AP (Advanced Placement)

• AP (Advanced Placement)

Hello, peoples.

I am a sophomore in high school and I just recently got accepted into an AP for environmental science. It's on online course, so I do it all from the computer.

This is my first ever AP, and it won't be my last. My principal has already filled me in that I'm practically a shoe-in for other AP's in the next two years.

But, I'm nervous.

I don't know what to expect.

So, if any of you have ever taken an AP, It'd be much appreciated if you could tell me a bit about it, so I am at least a little prepared.

Thanks a lot :),
      Beth
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    • Re: AP (Advanced Placement)

I've taken lot of AP courses.
      You are taking them online however and that might be a little different... Generally they are more interesting and challenging than regular classes.
      They aren't that hard. Just do your work, study and you will be fine.
      I don't know how your high school does it but in mine, a C in an AP class = A in a regular class :D
      So don't feel too bad if you get a B. You are still doing good.

However it may be better to shoot for the 100.
      "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll be among the stars " :P

Good luck on your AP class.

If you have more questions you can add me on msn :P PM me for it.

Having never taken an online AP course, I can't speak from that standpoint.
      However, I did take a handful of regular AP classes at my high school, including AP U.S. History, AP Language & Comp, AP Calculus, AP European History, and a few others.

It's honestly not that bad. If you're taking several AP classes at once, it can get overwhelming at times; just make sure you stay on top of the subject material and study daily. There's absolutely nothing to be nervous about. All of my AP classes, along with the teachers who taught them, were great. Essentially, you can consider it an entry level college course. As long as you stay on top of things, you should do well in both the course and on the AP exam.

The best of luck!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am so completely jealous. I tried to take even a regular environmental science class, and our school cut it out of our schedules. I mean...AP...I think I'd just go crackers.

Anyway, don't worry about it. At all. There's a test at the end of the year, evaluating what you have learned. Get a study guide, I recommend Kapplan or Harvard's version. Never do the 5 steps to a 5, or whatever that book is called.

The test is meant to be stupidly difficult. It's curved, so basically, even if you do really bad, you can ride on the rest of the country having those few smart kids who do really well and bring your grade up. Most colleges accept the AP credit so long as you get a 3 or above, but some only accept a 4 or 5, so check that when you're applying for colleges in the next few years.

It's not that bad, just time consuming. They really exaggerate how difficult the courses will be, because they want to scare off the people who can't handle it, and drop. Heh. Good luck!

Honestly, AP classes in high school are a crapload harder than college courses (going to University of Houston). Of course, schools vary in difficulty, but each of my current classes (History, Calculus II) is easier than its AP counterpart (AP US History, AP Calculus).

In total, I have taken AP English III (Language and Comp?), AP Calculus, AP US History, AP Macroeconomics, and AP Government.

Like someone else said, never fall behind. I did this in English and US History and I passed with a 70 (our lowest unfailing grade) because my teachers were nice.

You'll want to slack off on it - APUSH homework...or hang out with my friends? - but really, it's either you hang out with your friends now, fail class, and take it in college or do it now and don't have to take it in college.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

The post was edited 1 time, last by artizhay ().

artizhay wrote:

Honestly, AP classes in high school are a crapload harder than college courses (going to University of Houston). Of course, schools vary in difficulty, but each of my current classes (History, Calculus II) is easier than its AP counterpart (AP US History, AP Calculus).

I agree with this - AP in high school seemed way more difficult and had a heavier workload than university (but then again, in university no one is telling you that you have to do anything, you could easily make the workload just as hard for yourself). It's easier to get higher marks in high school though.

It's really not that bad as long as (what everyone else said) you keep up with the work. Our division paid for us to take the exams so if we got the college credit, it was really just a "bonus" - and it kind of is, no matter what. I find university so ridiculously easy after going through AP. It really helps prepare you.

Yes, I think it does prepare you. I'm quite terrible with history but I find it so easy. I got the lowest unfailing grade in AP US History (in the class) and got a 2 on the exam, so no college credit, but that doesn't mean I didn't see the workload.

We had massive assignments daily and had to read quite a few chapters a night, so I guess I was expecting this to continue in college. However, while I still make myself read 1 to 2 chapters a day, there are no assignments other than papers you have to write and quizzes to take on the reading.

And plus, I love having my laptop in class. I spend most of my time on the computer and hate traditional things like pencil and paper. I can type up several pages of notes during lecture and actually enjoy it because it's easy for me.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

The post was edited 2 times, last by artizhay ().

I'm taking AP English and AP Government this year. They seem fine, a little challanging but i wouldn't have it any other way. It prepares you for college courses, teh classes are also weighted.

Can't speak much about the courses online but i'm sure they'll be the same just without the teaching environment.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]Anyone wanna chat don't be shy to hit me up on MSN :]
      [/SIZE]Exit Light.
      Enter Night.

[/CENTER]

AP Environmental Science should be really easy if you like learning about your environment. I took AP Italian my senior year and that was pretty difficult, but I managed to pass with an A. You get a lot of hw, but teachers usually give you an ample amount of time to complete it. Just make sure that you manage your time wisely and start assignments before the due date instead of rushing to catch up the night before.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]