MMA > Boxing

• Re: MMA > Boxing

I am not talking about tensing up. Just bring your shoulders up so that neck strikes can't get in.
      The first video looked pretty good, however nobody will leave their hand in the air that long.
      It looked way too compliant.

the second one looked legit.

And I disagree with the every martial art is useful comment. Certain martial arts are just flat out better than others. Those are the ones that are known for producing good fighters consistently. Any martial art can produce a good fighter but only a few produce good fighters 90% of the time.
      Hello JC - Cade

because that's only demo for an audience. true kung fu doesn't look beautiful, but instead it's useful. you can google it and you'll see that wing chun is used from SWAT, to FBI, to RAID and so on. it's useful because you do't have to rely on your weight and muscle mass but instead on speed. it uses principles it's better to hit your opponent 5 times than once and Knock him out. one of the main weaknesses of boxing and other full contact arts is that is really hard to defeat someone who's 50 pounds heavier than you. when you get such an opponent you can't fight fair, this is where street fighting arts come in handy.

with every martial art you can defend yourself on the street. not all of them are about producing good fighter, because a lot of em uses fighting as a last resort. the only difference between em is that with some you can learn how to fight quickly and with some it takes years of practice.
      Trance For Life!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is some really intresting conversation we have going on, and im glad to have started it.

Im not really sure about the Wing Chun or Jeet Kun Do stuff because ive never really seen or heard much about it. Something to google for me.

I still believe in BJJ as the most dominant martial art in the world, but in the future who knows? Now that almost everone knows BJJ, it just leaves a new oppurtunity for a new martial art to develop and become dominant, maybe a new martial art that has the sole purpose of defeating BJJ.

Let me pose this question: What happens when a JKD or WC master gets into the octagon? Who does he defeat. Or maybe he goes to a tournament based orginization such as Bellator. Does he/she win that tournament?

The post was edited 1 time, last by lostpariah ().

Most WC and JKD guys will tell you the only reason they won't win is because they can't kick to the groin or poke eyes.

At least that's what I've heard from lots of WC , and JKD guys.

I think they would easily lose as they are not as skilled as a pro MMA fighter. Their style doesn't match up well against the average MMA fighter.

Some JKD guys might do pretty good tho. The only WC guy I've seen in MMA is Shawn Obasi... Google him.
      The first time I saw him he was crying and begging at an M-1 tryout.
      Hello JC - Cade

The post was edited 1 time, last by JC ().

Number Juan wrote:

Bullets aren't infinite. I think standard military weapons hold around 35. Maybe more. Not really sure.
      When they run out of bullets they have to resort to hand to hand. Or they have to resort to bashing people with objects xD. But hand to hand is still good to know for them, otherwise they wouldn't learn it.
      Also, when they need to control people without shooting them.

They carry more than 35 bullets with them haha
      Individual & Crew Served Weapons Fact Files for the United States Army
      What I meant though is they don't really need to know striking, they have knives and bayonets
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by SMOKE. ().

Number Juan wrote:

Most WC and JKD guys will tell you the only reason they won't win is because they can't kick to the groin or poke eyes.

At least that's what I've heard from lots of WC , and JKD guys.

I think they would easily lose as they are not as skilled as a pro MMA fighter. Their style doesn't match up well against the average MMA fighter.

Some JKD guys might do pretty good tho. The only WC guy I've seen in MMA is Shawn Obasi... Google him.
      The first time I saw him he was crying and begging at an M-1 tryout.

i've seen him fighting and let me tell you. that's NOT WING CHUN. and even if it is he's complete begginer. he has no reflexes, no stance, no true power...

wing chun is not just about kicking to the groin. it's much more. as you can't fight with krav maga in the MMA you can't with wing chun. street fight is different than cage fight. cage fight in the UFC is still safe zone while fight on the street isn't. on the street cheating is one of the most usefull things. if you have a bottle you'll use it, if you have a stick you'll use it, if you have a glass of water you'll spill water on him and distract him. people still don't know the difference between fight in the UFC and fight on the street. on the street you have to fight to survive while in the UFC you can tap, you can't tap on the street.

if you'll ever watch any street fighting art at a high level you'll see that they all look the same. why? because street fighting psychology doesn't change with different arts. it doesn't matter if you train karate, kapap, JKD or wing chun. all of them teach you basically the same thing just on different way. i can tell you that they also have same principles. they are all very aggressive, direct and without flashy movements.

wing chun could work in UFC but then this wouldn't be wing chun any more. wing chun it's not just chain punching and kicking to the groin. also street fighting arts were made without having to fight in gloves, so there is many wing chun techniques that wouldn't work if you have them.

you can't know the art if you watch videos on youtube. those guys on youtube are mostly beginners and they really don't know the true art. with wing chun is happening exactly the same as karate. the art is being tough by some guys that don't really understand it. like katas. most people hate them but that's because they don't fully understand them. within them there is hidden the true art and they are really like living book. thsi goes for wing chun and karate and probably for more MA.

i also don't understand why any art should be tested in UFC? the true master doesn't need conformation from people that have watched UFC 2 times and maybe been on 2 boxing trainings and now he thinks he's tough, he has to get that conformation from himself.

just for a bonus. Carlson Gracie was big friend with Samuel Kwok. Sam Kwok is one of the best WC masters and Carlson respected WC very much. they even held a seminar together about connecting both arts.
      [ame='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3jJ-lb7N8A']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3jJ-lb7N8A[/ame]

here is one saying that was said by Fumio Toyoda Shihan:

why study martial arts? a true martial artist does not train to defeat others. he trains to defeat the enemies inside himself, the enemies we all have. he trains to forge his life into something beautiful, something helpful to the world. he wishes not to draw the sword, but to put it away-once and for all.

he can do this because, through his training peace is not just a word or idea to him. strength, bravery, compassion: this are not just words to him. they are things he has embodied. they are what he has become

i'm not saying this is true, because every man on himself chooses why he'll train martial arts. most of them choose the right way while some of them just become assholes that are disgrace for martial arts.
      Trance For Life!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What is the right reason for training martial arts according to you?

Shawn Obasi says he has been training Wing Chun for a looooong time.He cried saying he was a Wing Chun man on the M1 tryouts. You know what I've noticed? Whenever a Wing Chun guy fights and loses people say that he was not using Wing Chun. Whenever a guy that has done wing chun but doesn't use it wins, chunners say he won because he used Wing Chun concepts. What's up with that?
      Wing Chun is unbeatable or what?

What techniques of Wing Chun wouldn't work?Besides groin shots and eye poking and all those things of course. There are only like 17 banned moves on the UFC right now. Google the list. MMA has some really lenient rules. It's not like they wear boxing gloves which severely limit you.
      The arts that have been proven in the UFC to work were not proven recently, they were proven in the days where UFC was basically vale tudo and even groin hits were allowed.

You CAN fight with Krav MAgga in MMA. The great majority of the moves are allowed in there.
      Hello JC - Cade

well put from both of you guys. I think that training martial arts can go as both a sport and as a way to conquer deamons inside yourself. Lots of Tae Kwon Do places in Chicago and around the world teach martial arts as a form of self-discipline, while MMA is obviously a sport.

Theres alot of debate on this WC and JKD stuff. does it have any real backing to it, or is it just show?

lostpariah wrote:

well put from both of you guys. I think that training martial arts can go as both a sport and as a way to conquer deamons inside yourself. Lots of Tae Kwon Do places in Chicago and around the world teach martial arts as a form of self-discipline, while MMA is obviously a sport.

Theres alot of debate on this WC and JKD stuff. does it have any real backing to it, or is it just show?

WC has some pretty good theories. But they are just that.. theories. I've never seen a Wing Chun guy fighting at a high level in the cage. I mean even in the fight quest Wing Chun episode, the Fight Quest guys beat the crap out of the wing Chun masters, but they still loss because it wasn't about damage.
      Wing chun has no grappling defense. And I've heard a lot of stylists speaking and they are like " Screw grappling that crap's gay. I have my tiger claw, he will never be able to take me down I'll punch him in the face. Bruce Lee did Wing Chun. Centerline theory principle >all. Chain punching is unbeatable. " However the reality is, that when a Wing Chun guy fights, it looks like crappy MMA.

JKD is legit. However, a lot of instructors emphasize dirty techniques too much and claim they are unbeatable. Some dude on youtube was actually saying how he could get out of an armbar simply by biting, or elbowing the guy in the nuts. If you've ever been put on a decent armbar, you know that's just not the case. Some guy actually listed himself as 18 years submission fighting expert then proceeded to call grappling gay, sexual and intimate... I was like " Dude do you even know what you are saying? According to you you've been doing that for 18 years..."

So yeah a lot of fakes in there. If they tell you " Our techniques are too deadly to use in sparring" It's bullshido. I mean some techniques shouldn't be used because of injury risk, but when ALL their techniques can kill someone its obviously a lie.
      Hello JC - Cade

breakboy wrote:

i know this guy that's been doing tkd since he was a kid and he still fights like a girl. some martial arts are only useful for looking pretty

Good point. I did TKD for a while too. I once got in a fight with some guy at school, I couldn't land a single kick. It's a fail martial art. You need to be at a very high level with it to be able to fight mediocre. I won't go as far to say that No training> TKD training because TKD will give you flexibility, speed and other things... but the average dude will beat a TKD guy most of the time.
      Hello JC - Cade