I'm worried I have anorexia

• I'm worried I have anorexia

Okay, before people go off on me saying, "YOU SHOULDN'T STARVE YOURSELF!!!" let me clarify that there are TWO kinds of anorexia.

anorexia - not eating due to a lack of appetite
      anorexia nervosa - not eating by choice, trying to lose weight because of a self-esteem issue, feels they are too fat

I'm talking about the first one. Not the second.

I've eaten hardly anything in days.
      Two Days Ago: A small bowl of Pretzel Goldfish, some Sour Gummy Worms.
      Yesterday: 1 Fruit by the Foot, some Sour Gummy Worms.
      Today: Nothing.

I don't remember anything before that. I know it's not a good diet, but I can't push myself to eat anything else. I feel too nauseated to eat.

Last night I was getting really concerned... When walking from my bedroom to the dining room (20 steps, if that?) and back, I kept bumping into walls because I was so light-headed and dizzy. I felt incredibly weak, I wasn't sure if I'd make it back to my computer chair. When I finally went to bed, walking those 20 steps from my chair to my bed was physically exhausting. I fell down on my bed and was panting.

I've had a constant headache for the past few days (though that might have a different cause, I have a family history of migraines). My hands are trembling, and I'm always tired. It's 1:30 in the afternoon here, and I feel like I could go take a nap. When I woke up this morning, I felt energized, but I lost that energy FAST. I feel like I could throw up at any moment. Yesterday when I woke up (about 10 am) I weighed myself and I was 111 pounds. Today when I woke up (about the same time) I weighed 109. I'm 5'1", so these are technically both healthy weights for me, but I've lost almost 40 pounds in a year and a half anyway (and I haven't changed anything).

Typing is starting to feel like a chore. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I have anorexia, and I don't know what to do to change my appetite. Food just doesn't sound good... I just don't want any... I told my mom I thought I had anorexia, but she didn't really respond, so I don't know what she plans on doing...

Does it sound like I have anorexia? What should I do? I'm so confused :(
      [COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]To make my dreams come true. To protect the ones I love. And to keep fighting.
      The star inside my heart... please keep on shining strong and bring me power![/FONT][/COLOR]

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The only thing worse than a smart-ass is a dumb smart-ass.
    • Re: I'm worried I have anorexia

there can be many causes for lack of appetite.. it's not necessarily anorexia.. maybe the best thing to do would be to talk to your doctor..
      until then you should try to eat small amounts of food you usually liked.. even if you don't really feel like eating.. food deprivation can have serious consequences for your health..

take care of yourself :)
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

The problem is, even my favorite foods sound horrible. I have a serious sweet tooth (I can never turn down candy) but I can't even force my sour gummy worms down anymore...
      [COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]To make my dreams come true. To protect the ones I love. And to keep fighting.
      The star inside my heart... please keep on shining strong and bring me power![/FONT][/COLOR]

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

Not that I can think of.. =/

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

I just don't think it is just me... I used to eat all the time... Now I'm not eating anything :(

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

For one thing anorexics don't always stop eating by choice, most of the time it's out of fear and they are forced to stop eating because of the fear of gaining weight. It's an illness not a choice.

Loads of people experience lack of appetite and I don't think that should immediately be classed as anorexia because like I've said already it's a mental illness.
      People's appetites can go up and down all of the time.. if everything is fine within your mind and your life then maybe you should try different foods you don't usually eat? If I eat something all of the time I get sick of it and lose my appetite for it so have to swap my diet around. The weather can also affect it if it is hot with some people.
      Just try and figure out what has triggered this and maybe swap certain foods within your diet.
      Hope this helps :)
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]<3[/SIZE][/CENTER]

First of all, there are not two types of anorexia. There is only anorexia nervosa. What you're describing would be clinically diagnosed as "Eating Disorder NOS, or not otherwise specified". I don't want you running around with false information.

My advice to you is, if you feel there is a problem, to talk to your doctor about it. We can't do much via the internet, but your doctor can connect you with the proper treatment.
      [CENTER]
      [CENTER]The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature; reason, honesty and love.
      The only demons we need fear are those that lurk inside every human mind; ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Going to the doctor isn't a viable option unless I'm sure there's an issue. We can't afford to go.

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

JoBro wrote:

Going to the doctor isn't a viable option unless I'm sure there's an issue. We can't afford to go.
      Just because I said anorexia and anorexia nervosa are the same disorder doesn't mean you can't talk to your doctor. There is obviously something disordered going on if you can't eat and you're experiencing all those unpleasant symptoms. Being malnourished is something you really need to seek medical attention for, whether you have AN or not. Did this come out of nowhere? As in, did you wake up one day and not feel hungry? Or has it slowly progressed to the point where you felt like sharing this with us?
      [CENTER]
      [CENTER]The only angels we need invoke are those of our better nature; reason, honesty and love.
      The only demons we need fear are those that lurk inside every human mind; ignorance, hatred, greed, and faith.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Poo-tee-weet? wrote:

Just because I said anorexia and anorexia nervosa are the same disorder doesn't mean you can't talk to your doctor. There is obviously something disordered going on if you can't eat and you're experiencing all those unpleasant symptoms. Being malnourished is something you really need to seek medical attention for, whether you have AN or not. Did this come out of nowhere? As in, did you wake up one day and not feel hungry? Or has it slowly progressed to the point where you felt like sharing this with us?

That has nothing to do with me not being able to talk to the doctor. My mom won't take me unless I can prove there's something wrong.

About a week ago my appetite started dropping, and last night I reached the point where I felt something was wrong. But my mom, being reluctant to spend any money, will ignore the situation until I collapse a foot in front of her.

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The post was edited 2 times, last by JoBro ().

Poo-tee-weet? wrote:

First of all, there are not two types of anorexia. There is only anorexia nervosa. What you're describing would be clinically diagnosed as "Eating Disorder NOS, or not otherwise specified". I don't want you running around with false information.

My advice to you is, if you feel there is a problem, to talk to your doctor about it. We can't do much via the internet, but your doctor can connect you with the proper treatment.

this this this this this

JoBro wrote:

That has nothing to do with me not being able to talk to the doctor. My mom won't take me unless I can prove there's something wrong.

About a week ago my appetite started dropping, and last night I reached the point where I felt something was wrong.
      If your mom won't take you when you're experiencing these symptoms then...jeez. The thing is, we can't diagnose you on here. We cannot spell out a differential diagnosis. We can't draw up a treatment plan. All those things have to be between you and your doctor. When you just randomly start losing your appetite, needless to say that's not good. The doctor will be able to rule out that it's not something more serious going on, that it's something treatable and not deadly.

The bottom line is, we can't tell you what you have. Not only would it be unethical, it would be inaccurate, because we're not M.D.s, Psy.Ds, or Ph.Ds. We're not even R.N.s. But if it concerns you enough that you think you need help from us, then I believe it'd be important for you doctor to know about it as well. We can't prove there's something wrong, that's the whole paradox, I'm sorry to say. :\
      [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

I know...

Guess I just have to wait until I pass out then.

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The post was edited 1 time, last by JoBro ().

Well if you feel something is wrong, that's every reason to go to the doctor. You shouldn't have to prove anything to your parents. If you feel you have an issue that needs help from a doctor, they should be more concerned with getting you the help you need rather than how much money will be in their pocket at the end of the day. You have basic needs, and you need them to be met. Your nourishment is one of those basic needs, and if it's not being met because you have an eating disorder that your parents don't believe you about, your basic needs are pretty much being neglected and the situation will only go down from them. If you're not eating, you're body is going to start feeding off of what you already have, and it goes after your heart first. So, rather than wait for it to eat away at your heart, maybe you should go see the doctor now.

I can't though - I have no money to pay for the visit, I have no way to get there... And I doubt my parents have the money right now either. I dunno.

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

Well they can't refuse to see you based on lack of money. You could always call about setting up some sort of payment plan when you go to see the doctor. That's what I had to do. If you know something is wrong, you need to be treated for it. Think of it this way. You could pay the money to go see your doctor, which is like 70 or so, depending on where you live. OR you could wait and continue on the path you're going down, keep with the not eating issues, and let your body attack itself for nourishment and end up in the emergency room, which will cost you a whole lot more.

JoBro wrote:

I can't though - I have no money to pay for the visit, I have no way to get there... And I doubt my parents have the money right now either. I dunno.
      Typically, if they have health insurance, the visit would be covered and they would just have to pay a co-pay of around 15 bucks. I'm sure for the sake of their daughter they could pay the fifteen dollars. I'm sorry if I sound harsh, I'm not trying to. If they find you do have an eating disorder, even therapy would be covered by insurance. Ask them if they have it, and if so, I'm sure it wouldn't cost them all that much.
      [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

We have insurance, but our co-pay is $50...

Dr.Carter;2785725 wrote:

The post was edited 1 time, last by JoBro ().