What do you think of cutting?

• Re: What do you think of cutting?

I've done it before, I'm not gonna be stupid and say that it's horrible to do, etc. When someone's in that situation, somehow cutting seems like the only way to let it out. For me though, it was more of a punishment thing. I think there are better ways to let your anger and despair and depression out, it's just hard to find them at that time, if that makes any sense, probably doesn't.
      formspring.me/LeeAnderson Eh formspring me I suppose. I have fallen to a new level...

People who cut, mentally are pussies, i totally agree with what alexia said, your mentally weak if you cut, and that's it. I know people who have done it and ill tell them there weak. Dont baby those who cut unless they can learn to just deal they'll continue resorting to cutting for attention. Ugh panzies makes me sick, america needs more men.

that is true, I use to self harm ages ago and people say it is for attention, nope sorry lol. I didn't want to show anyone. It was to release pain, to harm myself as i hated myself and was a way to stop myself from taking my life. I think cutting is bad in the sense it is not the right way to deal with certain situations, but it is better than suicide...

I don't look down upon people who do cut, and I actually have a very close friend who does. I try my very best to support them and convince them not to cut, but I can only do so much. This person does have emotional issues, possibly even a mood disorder, which is undiagnosed and untreated. People who cut aren't addicted either, it's simply a habit. Not even a habit, more of a place where they can go to feel at peace. They give themselves to it, and it gives back serenity. It's a very negative way of achieving such peace, but it's their way for the time being. I do believe though that it cannot be allowed to go on, because it can be dangerous, with getting infections, cutting too deep, etc. I don't look down on people who do, I have concern for them, because cutting and suicidal thoughts, plans, and attempts are linked with self harm.
      [CENTER]
      [CENTER]The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature; reason, honesty and love.
      The only demons we need fear are those that lurk inside every human mind; ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Alexia wrote:

A mind that doesn't know how to cope is weak.

it may not always be a coping mechanism (not for every single person out there that cuts) for some (like me) it can be for pleasure. i used to cut (and still do sometimes) simply because i enjoy it... i know it sounds weird but i just like it. when someone is in a state of mind where the cutting isn't because they can't handle something or because they don't know what else to do to cope, but a way to induce pleasure, i'd naturally think they're mentally strong because usually people do not like the pain or the blood, they can't handle it mentally. and sure there are people out there who cut for attention, but thats not everyone. and those who think people that cut are mentally pussies, well lets look at it this way, they're able to take a blade, run it down their own skin, splitting it apart while the blood rushes out while they're watching, fully conscious. now let me see one of those "non-pussy" people do the same thing without yelling or anything from the pain.

Whether it is bad or good is dependent on what the person doing it thinks. If they do it and wish they didn't, or if they feel they are addicted, it is probably bad and they more than likely would benefit from stopping. On the other hand, if the person thinks it's good and that they aren't addicted, i suppose it is a legitimate coping mechanism.

-Fear

To everyone who is saying people who cut are weak. Imagine if you were in a state of mind where you weren't sure you even wanted to live anymore, and the only thing that could make it better was the pain of slicing into your skin and seeing the blood flow out. Would you rather kill yourself or cut yourself? It's a coping mechanism for so many people who have bigger issues but aren't able to talk about them. For some people, it's hard to talk about their feelings, so this is how they deal.
      Cutting is also an addiction. It can be as addictive as, and to some even more addictive than drugs or alcohol. The release of endorphins into the brain can give such a rush, and if it's the only way for some people to get this rush, then it becomes an addiction.

I'm not endorsing cutting, because it has fucked up my life majorly, but I'm just saying that these people are not necessarily weak, they just have some problems in their lives, and by calling them weak, it's going to make them more depressed and make them want to cut again. Think about that next time you post something like that on a public forum with the knowledge that many people on here do self-harm.