be anything more than what it is. Some may argue other religions are like this to but these are my views.

I use this website to get my readings and also buy books if I find some in person.

BuddhaNet's Buddhist eBook Library: General Buddhism, Meditation, Theravada and Mahayana Texts, History and Art.

As for real books, I buy used though never new as many of the newer books get a bit of things wrong and feel more like "Buddhism for Dummies!". The older books on the subjects I find do a better job of explaining things.

Also if I remember correctly, you're a fellow veggie, look in the area for local temples as many offer free veggie buffets so great way to get good food and talk to someone in person about it at the same time.

Edit, actually here try reading these two. I started with these two and they are wonderful beginner's books.

The Handbook for Mankind

Good Question, Good Answer (Rev. 4th Edition)

They are in PDF format so you will a reader for them such as Adobe but most people already have one so shouldn't be that big of an issue.

oh and yes, Zen is a wonderful poster and probably the best source you'll find on the boards relating Buddhism.

The post was edited 1 time, last by leviathan ().

I believe in what you believe also. I am agnostic but having a spirtual belief is awesome, congrats :)
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [/CENTER]
      [CENTER] Cassie: Do you remember when you rode with me in the ambulance after I tried to kill myself?
      Jal
      : Of course.

Cassie
      : That's what love feels like.
      [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]
      ♥
      [/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]
      [SIZE=4]I Love You Dylan[/SIZE][SIZE=4] [SIZE=3]♥[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]