Saying "Thats gay", is it offensive?

• Re: Saying "Thats gay", is it offensive?

dusk wrote:

I know several gay guys that say it all the time so...

Yeah, same here.

I don't think it's a big deal. When someone says something is gay or uses it as an insult it doesn't mean they have anything against gay people...it's just a word. I do see how people can get offended by it, but they need to grow up.
    • Re: Saying "Thats gay", is it offensive?

xapachexrosex wrote:

saying "that's gay" is just as offensive as saying "that's retarded"

I don't think saying "that's retarded" is offensive at all. I got chewed out by a women with a son with special needs because she heard me say that. I'm sorry but "retarded" is the word that was used to describe them back in the day. It wasn't always derogatory, we made it that way. I say it in a sentence to convey a point. Not in comparison to someone's condition.
      [CENTER] <3
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: Saying &quot;Thats gay&quot;, is it offensive?

It doesn't offend me personally.

However; I can and have seen how it does offend others. The word gay is technically a positive affirmation of one's sexuality. By saying "that's so gay" when you mean 'I don't agree with this on principle because it's unfair/unjust/just plain fucked up' you technically insulting both the aforementioned thing and the very identity of your gay friends. I actually don't think its all that different from insulting any other minority group (ie- religion, physical disabled etc)

So whilst it doesn't personally offend me, I do not use the term myself because I know there are people out there whom it offends and in a way it could actually be making it more difficult for gay people to come out as it creates a kind of pseudo hostile environment.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

♥Megan wrote:

Not to me. People just really need to relax and stop taking stuff so seriously.

I couldn't agree more!!!!! You can't say or do so many things now because people think too much about what you may have meant when it honestly wasn't meant as an insult at all. If you don't like a black person you must be racist. If you say gay you suddenly hate gays and are disrespectful. If you say retarded you're insulting and rude. It can be annoying when people say gay all the time but usually people don't mean any harm. Just calm down people! Not everything is an insult!!

South Park covered this quite well, with the word Fag (făg) n.

1. An extremely annoying, inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley riders.

2. A person who owns or frequently rides a Harley.

I think gay is in the same context.. As not referring to a homosexual, but something retarded..
      "I'm gods lonely man"

Doesn't bother me, but then I'm not gay.
      If it annoys you, next time someone says it, correct them:
      'That's gay!'
      'No, that's Muslim'

Might make them think twice about it, people generally don't want to be accused of religious intolerance, and if they do, then why're you friends anyway?
      [CENTER][COLOR="Green"]If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
      [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I think that it can definitely be offensive. I personally have a habit of saying "oh thats gay." and I try to correct myself everytime. You have to think of it like would I want to send that message to someone else that something stupid is "gay"? It all depends on how you use the word though. It's generally not wordst that are offensive it's the intentions behind them.
      Horror Movie Rules:
      1. Never Split Up
      2. Don't go and investigate
      3. If people start missing one at a time its time to BOLT!

Alex wrote:

Wouldn't gays want to get rid of the word altogether? I mean, why segerate even more by labeling a sexuality? It's love.

lol, this makes little sense. Gay (when referring to homosexuality) isn't a negative word. Like I said before its a positive affirmation of one's sexuality. I'm all for anti-segregation but there needs to be some differentiation between sexuality in a language sense. Just like there's also the positive affirmations: bisexual, transsexual, asexual, pan-sexual, trans-gender, intersex and non-normative-heterosexual. (these are just some established sexualities and are generally (or at lease should be) used in a positive way to define a person's sexuality.
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

xNerRadx wrote:

It is overused. Like "no homo". That is SO annoying. It's obviously homo if you have to say "no homo". And if it hurts you that much to be homo for 2 seconds, you don't need to be doing whatever it is you did.

No, but it could be perceived as being a homosexual comment, which is why some feel the need differentiate.

I think that by saying 'oh that's so gay' meaning 'that's so stupid/crap/disgusting' is just giving a negative spin on the word gay so people will then think negativly towards gay people so I usually give my friends into trouble when they say it.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      I like it rough! :devil:
      [/CENTER]