What is love?

• What is love?

So I've been thinking about this lately: what is love? I mean really, does it even exist? Currently my thoughts are that it doesn't, that it is a nice idea but is in the end, a fictional form of sexual desire. Take animals for instance. You would think that if "love" in humans existed it would exist in them too; yet they don't go about giving each other roses and boxes of chocolates (metaphorically speaking). They quite frankly, "fuck on the first date".

As much as I hope "love" isn't just a fanciful term for sexual desire, I am prepared to accept that it is. That "love" is just the animal instinct to procreate, all dressed up so that it looks less animalistic, basic, primitive; and more 'divine' and at the same time more 'acceptable' in a society. For example, you can imagine if two people had sex in public it would be frowned upon by all who saw it; but if two people kissed in public - both of which are sexual activities - that would be Ok. The problem with me determining for myself what love truly is, though, is that I've never been in a relationship to see for myself. I'm really just an observer on the matter. But i'm sure on here that there are many people in a better position to know, and are honest enough to say what they really think of the idea of "love".

So, what do you think love is?

The post was edited 2 times, last by No1sPerfect: Edited to explain my reasonings/views further ().

• Re: What is love?

No1sPerfect wrote:

So I've been thinking about this lately: what is love? I mean really, does it even exist? Currently my thoughts are that it doesn't, that it is a nice idea but is in the end, a fictional form of sexual desire. Take animals for instance. You would think that if "love" in humans existed it would exist in them too; yet they don't go about giving each other roses and boxes of chocolates. They quite frankly, "fuck on the first date". Which is what leads me to think "so this is what love is, in reality?".

As much as I hope "love" isn't just a fanciful term for sexual desire, I am prepared to accept that it is, difficult though it is. The problem with me determining for myself what love truly is, though, is that I've never been in a relationship to see for myself. I'm really just an observer on the matter. But i'm sure on here that there are many people in a better position to know, and are honest enough to say what they really think of the idea of "love".

So, what do you think love is?

The fact is, animals cant buy eachother roses and stuff.
      I mean, it's different "culture" in a sense, what we deem to be love an animal could find just weird.
      If love doesnt exist then neither do any feeling, does happiness exist? Sadness? Remorse? Guilt?
      Love exists, "A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person" love is a deep sense of caring.

Mr. Frazer wrote:

I mean, it's different "culture" in a sense, what we deem to be love an animal could find just weird.
      If love doesnt exist then neither do any feeling, does happiness exist? Sadness? Remorse? Guilt?
      Love exists, "A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person" love is a deep sense of caring.

This. Exactly.

Love is NOT sexual desire either. How do I know this? Because if I was told tomorrow that if I stay with my boyfriend, I can never have sex again for the rest of my life... I wouldn't even have to hesitate before saying that I don't care. Why? because I love him.

Love and sexual desire are two completely different things. I've never been in a relationship in my life, so I can't really tell you I know what it's like. And everyone may have their own interpretation of it. Honestly, the last time I heard that question asked, the response was love is beyond definition. It can't really be explained in words. I mean, yeah it's a close connection with two people that goes beyond regular friendship, but there's more to it than that. This is one of those emotions you just have to experience for yourself in order to grasp what it's about. Love is unpredictable, there is no set in stone explanation. One of the joys of life, the mystery of love.

Hello :)

Love is many things. Love is a bond, a trust, and a comfort felt between two people that can match no other in the universe. Love is the feeling of belonging completely to the person you feel that way for, and knowing that they belong to you also. Love is giving the person the key to your soul, letting them know everything about you, knowing that they are your soul mate, and understanding who they are and how they work so perfectly with you. Love is dedicating yourself to the person, and knowing that without a doubt, they are there for you. Love is not physical or mental. It is a concept much like that of the meaning of life, the existence of God - it is something that mankind has neither intellectual capacity nor patience to understand, let alone the ability to comprehend that it may be something more than expected.

Sexual desire is a series of mental and physical reactions that happens when you are rawly attracted to someone (or, indeed, something). A mere thought or feeling can trigger such an impulse, and it is something that can on occasion be hard to control. It is something that happens between animals also, as well as humans. However, you don't see trust in, shall we say, a pair of praying mantises, do you? No, the female eats the male, in fact, or something like that.

Love is trust, dedication and acceptance beyond what we can understand.
      Sexual desire is animal instinct that is most definitely in our range of understanding.

That's my opinion.

~Anya x
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="Purple"][CENTER][I]
      Heaven hath no rage like love to hatred turned,
      Nor Hell a fury like a woman scorned.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER][/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

There is a word for sexual desire. It's called lust. Love does not equal lust. You don't even have to be in love with someone to love them. You can love how they treat you, how they listen to your problems, how intelligent they are, and more.

If you're in love with someone, all of the above applies, but you've committed yourself to them, which includes your sexual attention, but it's narrow-minded to assume that sex is the whole sum of love.

And about your comparison to animals. If I remember enough from biology, it's an animal's natural instinct to reproduce. They don't "do it" because they're in love, they do it because they want to spread their species. We have the same desire as well, but we have another complexity that makes us want to only do it with the person we're attached to.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

Mr. Frazer wrote:

^^
      The reason why I think it exists is because I saw my boyfriend write this and I smiled. Why? Because when he tells me he loves me I now know the above is what he is feeling towards me. Most importantly, the fact he only feels this towards me, and no other. Love would not be love if you could love everyone in the same way; in that case it would merely be a natural feeling.

Personally, love is smiling when you're reminded of someone you feel you love.
      And hence, I do not smile about anyone and everyone when I think about them.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Mrs. Frazer ().

I think that love is in the first place the most wonderful feeling in the world. Yes, it happens that this feeling causes us pain and other non-pleasant feelings, but the fact is that we can all feel. With no cold people who would not love. Love can be different. Love for friends, to parents, to his guys \ girls. But the feeling one cerns. Just everyone feels

I believe that love is a feeling, like sadness, pain, joy. Only with a different value. Be who you should be with someone.
      [SIZE=3]Je veux moi quelqu'un, quelque part, et parfois d'attente [/SIZE]

No1sPerfect wrote:

So I've been thinking about this lately: what is love? I mean really, does it even exist? Currently my thoughts are that it doesn't, that it is a nice idea but is in the end, a fictional form of sexual desire. Take animals for instance. You would think that if "love" in humans existed it would exist in them too; yet they don't go about giving each other roses and boxes of chocolates (metaphorically speaking). They quite frankly, "fuck on the first date".

Yeah, animals are pretty basic as far as love goes but there are some exceptions. Plenty of animals mate for life, and I know geese in particular really watch out for and protect each other, and if their mate dies they become super distressed and sometimes become mourning loners. I don't know if it's love but it's certainly more than just "getting some".

I really like the quote Love is a verb, not a noun. It's much more than just a feeling, which people generally make it out to be. And when it's love, you know. :)

the definition for love, rly cant say anyone can answer this right but in a sense love is something that rly shouldnt BE defined. doesnt mean it cant though so here is my shot. love is kind of a mixed feeling of desire and completness. both of these can cause happyness. so a biproduct of said "love". now for a more philosophical approach? love is when the bond between to people. unconditional, and for the most part. ever lasting. love is something we dont recognize at first. its like a drug. something introduced into our body. makes us do things and feel things that we dont understand. and always has a terrible comedown. btw this is going to be terribly ranty, but love is again a feeling. and feelings cant really be described fruther then i already did but it can be represented and reproduced through metaphors and scenarios. love is wanting to be with someone, and put them above yourself. not for there looks, there wits, the charm, there knowledge. or any combination of these. but just because that someone connects with you on such a deep level you cant analyze it. and if anything trying to analyze it could make it disappear all together. love is the feeling you get when you think of that person when your away from them. the feeling you get when your walking with them silently. holding each other. love is the feeling you get when your with someone. or want to be with someone. for no reason. again, there looks. not for their money. not because they can get you this or because they can get you in here. but because you WANT to be with them. just be with them. forever. you want to help them. not because you want to benefit from it or even because you want them to benefit. but because you want to help them. please them. and make them happy. i hope this helps. oh also animals. animals are the perfect form of love. first you have to understand dating. dating in a whole is NOTHING but you getting to know someone. and highschool dating pisses me off. because youll get ppl that dont understand this and wont date you because they dont know you. see the irony? anyways so dating is to learn more about someone. or anything about them if its the first. just under a more mutual agreement that you want to see if theres a relationship to build out of the two of you. animals are always together. just as though its another culture they have many lovers. people they love, or animals rather they love. always with them for no reason other then to be with them. now sex. sex is instinctual and has nothing to do with love. once you understand that love is a feeling that is a consequence of things. like being with the person you love. you can say love and sex are related but only in the terms that love is an aphrodisiac, love can compliment sex. thats about it. sex is instinct. we do it to keep our race alive. animals do it for this reason, we do it for this reason. we just happen to have a brain that relizes sex produces orgasms. so we have sex to produce orgasms. orgasm or babies. again i hope this helped