Gay Image

• Hey guys,
      So when I was coming out to myself (realizing I was gay at 14) one of the things that made hard for me was the image of what gay men act like. I felt I couldn't be me...I felt that my hopes for a partner, kids, a normal suburban life were suddenly thrown out of the window because of what hollywood, the media (right and left), and the Church put up as the 'normal GLBT life'. So it took extra long for me to come to terms with myself.
      I'm just wondering if 1) any of you (guys and girl) felt this way and 2) what do you think the GLBT community can do to help GLBT youth realize that they don't have to reject their upbringing in order to be truthfull to themselves.

Thanks!
    • Re: Gay Image

Yes -_- It is a bit depressing how GLB people are portrayed in the media... (though it does make for some very amusing entertainment xD).

I think I must have felt the same way when I was a bit younger, but you'll find that there are lots of different people out there who will help you shape your personality into what you want it to be- you don't have to just fall into the stereotype in order to exist as a homosexual :P

Ummm, I'm not so sure that the community needs to do that much? I think that people coming to terms with themselves is a really important thing and helps build incredibly strong personalities :) If I had to name something, I think pushing to have homosexuality taught in schools would be a start, because then it at least exposes closeted kids to the idea that they have the potential to live happy lives too - and from there they can decide how that will come to be :)

Tieko wrote:

Ummm, I'm not so sure that the community needs to do that much? I think that people coming to terms with themselves is a really important thing and helps build incredibly strong personalities :) If I had to name something, I think pushing to have homosexuality taught in schools would be a start, because then it at least exposes closeted kids to the idea that they have the potential to live happy lives too - and from there they can decide how that will come to be :)

and maybe straight kids (esp. boys) would be more open to guys who are gay/bi

Divinity wrote:

I'm 14, and gay.

And while I do feel that I act slightly "girlier" than most boys, I don't run around pretending to have a vagina, shoving my sexuality in people's faces.

:love1: for this

Krasseevaya;2715094 wrote:

[CENTER][SIZE=3]I kissed my best friend.[/SIZE][SIZE=3][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]But she was high, and I just wanted to see if she tasted like chocolate cake.[/SIZE][/CENTER]

This used to worry me too. I think it's sort of like a defence for our masculinity (I don't know about lesbians). For me, I thought, "yikes it's bad enough being gay, but being a tad more effeminate than most guys is a hell of a lot scarier," and I became insecure about being gay for a while. Not the fact that I was gay, but the stereotype(s) that being gay brought with it. If you stay positive, however, and realise you are who you are, and say to yourself that you're not a part of any stereotype but your own, then you'll start to look at things more differently. Plus, when you get the chance to meet other gay people, you'll see how broad the spectrum is. You'll meet some guys that you'd think to yourself "If he hadn't of told me I never would've guessed!" Don't let it get to you.

I've always been comfortable with who I am. However, the obnoxious activities of Gay Pride festivities (or for a more appropriate word, softcore orgy) have irritated me. An army of people in rainbow coloured thongs, bikinis, and drag are hardly a representation of what it means to be gay, or what equality stands for. If anything, it's counter-intuitive and creates a greater segregation between "us and them"; not to mention bloating stereotypes and pushing people so far back into the closet they end up in Narnia.

We should celebrate equality by exercising the rights we have from it and continue to fight for equality across everything.
      Where is to go nothing where do so far really like as when?

I loved the gay pride parade (went to my first this year) though I can understand where your coming from. I just take it as more of a celebration than a representation of being gay. I felt more safe, secure and accepted with my sexuality on that day then I ever have. Now I'm hardly effeminate but it's fun to just let loose for one day, the other days you just gotta put on your game face and destroy the stereotypes!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=3]
      [/SIZE]

I am 20 and gay, and luckily I never had issues accepting myself. Of course I understand that for many this might be not as easy to achieve, due to upbringing, social and religious environment, and so on.

I don't agree with the stigma put upon "flamboiant" gays. If LGBTs are portraied badly it's fault of the media superficiality: anyone should be accepted for who they are, especially in the LGBT community, where we are all rejected by society for being "different". If some people don't like the stereotypical image of gays, they should fight to give a variety of images of homosexuality if anything, not blame some people for what they are.

Talking about Pride, I have my personal point of view. I have been midly doubtful about them in the past, because of the image that such "colourful" events give of the LGBT community and of homosexuals in general. But I have to say that I had never been to one at the time, and I had just seen quick videos on the news and photos on newspapers. In the past two years, I have been to London Pride with my friends, most of whom are gay too, and I just loved it.
      First off, if you have been to Pride, you probably know that drag queens, half naked men and leathers aren't the only ones to walk in the parade. Representants of LGBT teachers, trade unions, workers in the health care, police men, and many others take part, and I assure that they go fully dressed :p Of course, the media hardly ever report such aspects of Prides :cool:
      At the same time, I think nowadays Pride is not only about claiming rights anymore (although I do think that's essential, we have LGBT associations working for that). Every time I was there I felt very accepted and free to be myself, because after all everybody at Pride is LGBT or allies :rolleyes: Personally, I love visibility, to be "out and proud", so to me partecipating means that no matter what society think, I'm happy to be myself, and not ashamed to show it :D :D
      [SIZE=2]Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't. [/SIZE][SIZE=2]- [/SIZE][SIZE=1]Mark Twain[/SIZE]

Pifilizer wrote:

I loved the gay pride parade (went to my first this year) though I can understand where your coming from. I just take it as more of a celebration than a representation of being gay. I felt more safe, secure and accepted with my sexuality on that day then I ever have. Now I'm hardly effeminate but it's fun to just let loose for one day, the other days you just gotta put on your game face and destroy the stereotypes!

While I partially understand what you're saying, when you "put on your game face and destroy the stereotypes" you're just counterbalancing that by building them right back up a thousand times larger along with lots of flamboyant men at the parade.

Just my thoughts. :p
      [SIZE="4"]初音ミク[/SIZE]
      :3

Hi

I think there is nothing wrong with the way people express themselves.

Whether you are L G B - they are simply labels.

Labels are assigned as a stereotype - therefore I do not believe in labels. I believe in the person and the character behind it.

I do admire the courage they had to admit it to the world. I don't think I could ever be brave enough to do it.

I hate the way lesbians are portrayed in everyday life; Masculine, loud, foul. I'm bisexual, and I absoloutely adore long hair on a girl. But everytime a girl chops her hair off it's a huge debate on whether she's gay or not.

I remember when I got a super short haircut in the 7th grade. The first month was pretty bad with insults and stuff, but it got a little better as the year went on.

Divinity wrote:

While I partially understand what you're saying, when you "put on your game face and destroy the stereotypes" you're just counterbalancing that by building them right back up a thousand times larger along with lots of flamboyant men at the parade.

Just my thoughts. :p

I guess since pride parades are some of the more televised and better known events in the LGBT community the flamboyancy could be toned down a bit. If for the only reason as to portray a certain image to the world. Either that or the media could stop showing only clips of flamboyant guys in leather.:nono: WE DON'T ALL LIKE LEATHER!!!:mad:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=3]
      [/SIZE]