Terrorism - is it being overplayed?

• Terrorism - is it being overplayed?

Terrorism - Overplayed? 17
        Yes, everyone needs to stop worring about it. (4) 24%
        No, a devastating attack like 9/11 can not be forgotten. (2) 12%
        Somewhat, we should at least keep an eye on it. (11) 65%
      What do you think of it?

--

My personal opinion is that it is. While 9/11 was a devastating travesty, I do believe that it's getting old. It's getting to the point where whenever I hear the word terrorism or 9/11, I almost roll my eyes. It's almost as if it's a scare tactic, which I don't like at all. :(
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Manny ().

• Re: Terrorism - is it being overplayed?

I don't take 9/11 lightly at all because it was a serious REAL event. But when I hear about all these terrorist threats and what not, I just don't care. I do feel like it's getting old. Like people bringing bombs on planes... really?... It's getting old. And most of the time, they get caught or there makeshift bomb is crap and nothing ever happens.

☺ wrote:

I think it would be extremely sad if people stopped paying attention to terrorism.
      You can't just ignore something that is still going on.

I don't think it should be ignored to a certain extent. I just think citizens shouldn't jump, scream, and run every time they hear about a shoe bomb on an airplane. I say, just put it in the authorities hands and keep living your life. Their's nothing you can do about it right? Now if it's a case like the recent stabbings of men by the Israeli man, then that's cause for concern because a.) ANYONE can be the next victim b.) there are actions citizens can take to help. Where as, if there is a man about to board a plane with a bomb, who's gonna know except the security guards?

9/11 has been politicised and used for propaganda since day one, and yeah I do agree to a certain extent that there's a lot of hype going on. The right wingers who breathlessly warned of impending doom for the country were obviously blowing the events out of proportion.

Consider that there are about 310 million people in the U.S., and the 9/11 event saw the deaths of ~2,900 people, and quite a few of them were non-American businesspeople working in NYC. A significant number of deaths, yes, but that's far less than even 1% of our total population, and certainly not as catastrophic as it was portrayed in the media. The right wingers quickly declared that unless we invaded more countries and killed everyone, then the "turrurusts" would murder us all just like the "3,000 Americans" killed on 9/11.

Another thing that annoys me about the politicising of 9/11 is the jingoism regarding the victims, and the claims that the attacks were on Americans because the "turrurusts hate our freedom." 9/11 was very much an international tragedy, and there were many citizens of other countries who also died in the attacks.

@ Spaceman Spiff: Couldn't have said it better.

I agree that the whole scare and hype against terrorism is getting old in America, since there hasn't been an attack in almost a decade. But knowing Americans as I do, I can understand why they wouldn't be too quick to forget it.

The WTC attacks were a humiliation on American jingoistic psyche. For long, Americans revelled in the belief that they were invincible - they could kill, maim and destroy other nations without any repurcussions on themselves. They were #1.

However, the WTC attackers proved them wrong. With impeccable ingenuity, the Al Qaeda struck the heart of US foreign policy using America's own infrastructure. It was utter humiliation; like a mafia boss getting raped anally in prison. So Americans aren't going to let this humiliation go easily from their minds, just like they couldn't forget Cuba humiliating them in 1962.

Americans aren't actually concerned about global terrorism, as they helped create much of it. Prior to 2001, Americans were the top sponsors of Right Wing terrorism across Asia, South America, Europe and Africa. They thought it was a brilliant move to destabilise countries that stood up against US, so as to keep them in check.

Sash wrote:

@ Spaceman Spiff: Couldn't have said it better.

I agree that the whole scare and hype against terrorism is getting old in America, since there hasn't been an attack in almost a decade. But knowing Americans as I do, I can understand why they wouldn't be too quick to forget it.

The WTC attacks were a humiliation on American jingoistic psyche. For long, Americans revelled in the belief that they were invincible - they could kill, maim and destroy other nations without any repurcussions on themselves. They were #1.

However, the WTC attackers proved them wrong. With impeccable ingenuity, the Al Qaeda struck the heart of US foreign policy using America's own infrastructure. It was utter humiliation; like a mafia boss getting raped anally in prison. So Americans aren't going to let this humiliation go easily from their minds, just like they couldn't forget Cuba humiliating them in 1962.

Americans aren't actually concerned about global terrorism, as they helped create much of it. Prior to 2001, Americans were the top sponsors of Right Wing terrorism across Asia, South America, Europe and Africa. They thought it was a brilliant move to destabilise countries that stood up against US, so as to keep them in check.

I don't think humiliation is the word. I don't know anyone who ever felt "humiliated" by it. Devastated, yes. Humiliated, no.

Well, 9/11 was an inside job.

Terrorism = scary

Scary people = easy to control

It has always been like this, back in the day it was monsters and giants at the cape of good hope, stupid legends... but as people got smarter and more informed they had to think of something else besides stupid stuff like that...
      The bird flu, swine flu, what-ever-flu-they-come-up-with-this-year, all BS :)

xNerRadx wrote:

I don't think humiliation is the word. I don't know anyone who ever felt "humiliated" by it. Devastated, yes. Humiliated, no.

The immediate events that followed days after the attacks showed that there was a deep national shame at the event. This was followed "licking the wounds" behaviour every anniversary, which is a sign that while the devastation is old, the humiliation isn't.

Don't tell me Americans can't get over the death of 3000 people and loss of two buildings. Because if it were true, that makes Americans very weak and fragile beings, not at all worthy of calling themselves superpower. Even third world countries have taken much bigger losses and moved on, look at Iran and Vietnam.

I can understand why you as an American would be in denial of it though, but it wouldn't change facts.

Sash wrote:

The immediate events that followed days after the attacks showed that there was a deep national shame at the event. This was followed "licking the wounds" behaviour every anniversary, which is a sign that while the devastation is old, the humiliation isn't.

Don't tell me Americans can't get over the death of 3000 people and loss of two buildings. Because if it were true, that makes Americans very weak and fragile beings, not at all worthy of calling themselves superpower. Even third world countries have taken much bigger losses and moved on, look at Iran and Vietnam.

I can understand why you as an American would be in denial of it though, but it wouldn't change facts.

Your not an American so how would you know how we felt at all. Your making stupid assumption. You can't make that kind of claim with actually being there to experience it. No one was shamed. Shamed could describe our feelings toward slavery. But why would we be ashamed of being victimized. If anything, we felt violated.

Aannddyy wrote:

You make it sound like every American citizen stood there are watched the buildings collapse.

Well that's not what I mean. I mean he wasn't in our country to see our reactions or feel our emotions. Sorry, if you misunderstood me master:rolleyes:

But anyway, most likely what you saw on TV was propaganda. What you see on TV in YOUR country isn't what you'd see in ours. Why? Because of Nationalism. Your country obviously wouldn't share the same pride for our country as we feel for ourselves. So what your gonna see on TV is what YOUR country wants you to see. And your gonna perceive it how you would as an outsider. You wouldn't know how our country felt unless you were a part of it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by xNerRadx ().

xNerRadx wrote:

Well that's not what I mean. I mean he wasn't in our country to see our reactions or feel our emotions. Sorry, if you misunderstood me master:rolleyes:

:confused:

xNerRadx wrote:

But anyway, most likely what you saw on TV was propaganda. What you see on TV in YOUR country isn't what you'd see in ours. Why? Because of Nationalism. Your country obviously wouldn't share the same pride for our country as we feel for ourselves. So what your gonna see on TV is what YOUR country wants you to see. And your gonna perceive it how you would as an outsider. You wouldn't know how our country felt unless you were a part of it.

You do know Fox News, CNN, and other American news stations air in other countries, inculding Australia, right?

Plus you're being hypocritical. You slammed Sash for assuming how Americans felt after 9/11, but how do you know what other countries' reactions were?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy wrote:

You do know Fox News, CNN, and other American news stations air in other countries, inculding Australia, right?

Yep. Just like we have BBC.

Aannddyy wrote:

Plus you're being hypocritical. You slammed Sash for assuming how Americans felt after 9/11, but how do you know what other countries' reactions were?

That's true. I can't say how they felt. But my point is we didn't feel ashamed. And it's fair to say that other countries didn't have the same feelings or reactions we had as Americans. I'm just being logical. It may be hypocritical, but it's logical. Why would a English man have the same national pride for the U.S. as an American man? Well, unless they are native to this country.

xNerRadx wrote:

Yep. Just like we have BBC.

Good. So whatever is in the American media is in ours, too.

xNerRadx wrote:

That's true. I can't say how they felt. But my point is we didn't feel ashamed. And it's fair to say that other countries didn't have the same feelings or reactions we had as Americans. I'm just being logical. It may be hypocritical, but it's logical. Why would a English man have the same national pride for the U.S. as an American man? Well, unless they are native to this country.

Why not? Not everyone is a patriot who only cares for their own country.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy wrote:

Good. So whatever is in the American media is in ours, too.

But most likely people are getting information from more than one source. I'm sure that not everyone overseas watches CNN. The average non U.S. person doesn't care what goes on in the U.S. in the first place. Why? Because they have no reason too. It's not their nation so why should they care?

Aannddyy wrote:

Why not? Not everyone is a patriot who only cares for their own country.

Come on now. It's not logical to believe that an Australian man cares the pentagon got blown up more than an American man. That Australian man has nothing to worry about. He's safe way out of harms way. But that American man is going to be devastated and scared that his country is under attack.

xNerRadx wrote:

But most likely people are getting information from more than one source. I'm sure that not everyone overseas watches CNN. The average non U.S. person doesn't care what goes on in the U.S. in the first place. Why? Because they have no reason too. It's not their nation so why should they care?

Come on now. It's not logical to believe that an Australian man cares the pentagon got blown up more than an American man. That Australian man has nothing to worry about. He's safe way out of harms way. But that American man is going to be devastated and scared that his country is under attack.

As I said before, not everyone is a patriot or nationalist.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy wrote:

As I said before, not everyone is a patriot or nationalist.

Oh trust me I'll admit that. For some reason I have mad love for England. But I don't watch BBC. EVER. What for? And when my country is going through a crisis I'm not going to act like I'm not living there. I'm going to freak the hell out like everybody else. A crisis will bring a country together. And when that happens, my love for any other country is out of the window. I'm going to love and support my country in their time of need completely.

Now I will say this, when princess Diana died the whole world was in upheaval. But I believe it's because Princess Diana connected with every country. She was very involved in the world. In that case, it's not just people of one nation who share the same reactions and emotions; but it's people of the world that share the same reactions and emotions.

xNerRadx wrote:

Oh trust me I'll admit that. For some reason I have mad love for England. But I don't watch BBC. EVER. What for? And when my country is going through a crisis I'm not going to act like I'm not living there. I'm going to freak the hell out like everybody else. A crisis will bring a country together. And when that happens, my love for any other country is out of the window. I'm going to love and support my country in their time of need completely.

That's good for you.

xNerRadx wrote:

Now I will say this, when princess Diana died the whole world was in upheaval. But I believe it's because Princess Diana connected with every country. She was very involved in the world. In that case, it's not just people of one nation who share the same reactions and emotions; but it's people of the world that share the same reactions and emotions.

Foreigners can share the same reaction to 9/11 as an American. I don't want to keep repeating myself, but nationalism doesn't effect everyone. My god...
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]