Such thing as luck???

• Re: Such thing as luck???

Yes.

Everything in life can be broken down into terms of probability. Even though something may have a 99.9% of failure, sometimes that .1% is all it takes.

'[URL wrote:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/luck[/URL]"]
      1a : a force that brings good fortune or adversity
      b : the events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual
      2: favoring chance; also : success <had great luck growing orchids>

If you accept that definition, then yes, I do believe in it.
      It's a religious concept. If "some powerful force" (God) wants you to succeed, then you will. You can call it being lucky. (definition "a")
      [LEFT][SIZE=2][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]&#12491;&#12531;&#12472;&#12515;&#12454;&#12457;&#12540;&#12522;&#12450;&#12540;&#12474;[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]-( The Ninja Warrior )-[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]My Internet Radio Guide[/SIZE][/LEFT]

The post was edited 16 times, last by NinjaGuy1337: Fixed links. ().

Believing in luck means you innately believe in some higher power that has certain people's best interests in mind, and likes to fuck with other people.

There's no such thing as luck. Everything is a question of probability, yet our human mind doesn't want to associate success with the law of large numbers and statistical odds, because you can't skew those. So we invent the idea of luck, with the pretext that there are certain actions we can take to increase our luck.

Look at it this way. Not very many people win the lottery, it's extremely unlikely that you or anyone you know will do it in their lifetime. However, someone has to win, because even though the odds may be 1 in 64,000,000, there's still that one person that will win. Now, we see that person as 'lucky', but in reality it's just a statistical likelihood that if enough people buy lottery tickets, someone will win eventually.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

EVERYTHING is 'luck', everything is not 'luck'. everything happens due to a cause, ever experience arises from a cause nd that cause is the exact thing that creates the experience to pass. What you define as being good or bad luck is dependent from person to person. If you run out of pertrol or 'gas' if you are american then that is bad luck for you, but good luck for the person who has to tow your car... There is no superstitious cause to things, they happen because they do and happen due to the cause that brings them into being

Look at it this way. Not very many people win the lottery, it's extremely unlikely that you or anyone you know will do it in their lifetime. However, someone has to win, because even though the odds may be 1 in 64,000,000, there's still that one person that will win. Now, we see that person as 'lucky', but in reality it's just a statistical likelihood that if enough people buy lottery tickets, someone will win eventually.

of course to win the lottery on those odds is lucky, 1 in 64,000000.... luck is not some spiritual superstitious thing, it is just scraping the odds when they are stacked against you.
      ''there is no way to peace, peace is the way''

The post was edited 1 time, last by ThailandTom ().

ThailandTom wrote:

of course to win the lottery on those odds is lucky, 1 in 64,000000.... luck is not some spiritual superstitious thing, it is just scraping the odds when they are stacked against you.

The whole idea of luck revolves around the belief that certain people are more prone to "scrape the odds" than other, and that there are specific actions you can take to improve your odds that are completely unrelated (e.g. a rabbit's foot, 4 leaf clovers, etc.). Both of those beliefs are completely harebrained, which is why I don't believe in "luck".
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

douche bag, your screen name is embarassing. firstly techno is shit and secondly that german dude under the influence of ecstasy dancing to techno int he street is a bigger douche bag than you are. techno techno techno!!
      we can discuss what we like and especially considering it is in a thread referring to luck in the DISCUSSION forum you can just go and dance with techno viking you big silly gay. Nobody else has complained so cram it

ThailandTom wrote:

douche bag, your screen name is embarassing. firstly techno is shit and secondly that german dude under the influence of ecstasy dancing to techno int he street is a bigger douche bag than you are. techno techno techno!!
      we can discuss what we like and especially considering it is in a thread referring to luck in the DISCUSSION forum you can just go and dance with techno viking you big silly gay. Nobody else has complained so cram it

:rofl: I'm pretty sure using the avatar and username of the other poster are tips 1 and 2 of how to produce the shittest argument in a debate thread ever. Apart from just banging your hollow skull on the keyboard I don't think you could have done much worse.

I could have probably done much worse my techno troll friend, I could have maybe orientated my existence on a forum around a gay butch techno drug induced fool. I ma sure you probably have images covering your walls at home that you often masturbate over, 'ohhhh techno viking, ubberrrrr'
      But anyway, why would you have so much against discussing the notion of luck? Does it anger you in some way... maybe you feel you are down on luck in life, did mummy never kiss you good night so you resort to an obsession with a certain viking known only as, techno viking? It is merely a discussion about luck and if you have little to bring to the conversation, do not bother troll!

I guess it does depend on what you define as luck. I do not believe in fate or superstition, I believe in logic, in cause and effect and karma, which is basically the same thing. But yes, something can happen to you which you consider to be lucky, such as winning the lottery.. Of course that is lucky, the chances of you winning are so remote so it is 'lucky' that you won. Things can be considered bad luck such as a bird deciding to shit on your head, it is 'unlucky' that it landed on your head out of the many many places it could have landed. Although, some people believe that it is superstitiously lucky to be shat on... that is something I do not believe in