• Target
      • Walmart
      • Walgreens
      • Petco
      • PetSmart
      • Best Buy
      • Ultimate Electronics
      • Dierbergs (grocery store)

Not a single one has so much as contacted me in any way saying that the job was taken or available. Im guessing its because im 16 (now 17). i have no criminal record or anything else "outstanding" that i would see as working against me in this situation.

So anyone with a job, where did you get it, and where can i?
      [CENTER][SIZE="2"]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. Seuss[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    • Re: anywhere still hiring teenagers?

Hi, I'm 16, I went to the local restaurant, it's only small, and asked for a job, although I'm too young to serve alcohol he's alowing me to do ''extras'' which is when there are marrages and he needs a few more poeple to help out, it's not anything big but it alows me to get a bit of money from time to time
      [CENTER]Some people think I'm crazy, others think that duck's better than chicken (:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]

Honestly, food is hiring. And maybe not even that. In March 2009, I lost my job due to some bad decisions (well really it was a silly reason; bad decision nonetheless). I searched all summer, working my way down from those "decent" jobs to fast food.

I got a job at Burger King but really it wasn't that bad. I liked it and spent a year there. Mostly it's your coworkers and customers that make it interesting; the job itself isn't too bad.

I recently moved on to a retail store only because I personally know the store manager and he wanted to offer me a job once I turned 18. I applied several places after a year at BK that I really wanted to work at, such as cell phone stores, electronic stores, etc.

And right now, BK isn't even offering up my old spot. They haven't been hiring for about 8 months now and are now splitting up my old hours.

Apply at food, though. Unless you can turn yourself into a hot girl.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

I got a job at a cafe when I was 13, but that was to hard for me, so I got a washing job. You could try that, like a washer at a school or something. They usually hire people who wants to do a good job. Now I work at McDonald's, and they hire teenagers too. And in fact, as said before up here ^ , it's not that bad as people think it is. If the peole yo work with are nice, then you'll have a great time at work :)

This is kind of an old thread but I thought I'd chime in just in case anyone else is interested.

First off, DO NOT APPLY AT WALMART. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. I worked there for about 3 years and it fucking sucked. The customers are rude and stupid, and most of them bathe only about once a week or less. The managers are petty and there is an INCREDIBLE amount of micromanagement and corporate bullshit. Rules change constantly and they never bother to tell you until you've already fucked up. TL;DR: Walmart is a shitty company and you should stay the hell away. The money isn't worth it.

Moving on...I worked at PetSmart for about a month temporarily, it was OK. About what you'd expect from a place that sells pets and pet supplies.

I currently work at Best Buy, and I can easily say it's the best job I've ever had. My pay is annoyingly low given the multiple years of retail experience I have, and they are a bit too anal about shoving their protection plans down every orifice in the customer's body, but all in all it's the first job I've had that didn't make me want to shoot myself in the face after a week of work. The employee discount is fucking massive...I just bought a pair of $80 headphones for $38. Feels good man.

So there you go.

As for how to actually get hired, your best bet is to apply during the Christmas season (like right now) and wherever you're getting hired will probably take you in as a temporary seasonal employee. Then, let them know you're interested in staying on permanently, kiss some ass, and bam, you're in. I've never had any place call me back during spring or the dead of summer.

The post was edited 2 times, last by xyz123456 ().

Solgave wrote:

I got a job at a cafe when I was 13, but that was to hard for me, so I got a washing job. You could try that, like a washer at a school or something. They usually hire people who wants to do a good job. Now I work at McDonald's, and they hire teenagers too. And in fact, as said before up here ^ , it's not that bad as people think it is. If the peole yo work with are nice, then you'll have a great time at work :)

How did you work at 13? Lmao.
      [LEFT][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/LEFT]

macshutter wrote:

How did you work at 13? Lmao.

How i did work? Like everyone else - I applied, went to an interview and got the job? Haha :P It's not like it is hard or anything... I worked like those who were 40 years.
      [SIZE=3](●̮̮̃•̃) (●̮̮̃•̃)
      /█\ ♥/█[/SIZE][SIZE=3]\
      [/SIZE] [SIZE=3]♥ ᶫᵒᵛᵉᵧₒᵤ[/SIZE]

Sometimes there are too much opportunities but all becomes useless when you don't know where to go for getting connected and staying updated about these opportunities. Why you don't try in Alberta. I have found that Fort Mcmurray alone has too much opportunities.

Back before I was an engineer, I worked at Best Buy for a stint. It was pretty good for retail. They really help you to learn skills that are key to making connections with customers in a short time, and these skills are universally applicable. It's funny how the interactions you use to sell a computer are the same interactions you need to sell yourself at the next interview. I only quit Best Buy because I now have a job paying more than 3x what they were.

For us more technical people, they also offer online training for their employees. Most of these are based around the products they sell, but they also have training that is directed toward managers that is available to regular employees. I took a 2 hour long course on Lean Six Sigma (Wiki it!), which proved crucial to nailing the next job. They taught it as a managerial model to organize employee actions, but my ability small talk its role in manufacturing was incredibly helpful.

See if you can get a gig at Best Buy in the future. It's definitely worth the time you put into it.
      Check out my awesome blog! http:trivialtreasure.blogspot.com/
      My awesome art blog! alteredartmagic.blogspot.com/

Protip:
      Apply for UPS/Fedex
      You'll probably land a temporary, seasonal job right away as a package handler and for UPS a driver helper. The pay is around $8.00 and it's not difficult. It's the holidays so I would assume they're hiring. And keep in mind, if you perform your job well, you might stick around.
      [CENTER]I came; I saw; I conquered
      [/CENTER]