Taking a 'break'?

• Taking a 'break'?

I dont know what to think of this. The boy im dating cant handle a relationship at this time, and has been stressed out, distant etc. and he's going away for vacation in a week for two weeks. He says he doesnt want to damage our relationship by leaving for two weeks and have issues building up. I just dont understand, i can't tell if he just cant tell me that he doesnt want to see me anymore, or if its sincere. I dont know what to do during this break, i dont know what he'll do during the break. I just dont know what to think of the entire situation. Any advice on how to handle this? or any questions i could ask him to make it more clear?
      Thanks in advance
    • Re: Taking a 'break'?

I think it would be right that you two take a break for a few weeks till he can work something out. But it is still right that you at least text him a once a week to make sure he is alright or if he wants to talk about him working out his stress. Don't text him to much because then that would ruin the point of the break.

What you should tell him is that you two need a break for a few weeks till he is a little bit better. Also tell him that you are not breaking you two apart, but only a few weeks break. Sometimes a break can save a relationship from going overboard.

[SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE]

If he's been stressed out and distant recently he's most likely sincere. If you're unclear on the situation you should definitely ask him about it - what issues would build up? Why is he worried?
      If you're concerned about your relationship, maybe you could plan a surprise for him for when he gets back, just the two of you. Something to help him relax and show him how much you care.

In all honestly, taking a 'break' during a two week vacation sounds a little sketchy to me. Maybe he just wants to spend his vacation single so he can do whatever he wants? If he just needs time to think, two weeks apart is like a break in itself - I don't know why it would have to be made so official. I hope this isn't the case and he just needs space to figure things out, just be careful and best of luck to you. :)

Dude you can ask us whether or not we think he's being sincere or not, but you're the one who knows him and you know what he's like. So perhaps you should ask yourself the question "do I have any reason to doubt him?" Is he a truthful person who would tell you if there was a problem? Is he the kind to ditch you? Imagine you had his personality and think what he would do. It seems to be more swayed towards him being sincere doesn't it? He's stressed out with a lot of things at the moment you say. Well - if you were stressed out, had family issues, friend issues, school issues etc. would you really want the extra stress of tending to a lover? He doesn't have the energy to maintain a relationship by the sounds of it from what you've said. You need to give him the benefit of the doubt for now and see what happens when he's back from his vacation - only then can you make an informed decision based on what his actions are upon returning.

Lotsa huggles from Anna :)
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Purple"][CENTER][I]
      Heaven hath no rage like love to hatred turned,
      Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Okay, I think he's being sincere to be honest 'cause in this situation it just sounds like it..

Well, hell. I still don't understand it.. I know the OP is s'posed to be the one getting answers, but why does he need to go on a break just because he's going on holiday?! :confused:
      I went to France when I had a boyfriend, and I went for 2 weeks, but that doesn't mean I broke up with my boyfriend 'cause I was going on vacation?

You said he needs to sort out stresses too.. You guys been going rough then?

first off i want to thank everyone for the advice. so i was curious about the same thing some of you mentioned . the fact he took the break right before a vacation. so i talked to him about it, and he said he really wwants to relax and not stress about our relationship out of fear that when he gets back ill be distant because we havnt spoken to much. so i started to think he wanted to be single for these two weeks. so i asked him about that and he claims he wants to find himself emotionally not sexually, and we clarifyed the loyalty a relationship has still stands. i asked him if 1 when he is less stressed and feels like he found himself, we will be back together without a doupt.iin which he said yes. and lastly i asked him if he stil
      loved me, and he said yes. hes not a liar at all so i guess i can trust him. but ive never been in this situation befoore so iim still worried

That sounds perfect to me :) And I see his logic too. He's trying to say that because he's stressed now, he would rather put the relationship on hold so that you don't end on bad terms, meaning that he feels he or you will be distant before the relationship. He just wants to make sure it's okay now and have a fresh start after he's had chance to relax :) That's normal and he's being really mature and rational about things. Don't worry dude, it's fine x
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Purple"][CENTER][I]
      Heaven hath no rage like love to hatred turned,
      Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

Ohemgee wrote:

..he said he really wants to relax and not stress about our relationship out of fear that when he gets back ill be distant because we havnt spoken to much...

I'll play the devil's advocate and say he is just being passive-aggressive and doesn't have the nerve to end it properly. Seriously, how much "stress" could there be if you were in a good relationship?

Hope I'm wrong :blush:

From the guy's perspective, you should probably keep in touch with him during his break (Text is pretty good since it isn't too demanding, but if you two call/videochat/etc that's fine, whatever works). Just go easy on him, as long as he knows that your feelings toward each other are still mutual there's nothing wrong with taking some time off to focus on other interests or get away from it all.