Racist jokes.

• Racist jokes.

Are racist jokes funny? 26
        I think they are funny. (9) 35%
        I think some are funny. (8) 31%
        They are not funny. (2) 8%
        We are in the 21st century, I think we should put race behind us and just laugh. (10) 38%
      I think they are funny.
      I think some are funny.
      They are not funny.
      We are in the 21st century, I think we should put race behind us and just laugh.
    • Re: Racist jokes.

yep, but thats not going to happen... Besides every race has good stereotypes as well as bad ones, for example the stereotype of black people being good at anything athletic and having huge penises, Ill take that... Irish people have drinking like a badman etc. etc.
      I'm part black and part Irish :cool:
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Lighten up people and stop being racists; racist jokes are hilarious.
      Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind. ~Immanuel Kant, Critique of Pure Reason
      [CENTER]The greatest thing you'll ever learn
      Is just to Love
      And be Loved in return
      [/CENTER]

dusk wrote:

yep, but thats not going to happen... Besides every race has good stereotypes as well as bad ones, for example the stereotype of black people being good at anything athletic and having huge penises, Ill take that... Irish people have drinking like a badman etc. etc.
      I'm part black and part Irish :cool:

Yeah, people don't get it that racial stereotyping and racism are two very different things. "Racism" is one of those terms that gets thrown around a lot, but with very few actually understanding what it means.

It should be further noted that stereotypes exist for a reason.

There was a time when I think I shared the opinions of most of the responses to this thread, and to a broad extent I still do. I do think that jokes on race are a stepping stone to moving towards a society in which race truly doesn't matter.
      But the change took place when, with a large group of people last spring, I found myself in some racist joke banter. The group was almost all white, aside from a black person who we'd all just met and nobody really knew. The jokes stuck around Asian and Indian jokes, before the black guy had to go, leading to a sudden outpouring of black jokes. The whole thing just struck me as rather hypocritical, and it wasn't enough to me that it was done in an 'ironic' way.

I just feel that, at the moment, the 'racist joke community', so to speak, is still made up mostly of sniggering white people nudging and winking and reassuring themselves that it's okay because they don't really mean it and they're being ironic, but whose confidence cynically evapourates in certain situations, taking all the fun out of the joke because it has now moved down a path of exclusivity which is not what racist jokes should be about at all. If they're not to be racist, they have to be inclusive.

Of course, it's hard to tell a black joke to a black person you don't know - even a friend. Maybe what is needed is a pioneer or two, as that tends to be how entertainment, of which comedy is part of, moves forward.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

There are boundaries that need not to be crossed. There are funny ones but there are also offensive ones.

Speaking of someone who endures A LOT of racist jokes I try to avoid them. Because usually they are thrown at me personally instead of in a general stereotypical way. Even if you don't mean to hurt someone with them and it's funny to you, they can still do damage.

I mean seriously, can you imagine being from the middle east and someone always making jokes about you blowing things up? That would make me feel like crap.

The post was edited 1 time, last by xNerRadx ().

It ultimately depends on what the joke is about. One I have heard a lot, that is quite horrible:
      Q: What do you call a black person on a yogo stick?

A: Shit on a stick.

(hope I am not offending anyone by posting it- no offence is desired).

How anyone can find jokes such as this one funny is beyond me. But if the joke uses race without necessarily attacking or being crude, I don't have many problems with it.

☺ wrote:

It ultimately depends on what the joke is about. One I have heard a lot, that is quite horrible:

(hope I am not offending anyone by posting it- no offence is desired).

How anyone can find jokes such as this one funny is beyond me. But if the joke uses race without necessarily attacking or being crude, I don't have many problems with it.

Exactly. A lot of people don't know when to stop so I think it's best to just leave racist jokes alone.

I know/hang around with people of plenty of ethnic backgrounds, and I crack racist jokes all the time. It completely depends on the context they're used in, and/or whether you're prepared to take them in return. Mate I went to school with for example, his old man is Pakistani, and we lay into him with cheap jokes ALL the time. What makes it funny is the fact he takes it, doesn't get too offended by it, and just lays cheap jokes, not always racist, back at us. It's just banter. I have Irish and Spanish in my bloodline somewhere, and since telling my mates I now get battered with gypsie and pikey jokes. I don't get offended by it 'cause I know it's not malicious. That's where the line is drawn. The same friend of mine, me and a load of my friends were kicked out of McDonalds on Saturday because one of the staff called him a paki, with the intention of it being offensive, so we all kicked off at him. When you're friends with someone, or the atmosphere is right, it can be called banter, otherwise, it's just ignorant as fuck.

But, personally, I love racist jokes, from the witty to the downright sick, I find most funny xD
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]