can't control my emotions!

• can't control my emotions!

im 18 years old & yet i cry like a new born child. i hate crying but its like i cant help it at all & idk what to do. my mom fusses at about crying all the time & that just makes me cry even more. i cry about everything, i even cry about crying smh. i wish there was some way i could get rid of this problem. i dont wanna go see a shrink about it b/c i wouldnt be able to talk to them b/c i know i'll cry then too! ...& they'll think i've totally went off the deep end. i'll be happy with meds if it would stop me from crying, im desperate at the moment.

does anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to stop this crying. i've did research about it & i think i am emotionally sensative. this may seem like a minor problem to some but to me it a major deal. thanx! :)
      [SIZE=3]_________[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3]skyrider :cool:[/SIZE]

Turn the situations that you cry over into situations that you can cope with. How do you go about doing this?

Put yourself into even worse situations that test your mettle. Basically, toughen up. Try some things on the wild side (not in the hooker sense :P) and i'm sure you will stop crying over petty things.

Also, you can try increasing your testosterone levels (long term solution).

-Working out
      -Consuming sufficient fruits and vegetables
      -Have eggs more often
      -Consumption of more white meats
      -Have almonds, peanuts, walnuts (etc)
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]Talent is built,
      not inherited....
      [/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: can't control my emotions!

First off, everyone thinks that the second they walk into a therapist's office, they're walking out with meds. Not true. There are two common types of shrinks. Psychologists, and psychiatrist. A psychologist is the one you would see first, and you would talk about why you are crying all the time, and what can be done to fix the problem. They do not give out meds, but work with you on what is causing the problem, and ways to solve it.

A psychiatrist is someone you would see if the psychologist thought you needed medication, which I really doubt they would do. And they wouldn't just go willy nilly with the meds, they would ask you if you wanted it first. If you don't then you don't get them. Simple as that.
      ---
      Now, you're crying a lot. I used to as well, for no reason. For about a year before I decided I needed to talk to someone about things. That's when I went to a psychologist. Whether you want to go and see one is up to you. If you really think this is out of hand, and that you need someone just to talk to, you can see one.

Now lets see, what is going on in your life right now? The good, the bad, everything. You are not crying for no reason. There is something that is causing it, but you just might not know what it is. So let's think for a minute, and make a list of the things that are really upsetting you, and things that are not so upsetting, but they're still happening and bother you. If you just think you're too emotional, that's fine. Let's just see what's making you so emotional.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]
    • Re: can't control my emotions!

thank you both for your advice, this really means a great deal to me! but the main problem that is going on in my life, is the relationship between my father & i. its not the relationship that a father & daughter should have. we rarely have conversations about what is going on in each other's lives, & it seems as if he doesnt want to spend anytime with me now that im leaving for college. i try to stregthen our bond but its like he doesnt put forth effort whatsoever. this really depresses me quite often & i begin to cry, once i start i just cant stop.

thats really the only thing that i can think of that would cause me to cry. but, on the other hand, i am WAY too emotional as well. if i wasnt so emotional, this wouldnt bother to the point where it would make me cry.
      [SIZE=3]_________[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3]skyrider :cool:[/SIZE]

The relationship between a father and daughter being strained can be a reason to cry. I mean, he's your father, and you should want a strong relationship between the two of you.

You say you try to bring your relationship closer, well how? Do you ask about his day? Tell you of his? Perhaps if you brought this up to him, he would start to be more understanding of what you're going through. He may not even realize that you want to be closer to him, and just bringing it up may get him to see it.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]