Internet Radio Guide

• Internet Radio Guide

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT ADVERTISING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SITES FOR MONETARY PURPOSES. I AM NOT IN ANY WAY ASSOCIATED WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WEBSITES MENTIONED. I AM STRICTLY EXPRESSING MY OWN OPINION AND DIRECTING USERS OF INTERNET RADIO SERVICES.

Contents:
      I. Introduction
      II. What Is An Internet Radio Service
      III. Why Should You Listen To Internet Radio
      IV: Why Would You Pay
      V: Most Popular Services
      VI: Pandora.com
      VII: Recommended Service (Better Than Pandora)

VIII: Closing

I: Introduction:

Almost everyone has listened to an internet radio service (also known as web radio, net radio, streaming radio and e-radio). This guide should adequately inform you about these musical services, and hopefully help you in deciding which service is right for you.

II: What Is An Internet Radio Service:

Internet radio is a service that actively streams music to you for your "personal musical entertainment experience". These services often only allow a certain number of "song skips" and interrupt your music with advertisements. Nevertheless, it is becoming one of the most popular forms of musical entertainment.

'[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Radio wrote:

Internet radio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]"]Internet radio is an audio service transmitted via the Internet. Music streaming on the Internet is usually referred to as webcasting since it is not transmitted broadly through wireless means.

Internet radio involves streaming media, presenting listeners with a continuous stream of audio that cannot be paused or replayed, much like traditional broadcast media; in this respect, it is distinct from on-demand file serving. Internet radio is also distinct from podcasting, which involves downloading rather than streaming. Many Internet radio services are associated with a corresponding traditional (terrestrial) radio station or radio network. Internet-only radio stations are independent of such associations.

Internet radio services are usually accessible from anywhere in the world—for example, one could listen to an Australian station from Europe or America. Some major networks like Clear Channel and CBS Radio in the US, and Chrysalis in the UK restrict listening to in country because of music licensing and advertising concerns. Internet radio remains popular among expatriates and listeners with interests that are often not adequately served by local radio stations (such as eurodance, progressive rock, ambient music, folk music, classical music, and stand-up comedy). Internet radio services offer news, sports, talk, and various genres of music—every format that is available on traditional radio stations.

Streaming technology is used to distribute Internet radio, typically using a lossy audio codec. Streaming audio formats include "MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Windows Media Audio, RealAudio, and HE-AAC (or aacPlus)". Audio data is continuously transmitted serially ("streamed") over the local network or internet in TCP or UDP packets, then reassembled at the receiver and played a second or two later. The delay is called lag, and is introduced at several stages of digital audio broadcasting.

III: Why Should You Listen To Internet Radio:

The ability to stream music is very convenient. It eliminates download times, and you don't have to buy your music (or obtain it another manner) to listen to it.

IV: Why Would You Pay:

Internet radio services often have a "Premium" feature to eliminate the limit on "song skipping" and to "eliminate ads".

V: Most Popular Services:

Pandora.com
      Live365.com
      Jango.com
      Slacker.com
      Shoutcast.com
      Music.AOL.com
      Sirius.com

VI: Pandora.com:

Pandora is a great service that offers a very simple layout. It is EXTREMELY user-friendly and doesn't take more than 5 minutes to learn to use. The Music Genome Project is very good at matching your songs to other songs that share the same qualities. Pandora is currently the most popular internet radio service around.
      (However, it is NOT the best in my opinion)

'[url=http://www.digitizd.com/2008/09/08/8-reasons-groovesharks-better-than-pandora/ wrote:

8 Reasons Grooveshark's Better than Pandora | Digitizd[/url]"]Pandora is one of the best and most-used Internet radios out there, and does its thing really well. For me, it’s a really useful study tool- type in Hans Zimmer, rock out to some movie soundtracks. Somehow, listening to the Last of the Mohicans while I read makes everything more intense. But I digress.

Internet radio like Pandora works exactly as does in-car radio, except that you decide where you start. You pick a song, or an album, that you like, and Pandora tries to figure out what other songs you might like. It creates a playlist of music similar to the one you chose, and plays them all for you. You choose whether you like them or not, create more stations, and help Pandora figure out how to make your music better.

'[url=http://www.pandora.com/corporate/ wrote:

Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music[/url]"]When was the last time you fell in love with a new artist or song?

At Pandora, we have a single mission: To play only music you'll love.

To understand just how we do this, and why we think we do it really, really well, you need to know about the Music Genome Project®.

Since we started back in 2000, we have been hard at work on the Music Genome Project. It's the most comprehensive analysis of music ever undertaken. Together our team of fifty musician-analysts has been listening to music, one song at a time, studying and collecting literally hundreds of musical details on every song. It takes 20-30 minutes per song to capture all of the little details that give each recording its magical sound - melody, harmony, instrumentation, rhythm, vocals, lyrics ... and more - close to 400 attributes! We continue this work every day to keep up with the incredible flow of great new music coming from studios, stadiums and garages around the country.

With Pandora you can explore this vast trove of music to your heart's content. Just drop the name of one of your favorite songs or artists into Pandora and let the Genome Project go. It will quickly scan its entire world of analyzed music, almost a century of popular recordings - new and old, well known and completely obscure - to find songs with interesting musical similarities to your choice. Then sit back and enjoy as it creates a listening experience full of current and soon-to-be favorite songs for you.

You can create up to 100 unique "stations." And you can even refine them. If it's not quite right you can tell it so and it will get better for you.

The Music Genome Project was founded by musicians and music-lovers. We believe in the value of music and have a profound respect for those who create it. We like all kinds of music, from the most obtuse bebop, to the most tripped-out drum n bass, to the simplest catchy pop tune. Our mission is to help you connect with the music YOU like.

VII: Recommended Service (Better Than Pandora):

Grooveshark.com is kind of a mix between iTunes and Pandora. It's service is faster, it allows you to save your songs to a personal playlist, has no skip limit, and has no interrupting ads! I HIGHLY recommend you use Grooveshark.com for your personal internet radio service.

'[url=http://www.digitizd.com/2008/09/08/8-reasons-groovesharks-better-than-pandora/ wrote:

8 Reasons Grooveshark's Better than Pandora | Digitizd[/url]"] Pandora’s good, but it’s not the king of the castle anymore. When Grooveshark, previously a downloading service, launched Autoplay, it totally outstripped Pandora. Here’s why:

1. It does everything Pandora does.

This is worth noting- there’s nothing important that Pandora does that Grooveshark doesn’t do. You pick a song or an artist, and Grooveshark plays songs similar to the one you chose. Choices were relatively similar between the two, and even had similar interfaces for many things. You choose whether you like or dislike the song with a thumbs up or down. You move through a cover flow-like interface, and you can bookmark or favorite songs. The basic tenet of the two are essentially the same, so the little things are really where the comparisons lie.

2. It’s the radio, or a jukebox.

Grooveshark was initially an app that would let you create playlists song-by-song. Search for a song, and then add it to a playlist, which you can save, or the queue, which you can’t save. It creates an ad-hoc listening session, which is great in and of itself. Then, with Autoplay, Grooveshark added the radio feature, where it decides for you what songs to play next. You pick a song or artist, and Grooveshark plays songs it thinks you’ll like. Both of those services work well, and make for a great experience using the Internet radio, regardless of which way you choose to do it.

3. You can skip all the songs you like.

If you don’t like a song, skip it. If you don’t like 13 in a row, skip all 13. Pandora imposes limits on the songs you can skip every hour, but Grooveshark has no such thing. Skip to your heart’s delight. Plus, if you like a song, play it as much as you’d like. With Pandora, when a song ends, it ends. With Grooveshark, though, you can play a song as many times as you want- if you’re into a particular song, play it over and over.

4. It starts with the song you wanted.

On Pandora, if I search for “Home” by Michael Buble, the first song I get isn’t that one. It’s a similar one, which is fine, but not what I was looking for. If I want to here “Home,” the way to do it is go to Grooveshark. It begins with the song, artist or album you chose, and then goes from there. It’s something I never paid attention to on Pandora, but is a big plus for Grooveshark.

5. You can play whole albums or artists.

If you want to listen to an entire album of your main man Jimmy Buffett, or listen only to Hanson for hours on end, Pandora doesn’t give you a way to do that. Grooveshark does. Search for an artist, select them, and then on the right side click the play button. It will add up to 200 songs by that artist, or the entire album, to your playlist. Great for trying before you buy with albums, or just if you’re in the mood for a particular artist.

6. You can listen to popular music.

On the front page of Grooveshark, there’s a link to “Popular.” It shows you the most popular music out there, mirroring the Billboard charts beautifully. Listen to the popular music, and it becomes essentially a Top-40 radio station. Want to hear about how Katy Perry kissed a girl, and wondering how she felt about it? Check it out here, and then click “popular”.

7. It works better.

Grooveshark’s interface just looks better. The whole user experience is easier, mirroring more closely a desktop player like Windows Media Player. View lists of songs, related songs, and all the options for your search results on one page. You can also listen to music and search for more at the same time, which is a huge plus. Pandora tends to limit you to single-tasking, while Grooveshark does a better job of letting you stay a musical step ahead of yourself.

8. It’s faster.

Grooveshark’s search is faster, the songs load faster, the whole site works more easily. Pandora frequently gives me long loads between songs, and Grooveshark almost never does. Waiting between songs is a pain, and Grooveshark doesn’t make me do it. That’s a big deal.

Though I’m a big Pandora fan, and don’t have a lot of bad things to say about it, but Grooveshark outdoes it in enough ways that it’s taken over. In an already crowded market, Grooveshark just about booted the rest of them out.

VIII: Closing

Thank you for reading my "Internet Radio Guide". It took me a while to get everything together for you guys, so I hope it helps you. If you learned just one thing from my guide, then it was definitely worth writing. If this helped you at all, please comment and +rep. It's the only inspiration I need to continue contributing to the TeenHut.com community! Please report any broken links and I'll fix them right up!
      [LEFT][SIZE=2][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]ニンジャウォーリアーズ[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]-( The Ninja Warrior )-[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]My Internet Radio Guide[/SIZE][/LEFT]
    • Re: Internet Radio Guide

It is a good service, the only problem is you have to download it to your computer.

A lot of people using computers don't have administrative privileges, and have to keep their music away from their parents are whatever. (Headphones).

I haven't personally used it because I don't feel like taking two seconds to download it.

Much like Pandora, Spotify is available for smartphone users, but I *THINK* you have to be a premium user. In my opinion, Spotify is like a "downloadable" version of Grooveshark, but it's more focused on getting you to pay for premium features. (Such as offline music.)

Also, Spotify has regional restrictions, and short, interrupting ads in-between music. (Better than Pandora's long ads anyway.)

BUT

Spotify doesn't have a listening limit like Pandora.
      You can listen to as much as you'd like. (Like Grooveshark.)

'[url=http://www.trustedreviews.com/software/review/2009/03/05/Spotify--The-Future-of-Music-/p2 wrote:

Spotify: The Future of Music? - TrustedReviews - TrustedReviews[/url]"]
      What is Spotify?

Spotify describes itself as "A world of music. Instant, simple and free" and this is very apt. Once you've downloaded the client and created an account, you're then free to browse its library of music with no restrictions whatsoever beyond those created, unsurprisingly, by the music industry and its license agreements. Music is streamed, more or less instantly, using Peer-to-Peer technology at 160Kbps Ogg - equivalent to 192Kbps MP3.

In exchange, your listening is only occasionally interrupted by adverts, coming in the form of banners around the player, short audio clips, links and, only recently, a pop-up advert upon launch - in this instance for U2's latest album. Alternatively, if you don't fancy the adverts, you can pay for an advert free day pass for 99p, or a monthly subscription for £9.99.

Most importantly, though, while the music collection isn't completely comprehensive and is subject to some regional restrictions, it is nonetheless very large. Currently the service can boast the support of major labels such as Universal, Sony BMG, EMI and Warner Music, as well as independent labels and distribution networks like The Orchard, Merlin, CD Baby, INgrooves and the classical music label Naxos. Unlike Last.fm, meanwhile, you can listen to music as many times as you like.

Based on this information, I would still choose Grooveshark,
      UNLESS you're going to pay for premium features. (About $12-$13 a month)
    • Re: Internet Radio Guide

Grooveshark features a music library and custom playlists as well.
      If you have internet, you have your music.