Double Standard

• Re: Double Standard

well, those who are really, truly against homosexuality don't find it more forgiving either way, but yeah, i think some kind of double-standard does exist. i think it's been harder for guys to break out of the old-fashion "manly man" mold that they were expected to live up to like 50 years ago. woman seem to have an easier time of it. when a woman does things that was once considered "a man's job" (ex: run for President) she's commended and respected. but if a man does a woman's job, he's a sissy and a fag.

being a "fag" is an insult that means being a pussy, basically. even though being gay isn't just about being girly; many woman who are gay are just the opposite.

i think the youngest generation is becoming more accepting still, but it's going to be awhile before the acceptance is universal. maybe once the fucking baby boomers finally die off or something...

I totally see a double standard. But it works in strange ways.

I know girls who are coll with gay guys and lesbians or whatever else, and guys who are totally fine with lebians, extatic when they find a bisexual girl, but hate gay guys.

I think that men have a harder time accepting gay guys than women do. Partly because of the manly man thing, but also because girls have a certain stereotype in mind when they think of a gay guy. Something about being a "fag hag" seems to appeal to a lot of women.

Yep, pretty much all I can say.
      but for arguments sake, I just want to put in that
      we should be moving towards everyone being equally accepted,
      but does that include people leaning towards accepting one side more than the other?
      What I mean is, I never chose to think lesbians are sexy any more than any gay guy chose to think guys are sexy.. just a little bit to think on.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Raoul_Foil_Duke wrote:

Do you guys feel there is a double standard as far as how bi/homosexual relationships are perceived by society? It seems that in many cases, women get a free pass because what they do is seen as "hott" or "cool" but males are viewed as "gross" or "wrong." Perhaps girls have a different perspective. What do you guys think?

Yup, it's true.
      I think it is still this whole thing of men having to reproduce and be a father figure and all that other crap. It is often frowned upon for men to not want children. So is being gay.
      Although I can not remember correctly, and correct me if I am wrong, I noticed that during the gay rights struggle in the 70s in America, all anti-gay activists (including that bitch Anita Bryant) only focused on male homosexuality, but never female homosexuality.
      Can someone say closet case? ;)

Personally, I see love and affection as a beautiful thing, regardless if it is between two men, two women, or a male and a female.
      It is slowly being accepted, but I think the problem is people are side-stepping the issue now. I'm just glad the subject of homosexuality is making its way into entertainment, especially with Milk, I love You Philip Morris, and Brokeback Mountain.