Sb 1070

• Re: Sb 1070

Funny, me and nine other artists dedicated months to this installation in regards to the SB 1070. We used tape dummies to represent immigrants and a fence to represent a border. The tape dummies are positioned with their hands behind their backs, bagged heads, and to their knees which symbolizes inferiority. Saturday and Sunday, we had to install this piece guerrilla-style, baby! Many responses were evoked.

I'm just alarmed that the legislature itself has passed in Arizona. It enables racial profiling and it's unconstitutional.
      [CENTER]You bitches are beautiful. :hugs:[/CENTER]

armyforthebroken wrote:

I'm just alarmed that the legislature itself has passed in Arizona. It enables racial profiling and it's unconstitutional.

It does not enable racial profiling! What this bill does is take an existing, thats right existing, federal immigration law and give the Arizona police the right to enforce it. This can be used on any immirgant into the USA! But since there are not that many illegal Canadian immirgants in Arizona, many people who are misinformed or get all of their information from "news sources" like CNN think that it is racial profiling because Arizona is inundated with illegal immigrants from Mexico.
      What I should have said was...Nothing!

Much of this discussion has been handled in another thread, albeit on a broader scale, here.

alfaspider06 wrote:

It does not enable racial profiling! What this bill does is take an existing, thats right existing, federal immigration law and give the Arizona police the right to enforce it. This can be used on any immirgant into the USA!

I want to be clear here: I am genuinely interested in finding out the name/designation of this federal immigration law. If anyone can tell me, please do so.

alfaspider06 wrote:

many people who are misinformed or get all of their information from "news sources" like CNN think that it is racial profiling because Arizona is inundated with illegal immigrants from Mexico.

Damn.
      I should have watched Fox News. Their fair and balanced news reporting always hits the spot.

Seriously though, it's rather obvious that EVERY news outlet has a bias. CNN, FOX, everyone! It's a matter of looking at each source and determining which parts of the coverage are contested and forming your own opinion based on facts.
      [SIZE=2]Your Favorite Lovable Mascot: ZAPFOX! :poke:[/SIZE]
      [CENTER]Stop Military Rape!
      [/CENTER]

SB 1070 wrote:

A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER, WITHOUT A WARRANT, MAY ARREST A PERSON IF THE OFFICER HAS PROBABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE THAT THE PERSON HAS COMMITTED ANY PUBLIC OFFENSE THAT MAKES THE PERSON REMOVABLE FROM THE UNITED STATES.

However, the bill makes the presence of any alien, legal or illegal, a public offense if they either don't have their registration papers or refuse to apply for them. Since those from Mexico and Central America are the "only" ones that happen to "jump the border," Hispanics and Latinos are targeted by this law, and the very fact that they're Hispanic or Latino is enough probable cause for a lot of officers.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      Click this, sign up, click stuff, get paid[/CENTER]

zapfox wrote:

I want to be clear here: I am genuinely interested in finding out the name/designation of this federal immigration law. If anyone can tell me, please do so.

That would be everything under USC title 8, chapter 12: specifically § 1302 under subsection 11.

In sum, the Federal Government requires that all aliens or immigrants have the required paperwork. Those who fail to have this paperwork may face jail time pursuant to the Federal Immigration and Nationality Act. Illegally trespassing within the United States is a wobbler offense (that is, could be considered misdemeanor or felony).

SB 1070 gives authority to Arizona state troopers to handle the detainment of anyone breaking these Federal laws which has previously been the sole responsibility of the woefully inadequate Immigration and Naturalization Services. There is not any specific provisions within the bill which makes it discriminatory, nor is there any specific provisions in the bill which makes it non-discriminatory. What has left this open for attack is that the public does not understand such legal terms as probable cause and so they think this bill is telling the police to be racists. If an officer were to arrest an illegal without probable cause and was unable to articulate any such thing at the illegal's hearing then the illegal would be let go and the officer likely reprimanded. Skin color alone can not be used for probable cause and those who are unfamiliar with police procedure simply do not understand this.

In short, I support this bill wholeheartedly and hope that it is extended to California.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

zapfox wrote:

Damn.
      I should have watched Fox News. Their fair and balanced news reporting always hits the spot.

Seriously though, it's rather obvious that EVERY news outlet has a bias. CNN, FOX, everyone! It's a matter of looking at each source and determining which parts of the coverage are contested and forming your own opinion based on facts.

I know every news channel is baised, the only reason I only named CNN was in an effort to save time. What really upsets me is the fact that everyone knows Fox is baised, but nobody says anything about how CNN, MSNBC and the others are baised as well.
      What I should have said was...Nothing!

DeaExMachina wrote:

That would be everything under USC title 8, chapter 12: specifically § 1302 under subsection 11.

Thank you for taking the time to post that :)

alfaspider06 wrote:

I know every news channel is baised, the only reason I only named CNN was in an effort to save time. What really upsets me is the fact that everyone knows Fox is baised, but nobody says anything about how CNN, MSNBC and the others are baised as well.

Yes, I agree that it's a shame. While I am not the kind of person that Fox appeals to, I can understand conservative frustrations about news bias that goes unnoticed in the more left-leaning networks. Because today's news is dominated by more liberal outlets, well... you know the rest.

While I am left-leaning, it frustrates me that people like Rush Limbaugh are consistently bashed even though there are liberal commentators that are the same distance from the middle of the spectrum as Limbaugh is, just on the left side.

The news really should only report as the stories truly are, but the gatekeepers make sure that only their views are expressed.
      [SIZE=2]Your Favorite Lovable Mascot: ZAPFOX! :poke:[/SIZE]
      [CENTER]Stop Military Rape!
      [/CENTER]

zapfox wrote:

Because today's news is dominated by more liberal outlets, well... you know the rest.

That isn't entirely true. There are more mainstream networks such as CNN or MSNBC which have liberal bias but Rubert Murdoch's Fox and subsidiary networks (of which it owns many) reach 3/4th of the entire world's population. As far as I'm concerned the Murdoch media dominates the media, the globe's media.

Also, the big issue with Fox is that unlike the other news outlets who may spin a story in favor of them, Fox has a distinct and well known habit to make news up. Fox anchors have been sued for both slander and libel related to outright lies not to mention they have the famous Akre and Wilson lawsuit where Fox won a $1.7 million counter-suit against two of its employees doing a whistle blower action over Fox's breach of Federal Communications Act. So the reason Fox gets more heat is because it takes things beyond the rest of the media, not that I want to call Fox a media outlet.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]