Thoughts on abortion.

• Thoughts on abortion.

Currently having a conversation with a girl about abortion, these are my thoughts:

I think that it's okay in the right situation, like if you got raped. You wouldn't want your rapists kid. You might as well call it Lil' Rape Boy, because that's what it's going to remind you of. Or, I suppose if you're really young and there's nobody to help you care for the baby.

Like, now I'm 17, if I got pregnant, I would abort because everyone around me would judge me for it, I'm not ready for a kid, not mature or able to care for it. If someone is 30, or something, and they get pregnant then I'd say keep it. Because they aren't on birth control and they've had their cervix scraped more then the bottom of a peanut butter jar. And that's stupid, and they're stupid, take responsibility or get on birth control.
      And do it now, not "halfway through your second trimester" because you were "busy".

^^^ Sorry if some it isn't worded right, I copied bits and pieces of it from the conversation.

What're yours?

The post was edited 1 time, last by sarah ().

• Re: Thoughts on abortion.

I kinda agree with you.
      I think it would be okay in the right situation, like rape, but I think our definition of "right situation" is different.

Basically, if you willingly engage in having sex, and you get pregnant, I think you should have to go through pregnancy regardless of the situation. It's a risk you take, and if you get pregnant, that baby should at least have a chance to live. At least give it up for adoption if you can't take care of it. If you get knocked up, you gotta deal with the consequences.
      [LEFT][SIZE=2][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]ニンジャウォーリアーズ[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]-( The Ninja Warrior )-[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]My Internet Radio Guide[/SIZE][/LEFT]

I think it's fine. Personally, I don't care and I don't see why I should care or why anyone should care whether I care or not or whether I think it's right or wrong. If you think it's wrong, don't ever get an abortion. If you think it's right, do it if you choose. I'm not gonna play the role and act like I care. Sit here and argue about it over a computer, while babies are being aborted regardless and I'm not actively doing anything to change it or keep it the same.

Dotty wrote:

I think it's fine. Personally, I don't care and I don't see why I should care or why anyone should care whether I care or not or whether I think it's right or wrong. If you think it's wrong, don't ever get an abortion. If you think it's right, do it if you choose. I'm not gonna play the role and act like I care. Sit here and argue about it over a computer, while babies are being aborted regardless and I'm not actively doing anything to change it or keep it the same.

>Implying I wanted to argue about it, I don't really, I just wanted to know everyone's opinions.

Aannddyy wrote:

It's a fetus or embryo when it's aborted, not a baby.

Yeah, technically.
      If you kill a baby is it murder?
      I mean, it's not a person "yet".
      My point is that a "fetus" or "embryo" is very much a "baby in training" like
      a baby is a "person in training".

Murder: The crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought (Merriam Webster)

Although I personally don't like the idea of abortion, it's up to the woman.

Though I would support giving benefits to pregnant mothers that would encourage them to keep the baby, such as tax breaks and additional welfare that would help them in raising the baby.

Sar-uh? wrote:

Like, now I'm 17, if I got pregnant, I would abort because everyone around me would judge me for it
      So you'd abort your baby (fetus,
      embryo, whatever you want to call it) because you're afraid of getting judged? In all honesty, I find that to be a really narcissistic reason to have an abortion.

Sar-uh? wrote:

If someone is 30, or something, and they get pregnant then I'd say keep it. Because they aren't on birth control and they've had their cervix scraped more then the bottom of a peanut butter jar. And that's stupid, and they're stupid, take responsibility or get on birth control.
      It doesn't happen often, but I have seen 17-year old's who are more responsible and mature than people in their latter 20's and 30's.

And what if that 30-year old was on birth control, and they were using condoms and other forms of protection?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The post was edited 1 time, last by LuklaAdvocate ().

NinjaGuy1337 wrote:

Yeah, technically.
      If you kill a baby is it murder?
      I mean, it's not a person "yet".
      My point is that a "fetus" or "embryo" is very much a "baby in training" like
      a baby is a "person in training".

Murder: The crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought (Merriam Webster)

Fact of the matter is it isn't a person, or a baby.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy wrote:

Fact of the matter is it isn't a person, or a baby.

Yet a person is still sentenced in a HARSHER manner for killing a baby than a person.
      Therefore, I don't believe killing the fetus/embryo is acceptable either.
      The only reason I say it's "acceptable" for a rape victim is because having the baby would probably ruin the mother's life worse than the shock and emotional agony of being raped.

Anyways, it's my opinion. This isn't a debate, it's an open discussion.

NinjaGuy1337 wrote:

The point he made is that it's not actually a person.
      (Edit: Sorry, late reply.)

If I ever got pregnant I'd never have an abortion, but I'm also out of high school and would be ready to deal with it. I don't want it to happen, but if it did I'd keep it.

As much as making everyone "deal with the consequences" would be an ideal, in some situations it may just be better for the baby for the mom to have an abortion. Motherhood doesn't start when you have a baby, it starts when you become pregnant. Pregnancy itself is a huge responsibility and if a girl isn't ready for that and isn't going to be able to go through it in a healthy and responsible way, she shouldn't go through it at all. It's one thing to say "be responsible", but another for people to actually do it.

It shouldn't be a form of birth control but it shouldn't not be an option.

NinjaGuy1337 wrote:

Yet a person is still sentenced in a HARSHER manner for killing a baby than a person.
      Therefore, I don't believe killing the fetus/embryo is acceptable either.
      The only reason I say it's "acceptable" for a rape victim is because having the baby would probably ruin the mother's life worse than the shock and emotional agony of being raped.

Anyways, it's my opinion. This isn't a debate, it's an open discussion.

Yes, an open discussion where we can all challenge each other's opinions.

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

A good share share of the general population would disagree with that alleged "fact" of yours.

I was referring to NinjaGuy's "baby in training" phrase. It's still a fetus, in training or not.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scaredycrow wrote:

As much as making everyone "deal with the consequences" would be an ideal, in some situations it may just be better for the baby for the mom to have an abortion. Motherhood doesn't start when you have a baby, it starts when you become pregnant. Pregnancy itself is a huge responsibility and if a girl isn't ready for that and isn't going to be able to go through it in a healthy and responsible way, she shouldn't go through it at all. It's one thing to say "be responsible", but another for people to actually do it.
      It shouldn't be a form of birth control but it shouldn't not be an option.

I agree. If the mother isn't going to take care of herself or the baby (by using drugs/alcohol/ect. before/after the baby is born) she should probably abort. It'd be horrible to be born with an addiction to a harmful substance or to be raised by a mother who doesn't care for or want you. (Personal experience with the 2nd one.) The only issue is that denying a life is a choice that I think shouldn't be left up to human judgement. Despite personal hardships, I managed to become a decent person. Although the baby's life may be unfair, that's life. The baby's success later in life is somewhat in it's own hands. Abortion would only be acceptable in EXTREME circumstances preventing ANY chance of having a life.

Aannddyy wrote:

Doesn't a fetus reach personhood once it's fully developed? I.E. a baby?
      What do you define as "fully developed?" One could argue that we're not fully developed until our mid 20's, seeing as the brain isn't fully developed until around age 25.

A baby is merely a stage of development, just as a zygote, fetus, baby, teenager, adult, etc.

If you're human, you're a person. I wasn't taking issue with your statement that the fetus isn't a baby, because it's not. I took issue with your statement that the fetus isn't a person, which would consequently mean the fetus isn't yet human.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

What do you define as "fully developed?" One could argue that we're not fully developed until our mid 20's, seeing as the brain isn't fully developed until around age 25.

A baby is merely a stage of development, just as a zygote, fetus, baby, teenager, adult, etc.

If you're human, you're a person. I wasn't taking issue with your statement that the fetus isn't a baby, because it's not. I took issue with your statement that the fetus isn't a person, which would consequently mean the fetus isn't yet human.

I agree.
      The fetus doesn't magically transform into a human once it is out of the mother's womb and gets a name.
      Abortion is basically to murder someone legally.

I agree with abortion. Things can go wrong even if people are on birth control. I have known people who have gotten prgenant even though they were on the birth control pill.
      Even if people are in their 30s doesn't mean they don't have the right to abort a baby. Say if a 32 year old woman got pregnant and she didn't have the money to raise a child and was alone I think she would have the right to abort a baby.
      At the end of the day, it's a woman's own body and she can decide what she wants to do it and what she wants to do with her life. Obviously it is better to do it sooner but I think it's absolutely disgusting that people make women feel bad about abortion when they have no idea what so ever what their circumstances are.
      Just because a woman would be a certain age shouldn't define whether she is allowed to have an abortion or not.
      I think now people stick their opinions into other people's matters when it is not needed.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE="4"]<3[/SIZE][/CENTER]