Question about Windows 7

• Question about Windows 7

Although I use a Mac for professional reasons, at home for convenience I use an old Windows XP computer. However, Windows XP isn't going to last indefinitely, so I am faced with buying the new Windows 7.

What are the marked differences between it and the new Windows 7? I'm told the user interface is mostly similar, except for the Control Panel. And what is Windows Defender like? I presume it's the onboard firewall?

Any advice and info is gratefully received.
    Thank you. :)

Sometimes the best memories people make, are new ones.
  • Re: Question about Windows 7

AccessDenied wrote:

What are the marked differences between it and the new Windows 7? I'm told the user interface is mostly similar, except for the Control Panel. And what is Windows Defender like? I presume it's the onboard firewall?

Any advice and info is gratefully received.
    Thank you. :)

Yes, Windows Defender functions as a firewall and antimalware scanner, but I don't use it at all as I have another A/V program that I prefer. WD is supposed to be pretty robust thought.

Windows Aero is GPU-accelerated, so the cool 3D effects don't hog much RAM or CPU.

Only thing to worry about is, if the computer is too old, 7 will be far more sluggish than XP. I've always recommended a graphics card upgrade when upgrading to 7, but if the computer is a certain age or older, the graphics card will use an older interface such as "vanilla" PCI or AGP. I don't think any AGP graphics cards are still powerful enough to run Windows 7. Your best bet may be to just avoid the 7 upgrade altogether and do a periodic reinstall of XP to keep things responsive. ;)

Just for the fun of it, I installed 7 on an old Dell from 2003 that had a Pentium 4, 1 GB of RAM, a 32 MB AGP graphics card and a 30 GB 4200 RPM hard drive. The experience was not pleasant at all. Extremely sluggish, and much slower at booting/shutting down than XP. :cool:

amando96 wrote:

Probably not, because of its limited 3GB RAM. Thanks, though. :)

rmg126 wrote:

Yes, Windows Defender functions as a firewall and antimalware scanner, but I don't use it at all as I have another A/V program that I prefer. WD is supposed to be pretty robust thought.

Windows Aero is GPU-accelerated, so the cool 3D effects don't hog much RAM or CPU.

Only thing to worry about is, if the computer is too old, 7 will be far more sluggish than XP. I've always recommended a graphics card upgrade when upgrading to 7, but if the computer is a certain age or older, the graphics card will use an older interface such as "vanilla" PCI or AGP. I don't think any AGP graphics cards are still powerful enough to run Windows 7. Your best bet may be to just avoid the 7 upgrade altogether and do a periodic reinstall of XP to keep things responsive. ;)

Just for the fun of it, I installed 7 on an old Dell from 2003 that had a Pentium 4, 1 GB of RAM, a 32 MB AGP graphics card and a 30 GB 4200 RPM hard drive. The experience was not pleasant at all. Extremely sluggish, and much slower at booting/shutting down than XP. :cool:

The last bit sounded like real fun! ^^ I bet it went sluggish - W.7 uses 64-bit, doesn't it? The home brew comp we use is 32-bit. I'd imagine it might get smokin'. ;)

I think the best thing by far would be to buy a new desktop comp altogether, and use the screens already in place. What with the new browser system, and getting MS wotsit processor already factory-installed, it would be cheaper than messing around with the old one. We have a splendid Samsung monitor. It's ace. The existing desktop uses an equally brilliant Thermaltake case. I'd be inclined to re-use it.

AccessDenied wrote:

Probably not, because of its limited 3GB RAM. Thanks, though. :)

The last bit sounded like real fun! ^^ I bet it went sluggish - W.7 uses 64-bit, doesn't it? The home brew comp we use is 32-bit. I'd imagine it might get smokin'. ;)

I think the best thing by far would be to buy a new desktop comp altogether, and use the screens already in place. What with the new browser system, and getting MS wotsit processor already factory-installed, it would be cheaper than messing around with the old one. We have a splendid Samsung monitor. It's ace. The existing desktop uses an equally brilliant Thermaltake case. I'd be inclined to re-use it.

3GB of RAM is not too bad. Most systems that come with 7 have 4GB. I have Vista running pretty good on 2, and the visual differences between the 2 is minimal. The processor might be a problem though. It would be better just to get a new computer with 7 on it.

As for differences, the taskbar is different. They added a lot of functionality too it but it is a lot like the Mac dock. The file system is set up a little different with Users and program folders. Then there is UAC, which in 7 is set just to go when your installing things and making major changes. If you hate it just turn it off.

Sidewinder wrote:

3GB of RAM is not too bad. Most systems that come with 7 have 4GB. I have Vista running pretty good on 2, and the visual differences between the 2 is minimal. The processor might be a problem though. It would be better just to get a new computer with 7 on it.

As for differences, the taskbar is different. They added a lot of functionality too it but it is a lot like the Mac dock. The file system is set up a little different with Users and program folders. Then there is UAC, which in 7 is set just to go when your installing things and making major changes. If you hate it just turn it off.

That was very useful - thanks! :)

Originally the 3 GB RAM was trimmed back because the system became unstable when we first began using W.XP. The RAM was DDR2, but refitted when we were last in Greece because it was much faster. So the computer fairly well skips along, even now. It's fine for our basic needs, but the Mac beastie I use for work we can throw anything at, and it wouldn't so much as sneeze. But then, the Mac's RAM is far higher for the applications I use.

I like taskbars, so would look forward to having more practical, functional use. I'll be looking around soon.

Incidentally, a friend has an awesome Asus NX90 which uses W.7 - so I should have a snout around on it. :)

Windows 7 is extremely better than XP, and you can break the 3GB limit if you get the x64 of Windows 7 (AND if your CPU can support x64) otherwise 3GB stays the poor limit. Other than that, I've been using Windows 7 since Beta through RC and pre-ordered it and got it on release. I've loved it since Beta (even if a few of my things didn't work, but hey it was Beta) everything I use works including shit that's not supposed to work. Overall, I'd only ever use 7 on a system with Intel 2 Core Duo with 1.5GB or more, anything lower and I'll be like this: :nono:

Control Panel is not much of a difference, its better in my opinion.. And if you're one of those people that loved the Classic Mode in Control Panel, well it's pretty the same in that section. But yeah, Win7 FTW.

SE7EN wrote:

Windows 7 is extremely better than XP, and you can break the 3GB limit if you get the x64 of Windows 7 (AND if your CPU can support x64) otherwise 3GB stays the poor limit. Other than that, I've been using Windows 7 since Beta through RC and pre-ordered it and got it on release. I've loved it since Beta (even if a few of my things didn't work, but hey it was Beta) everything I use works including shit that's not supposed to work. Overall, I'd only ever use 7 on a system with Intel 2 Core Duo with 1.5GB or more, anything lower and I'll be like this: :nono:

Control Panel is not much of a difference, its better in my opinion.. And if you're one of those people that loved the Classic Mode in Control Panel, well it's pretty the same in that section. But yeah, Win7 FTW.

Many thanks, Matt. Very helpful and informative. :)

The home brew comp we use is an Intel 2 Core Duo, that nice 2.66Gz, a pretty fast little system even though it must be a good 4 years old now. Its Thermaltake case helps keep the innards nice and cool even in Kalymnos during summertime's 90F, and the machine is quiet, considering. The case has 6 fans going and was enough to keep the machine from zonking out.

I've boned up Amando's link and found it handy - thanks, mate. I think migrating over to Win7 is going to be exciting, at least. :)

rmg126 wrote:

Core 2 Duo? Oh! :D That's not that old at all (well, slightly obsolete now, but by no means terrible.) And that also tells me there's a PCIe x16 slot for a video card if you decide to get one. :D

nthdelusion wrote:

you could always upgrade your ram and cpu.....

Got me interested now, you two.. what if I pillaged the guts of the comp, saved the case and added a new CPU? My ex-bf, still friendly, is a comp techie. Would it be financially viable to salvage the comp and build it up for Win7?

I've no idea. But for you techie heads, here's the spec. It was a year 2006 build.

~ * ~

LGA 775 for Intel® Dual Core Core™ 2 Extreme / Core™ 2 Duo / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D
    - FSB 1066/800/533 MHz
    - Supports Hyper-Threading Technology
    - Supports Untied Overclocking Technology
    - Supports EM64T CPU Chipset - Northbridge: Intel® 945P
    - Southbridge: Intel® ICH7R Hybrid Booster - CPU Frequency Stepless Control
    - ASRock U-COP
    - Boot Failure Guard (B.F.G.) Memory
    - Dual Channel DDRII memory technology
    - 4 x DDRII DIMM slots
    - Supports DDRII 667/533
    - Max. capacity: 4GB*
    *Due to the chipset limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® XP, Windows® XP 64-bit,
    Windows® Vista™ and Windows® Vista™ 64-bit. Needed for full 4GB
    Slots - Supports ATI CrossFire™
    - 6 x PCI slots
    - 2 x PCI Express x 16 slot
    - 1 x AGI Express slot (PCI Express x 4)
    - 1 x PCI Express x 1 slot Graphics - n/a Audio - Realtek ALC888 7.1channel CODEC with High Definition Audio LAN - Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
    - PCIE x 1 Realtek RTL8111B
    - Supports Wake-On-LAN Connector - 4 x Serial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5 and Intel® Matrix Storage), NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions
    - 2 x eSerial ATAII 3.0 Gb/s connectors (shared with 2 SATAII ports), support "Hot Plug" function
    - 2 x ATA100 IDE connector (supports 4 x IDE devices)
    - 1 x Floppy connector
    - 1 x IR header
    - 1 x HDMI_SPDIF header
    - 2 x IEEE 1394 headers
    - CPU/Chassis FAN connectors
    - 20 pin ATX power connector
    - 4 pin 12V power connector
    - SLI/XFire power connector
    - CD in header
    - Front panel audio connector
    - 6 x USB 2.0 headers (support 12 USB 2.0 ports) Rear Panel I/O ASRock 8CH_eSATAII I/O
    - 2 x PS/2 Mouse Ports
    - 2 x PS/2 Keyboard Ports
    - 2 x COM Ports
    - 2 x Parallel Ports (ECP/EPP Support)
    - 6 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports
    - 4 x eSATAII Ports
    - 1 x RJ-45 LAN Port
    - HD Audio Jack: Side Speaker / Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front
    Product Group CPUs

Manufacturer INTEL

SKU 3567

Product Name INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6700 1066FSB SKT775 RET

Web Address Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Server and Embedded Processor Technology - Intel

Model Number private

Package Type Retail

Warranty 3 Years Direct With Manufacturer

Interface Socket 775

Bus Speed 1066MHz

Core Name Conroe

Core Frequency 2x 2.66GHz

Core Voltage 1.35v

Process Technology 65nm

L1 Cache 32KB + 32KB

L2 Cache 4MB

Special Features Intel Wide Dynamic Execution
    Intel Intelligent Power Capability
    Intel Smart Memory Access
    Intel Advanced Smart Cache
    Intel Advanced Digital Media Boost

Package Contents Heatsink & Fan

AccessDenied wrote:

Got me interested now, you two.. what if I pillaged the guts of the comp, saved the case and added a new CPU? My ex-bf, still friendly, is a comp techie. Would it be financially viable to salvage the comp and build it up for Win7?

- 2 x PCI Express x 16 slot

Honestly your current CPU should be fine, as a 2.66 GHz C2D is more than decent enough to run Windows 7. The important thing is upgrading to a new graphics card, which would go in one of the 2 slots as highlighted above. You can get a very good midrange card here in the US for just over 100 dollars, I'm not sure what prices are like over there, but yeah. I'd say keep your current case, motherboard and CPU, and max it out to 4 GB RAM + Windows 7 x64 + ATI Radeon 5670 1GB. ;)

Aleksandr wrote:

Uh, it's as obsolete as the HMS Formidable is compared to the HMS Agamemnon.

Okaayyyyy...........