Favourite Part?

• Favourite Part?

What's your favourite part about being gay/bi/lesbian? What's your favourite part about being out?

For me it's a sense of individuality. I stand out from the rest of the crowd and I don't even have to do anything. Also I get a sense of pride knowing that I'm different from most other people.

Oh and my favourite part about being out (to my friends at least) is that I can talk about boys:p Srsly before coming out it sucked not being able to comment on a cute boy in the mall:wink:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [SIZE=3]
      [/SIZE]
    • Re: Favourite Part?

herpderp wrote:

I don't have a favorite part about being gay because it's not something to be proud or ashamed of. Sexuality is sexuality; anyone who finds it something to be proud is immature.

Why is it immature to be proud of who you are? I know that sexuality shouldn't make up who you are, but at the same time I think it's something to be proud of, because it helps to view yourself in a positive light. Nothing wrong with a bit of self confidence, is there?

In answer to the question, it's good to belong to a community.
      Jayden.

"I put a capital N on nature and call it my church." ~Frank Lloyd Wright.

SubtleInFiction wrote:

Why is it immature to be proud of who you are? I know that sexuality shouldn't make up who you are, but at the same time I think it's something to be proud of, because it helps to view yourself in a positive light. Nothing wrong with a bit of self confidence, is there?

In answer to the question, it's good to belong to a community.

Being proud is not the same as being self confident. You can be *confident* in your sexuality and feel comfortable with it, but there is nothing to feel proud of.

And being gay doesn't automatically include you in some sort of magical community. That means straight people are part of the "straight" community.

Not to mention that there is no "gay" community. Thinking you are in a community based on your sexuality is incredibly naive. Protip: Nobody cares about your sexuality.

herpderp wrote:

Being proud is not the same as being self confident. You can be *confident* in your sexuality and feel comfortable with it, but there is nothing to feel proud of.

And being gay doesn't automatically include you in some sort of magical community. That means straight people are part of the "straight" community.

Not to mention that there is no "gay" community. Thinking you are in a community based on your sexuality is incredibly naive. Protip: Nobody cares about your sexuality.

I guess I meant more a support group, and be able to relate to people. Not a community. And for me it's not really my sexuality, it's my gender orientation.

I think it's okay to be proud of being gay, but then, people should be proud of themselves whoever they are.
      Jayden.

herpderp wrote:

+1 for distinguishing between pride and healthy self respect.

-1 for unhelpful tip.

SubtleInFiction wrote:

I guess I meant more a support group, and be able to relate to people. Not a community. And for me it's not really my sexuality, it's my gender orientation.

I think it's okay to be proud of being gay, but then, people should be proud of themselves whoever they are.

Yeah a support group would be a much better way of thinking about it than a "gay community" which almost implies that you would have to be gay to be a part of it.

For my clarification, can you describe the difference between what you call your "sexuality" and what you call your "gender orientation"?

Becareful about which words you choose to use such as pride, pride is a sin because it implies feeling greater than others, and we are all equal.
      Sometimes you may mean one thing, but the words you use could mean something else.

keywee wrote:

Yeah a support group would be a much better way of thinking about it than a "gay community" which almost implies that you would have to be gay to be a part of it.

For my clarification, can you describe the difference between what you call your "sexuality" and what you call your "gender orientation"?

Becareful about which words you choose to use such as pride, pride is a sin because it implies feeling greater than others, and we are all equal.
      Sometimes you may mean one thing, but the words you use could mean something else.

I don't mean pride as in, feeling better than someone else. I guess I meant more confidence than pride. I always go to the gay pride events though.

And gender orientation - what gender you identify as. Be it male, female, something in between, or none. Sexual orientation - who you are attracted to.
      Jayden.

The fact that I can leave the toilet seat up and let out a fart and/or burp without consequence (not that I do that. Just saying....). :D

But seriously. I don't have a favourite part. I really just see it for what it is, an attraction to persons of the same-sex. Nothing more. I'm neither proud nor ashamed of it.
      I guess I'm grateful because it has given me a new outlook on life and people, but other than that, nothing much.
      I'm out to only like 3 people (with the exception to you guys on TeenHut :)), so I can't really comment on that part (and I have to be careful because people in my school are homophobic). But I would guess it would actually be wonderful.