What martial arts do you do?

• Re: What martial arts do you do?

Darthnut wrote:

Thanks :) I would love to hear why you think Taekwon Do sucks though.

The Mcdojo percentage is too high. You probably train in one and don't even know it.
      7 year olds can get black belts easily.
      Look at the way you fight.
      Hands down.
      Chin up.
      No good guard.
      No hands. ( I mean no good punches.)
      No grappling at all.
      No ground fighting.
      You kick only to the mid section and the head. No kicks to the legs.
      More emphasis on flash than on practicality.

I could go on... It does have its good things tho. It's going to make you fast, flexible, and athletic. However, it's not really going to win you a fight unless the guy you fight with isn't very good.
      Hello JC - Cade

1--- The minimum age where I train is 6 JUST TO BEGIN TRAINING
      2--- when sparring, my face is always guarded
      3--- I can break several boards with a good punch
      4--- they do teach grappling, its just not in competitive sparring
      5---we do learn ground fighting, also just not in competitive sparring
      6---low kicks and sweeps are also learned. just not in competitions
      7---the PROPER Taekwon Do (developed by General Choi) is VERY practical. We do defense against weapons, stretches, pressure points, and all sorts of practical self defense techniques.

While I agree that there are more mid-air techniques in TKD than in other martial arts, it doesnt mean thats all we learn. There are different types of Taekwon Do.

The International Taekwon Do Federation (ITF) was developed in the Korean military as a practical, powerful martial art by General Choi Hong Hi. Im in the United States Taekwon Do Federation (USTF) which is part of the ITF.

The World Taekwon Do Federation (WTF... lol) is not the true art. that's what you see in the olympics and the "main" TKD schools. The WTF is what you described.
      "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16

Darthnut wrote:

1--- The minimum age where I train is 6 JUST TO BEGIN TRAINING
      2--- when sparring, my face is always guarded
      3--- I can break several boards with a good punch
      4--- they do teach grappling, its just not in competitive sparring
      5---we do learn ground fighting, also just not in competitive sparring
      6---low kicks and sweeps are also learned. just not in competitions
      7---the PROPER Taekwon Do (developed by General Choi) is VERY practical. We do defense against weapons, stretches, pressure points, and all sorts of practical self defense techniques.

While I agree that there are more mid-air techniques in TKD than in other martial arts, it doesnt mean thats all we learn. There are different types of Taekwon Do.

The International Taekwon Do Federation (ITF) was developed in the Korean military as a practical, powerful martial art by General Choi Hong Hi. Im in the United States Taekwon Do Federation (USTF) which is part of the ITF.

The World Taekwon Do Federation (WTF... lol) is not the true art. that's what you see in the olympics and the "main" TKD schools. The WTF is what you described.

I've heard about ITF.
      It's the best TKD.
      However, have you ever sparred an MMA guy? or a MT guy?
      I'm curious.
      Hello JC - Cade

Number Juan wrote:

I've heard about ITF.
      It's the best TKD.
      However, have you ever sparred an MMA guy? or a MT guy?
      I'm curious.

I haven't... but I would love to try it some time. But the thing with ITF Taekwon Do... the sparring is light contact. It basically has to be. Almost all the offensive techniques are able to kill.
      "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -John 3:16

Darthnut wrote:

I haven't... but I would love to try it some time. But the thing with ITF Taekwon Do... the sparring is light contact. It basically has to be. Almost all the offensive techniques are able to kill.

Dude. In Bujinkan Tai jutsu , there is no sparring because all techniques are able to kill. My sensei that teaches me Karate and Muay Thai told me he was 100% sure I would choke out Bujinkan Taijutsu teacher.

That's another bad aspect of the martial art... They tell you you are D3ad1y.
      What techniques are able to kill? Pressure points?

BJJ guys are able to kill since the moment they learn to slap on a choke and they still go 100%. Guess what? They dominate other people. And they don't kill anybody during training...
      Hello JC - Cade

Number Juan wrote:

Dude. In Bujinkan Tai jutsu , there is no sparring because all techniques are able to kill. My sensei that teaches me Karate and Muay Thai told me he was 100% sure I would choke out Bujinkan Taijutsu teacher.

That's another bad aspect of the martial art... They tell you you are D3ad1y.
      What techniques are able to kill? Pressure points?

BJJ guys are able to kill since the moment they learn to slap on a choke and they still go 100%. Guess what? They dominate other people. And they don't kill anybody during training...

throat punch,
      why does everyone think MMA is a martial art :confused:
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Number Juan wrote:

What techniques are able to kill?

Almost all of them. Even many of the blocks (when done properly) can break bones and separate joints. one of the first kicks you learn can break through 10 inches of freshly cut pine boards

Wait. Wait Wait.

If that is true, then Muay Thai guys should be killing people left and right with every single kick they throw, even if it is blocked. Muay thai guys kick like twice as hard as TKD guys...

Boxers should be killing with a well thrown cross.
      Judo guys should be killing everytime they manage to throw someone...
      Hello JC - Cade

I would post links of the awesome breaking skills... but i need more posts. lol anyways, muay thai is one of the deadliest martial arts. i agree to that. but the kicks they use are different than TKD kicks. and boxing is a sport, the punches arent full force. also, judo means "the gentle way" it is also a sport

Darthnut wrote:

I would post links of the awesome breaking skills... but i need more posts. lol anyways, muay thai is one of the deadliest martial arts. i agree to that. but the kicks they use are different than TKD kicks. and boxing is a sport, the punches arent full force. also, judo means "the gentle way" it is also a sport

I've boxed before. Punches are anything but pulled in a boxing match.
      The glove actually allows you to punch harder, just because you are not scared of your hand breaking. It doesn't matter if it is a sport. They are thought to punch better than ANY style. Boxers have the best punches out of every single style because that is all they focus on.

Judo means " Gentle way " because it does not use strikes. However, getting thrown judo guy is ANYTHING but gentle. Some guy once said to me " Judo is only gentle for the guy on top." He's right.

Muay Thai kicks are harder. WAY harder. Their roundhouse kick uses the shin and their body mechanics make a more powerful kick than a TKD one. Trust me, I've done both. Karate style kicks are also harder. They use the shin too. I am referring only to the roundhouse kicks , which is the most used.
      Hello JC - Cade

I use to take TKD with ATA for about 8-9 months..I ended up dropping the last 3 months or so on my contract because I didn't get along with my instructors (they held everything possible against me, such as if I had to leave on-time [since they always went over] and the one would always do something to hurt both of us and then blame it on me.) And I wasn't really learning all that much..It was pretty much just conditioning and memorizing the forms. Which isn't what I wanted to learn.
      I want to do boxing, Muay Thai, and MMA. It'll probably be difficult for me to actually do the kicks with MT though, because both my shins are chipped. :\

femme wrote:

I use to take TKD with ATA for about 8-9 months..I ended up dropping the last 3 months or so on my contract because I didn't get along with my instructors (they held everything possible against me, such as if I had to leave on-time [since they always went over] and the one would always do something to hurt both of us and then blame it on me.) And I wasn't really learning all that much..It was pretty much just conditioning and memorizing the forms. Which isn't what I wanted to learn.
      I want to do boxing, Muay Thai, and MMA. It'll probably be difficult for me to actually do the kicks with MT though, because both my shins are chipped. :

Your shins are chipped? From what part? Maybe muay thai will make your shins tougher. Consult with your MT instructor, or a physician xD

Also, you should try Brazillian Jiujutsu xD You don't need to use your shins much for that one.
      Hello JC - Cade