ADD medication makes me not want to eat or sleep

• ADD medication makes me not want to eat or sleep

So i havent taken my medication all summer (and gained about 10 pounds during that time actually...). I started taking it again this last monday, and since monday I have eaten maybe the equivelant of 1 meal a day.

I can feel my stomach growl but I don't have the hungry feeling. when i think about food it really doesnt seem appealing. Once i force myself to eat, after maybe 5 or 6 bites of food i am gagging and trying to force the food down. eventually I just stop eating.

at night when its time to go to bed, ill stay up until maybe 3 or even 4 am just staring into space. it doesnt matter how tired i am, i just cant sleep. eventually i do fall asleep, but once something wakes me up (someone walking outside, a dog barking) im up for good.

I took the meds before summer, and even about 3 weeks into summer, and at that time i never had a problem like this. I mean, my appetite was a little smaller, but i still ate roughly the same amount. I never had sleeping issues before now.

I feel like this medication is killing me. im not getting the nutrition i need or the sleep. i need help but idk what to do. i cant change medication because i start school next week. if im off the medication im like a 6 year old. would depression affect the way the medication works? since the end of last summer my depression has kind of gotten worse, but i didn't think it would do this. can someone help me? please?
      [CENTER][SIZE="2"]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. Seuss[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    • Re: ADD medication makes me not want to eat or sleep

Depression and ADD medications...they don't work the same way. There's a correlation between depression and serotonin levels, and a correlation between ADD and it's medications and dopamine levels. I don't think the two are related, but that's just my personal opinion. ADD medications like Adderall and Ritalin will do that to you, I know from personal experience. It happened to me at first, but once I built a tolerance to them I could eat again. It got to a point where I could eat without feeling sick, but if I didn't eat it wouldn't bother me, if that makes sense.

One thing to do is to talk to your doctor. About a couple things, actually. Ask him/her what you should do to stay nourished. They'll probably recommend a multi-vitamin or something of the like. Also, find out if the dose is too high for you, which could be contributing to the problem. Third, ask if therapy would be effective in treating it. I honestly don't know for sure, but there are some disorders that can be treated with therapy that you wouldn't think could be. Also try to be re-evaluated, to see if you actually have ADD or if you could benefit more from just an SSRI.

Good luck :)
      [CENTER]
      [CENTER]The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature; reason, honesty and love.
      The only demons we need fear are those that lurk inside every human mind; ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]