Thomas Hardy;

• Thomas Hardy;

Hello TeenHutters!! :)

Okay, I'm in need of five books, from the author Thomas Hardy. I don't know if anyone here would know, but which of his novels would you recommend?

Hope someone can help me out :)

Much love from Anya x
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Purple"][CENTER][I]
      Heaven hath no rage like love to hatred turned,
      Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
    • Re: Thomas Hardy;

Opprobrium wrote:

Five?? Holy shit why???I've read Under the Greenwood Tree and Two on a Tower. They were both a little dry but okay. Not something I would normally read unless I'm being forced to though.

Thank you :)

Yeah I need to read five; over the next two years I need to read a LOT of English literature, in order to get into one of the best universities in England. It's a high goal but it's worth it :) Thank you!! I'll definitely look into them both.

Much appreciated;

Anya x
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rebekkah wrote:

whatever you do don't read tess of the dubervilles. sooo boring.

Already have, and you're quite right. The beginning is so monotonous and unending. This was the compulsory book I had to read for my A level course. Killed me to read it D:
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anastasia Salikhova wrote:

Already have, and you're quite right. The beginning is so monotonous and unending. This was the compulsory book I had to read for my A level course. Killed me to read it D:

damn. did u have english literature in your a levels? i never even thought of taking it in my worst nightmare. i've seen the syllabus of it and it consisted readings of sooo many boooooring books.

what do you intend to study in england btw?

Ashique wrote:

damn. did u have english literature in your a levels? i never even thought of taking it in my worst nightmare. i've seen the syllabus of it and it consisted readings of sooo many boooooring books.

what do you intend to study in england btw?

Aye, I took English Literature (hence the ebil books haha), Philosophy, Ethics, History of Modern America and Fifteenth Century England, Psychology, Entrepreneurial training, Critical Thinking and General Studies, all in A Level D: Gonna be a brutal two years. What about you??

x
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like things went really well for you!! Yeah from what I've seen so far I think my two remaining years of sixth form are, by far, going to be my best years - however, I have yet to see what uni is like haha.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Anastasia Salikhova wrote:

Sounds like things went really well for you!! Yeah from what I've seen so far I think my two remaining years of sixth form are, by far, going to be my best years - however, I have yet to see what uni is like haha.

things didn go well at all. i regret not studying much back then and i regret not completing physics exams now. i started regretting after a couple of semesters in uni btw. wasnt studying at all at that time too. lol :(. if i had taken my a levels a slight bit more seriously. i would have had much more options and opportunities open for me now.

however, best of luck for your exams. i hope you do good. and do tell me your thomas hardy reading experience. i was never ever a bookworm. only read a few story books in my life which was actually for reading purpose and not academic.

Ashique wrote:

things didn go well at all. i regret not studying much back then and i regret not completing physics exams now. i started regretting after a couple of semesters in uni btw. wasnt studying at all at that time too. lol :(. if i had taken my a levels a slight bit more seriously. i would have had much more options and opportunities open for me now.

however, best of luck for your exams. i hope you do good. and do tell me your thomas hardy reading experience. i was never ever a bookworm. only read a few story books in my life which was actually for reading purpose and not academic.

I am sorry to hear that things didn't go so well - but still, life is long, and although there are not so many opportunities available now, there will be over the years. And thank you for your wishes of luck; I return them tenfold to you :)

Hm, reading experience - Tess of the d'Urbervilles is...well, it's brutal and not recommended for people who aren't bookworms. General Victorian English Literature can be tough, but so worth it for the experience in my opinion - and because I took English Literature as a class, I get the chance to really understand what it's all about, which means that I can truly appreciate the material that I read. I think it's definitely worth it :) What kind of books do you read/have you read?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

lol thanks

as of my reading i read all of sherlock holmes and jules verne stories. all of them. but i read them in a local translated copy. but even reading that much is quite a lot for me. be it in any language.

besides that i read Great Expectations of Charles Dickens. I actually had to read a tale of two cities for my literature class in grade 8 but i picked this one up out of curiosity and read it all in a few days. loved this tale. i read it in normal english version. as in not exactly how dickens wrote it. else i wouldnt have understood a line.

and lastly Merchant of Venice by shakespeare. no offense to any of his fans but i had to read this stupid thing for 3 years for my literature classes. 1 year i had to read it in normal english translated one, the other two in the exact shakespeare writings. it was such a major pain but we were so forced to read them that i kindda developed a bad taste about it. reading the actual shakespeare writing was like learning a new language. i cant recall a single line from the tale :S. however i have some idea of the story as i also read a normal english translated one back in grade 6. after grade 8 me and none of my friends kept literature as it was not compulsory from grade 8 and we could choose our own subjects to study besides a few compulsory ones.

im a great reader... aint i ? :D

oh btw... i was a huge fan of comics
      i guess by grade 5 i finished all tintin comics.. most in my local language translated versions,a couple of jo jette and zoco, and a few asterix comics.
      i had all books of tintin but my mom started giving them away to other kids as i grew older :(
      a few years ago i downloaded all tintin comics off the internet and i still often read them. they are in english but now as i got quite good in english(at least way better than what it was in grade 5) i dont find much difference with the translated ones i read.
      and yes. that all explains my reading habbit :P

The post was edited 2 times, last by Ashique ().