Concerned about what this older man said

• Concerned about what this older man said

My grandma lives with me-- I took her in. My husband agreed to let her stay with us in our apartment.

My husband was at work, my grandma has a breathing problem and she has an oxygen tank, that needs checked every couple of months. This older man checked hers today.

He didn't look at me once and barely smiled. He talked to my grandma but not me. I was upset because I felt like there was something wrong with me.

Before he came to my house to check my grandma's oxygen tank, I was writing in my spiral notebook, songs I wanted to download for my mp3 player.

We have a see-through glass door and like I said, we live in an apartment. Our neighbors live LITERALLY next door. They can see inside my living room. The man who checks the oxygen tank, asked my grandma to autograph this paper (verifying that he did what he came to do). When he said autograph I flipped inside. I felt like when he was coming into my apartment he saw me writing in my notebook and I also forgot to mention that I was writing my name in cursive because I like how it looks. And I was bored!

I am totally embarrassed because he and my neighbor's probably think I'm thinking I'm famous and that I am a mentally ill person who thinks I'm famous.

That to me is probably the reason he was so mean, is because he thought I was a mentally ill person. Now when I see my neighbor's coming into their apartment I have to stop writing for fear that they'll get a kick out of thinking I'm mentally ill and that they feel sorry for me cause in their mind I'm trying to be famous and they know I won't ever be (not that I want to).

How do I not let this bother me? I mean, the guy didn't have to say autograph, he could've said sign. Is it true that they were thinking I was thinking I was signing autographs?
    • Re: Concerned about what this older man said

You really have nothing to worry about. He was most likely being nicer to your grandma because she is the one that needs the most caring for. It's possible he just doesn't enjoy his job, but he won't be rude to a patient in need, so he'll take out his frustration on someone else. You never know how someone's day is going - he may have had a bad one - so it doesn't mean he doesn't like you.

Lots of people say "autograph" instead of "sign" because it's somewhat of a joke and makes people laugh.

When I worked in the drive-thru at a fast food restaurant I would sometimes just joke around with customers and ask if I could be privileged enough to receive an autograph when they needed to sign the credit card receipt. The man probably just wanted to make your grandma smile or cheer her up some.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

The post was edited 4 times, last by artizhay ().

He was being sweet to Grandma! You're just overthinking and worrying about something silly. Don't worry about it, hahaha!
      [LEFT][SIZE=2][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]ニンジャウォーリアーズ[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]-( The Ninja Warrior )-[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]My Internet Radio Guide[/SIZE][/LEFT]

Raoul_Foil_Duke wrote:

What's up with all these people posting COMPLETELY WEIRD stuff for their first posts? It's like trolling on steroids...

It's quite possible that this is a real person and she probably doesn't appreciate being called "COMPLETELY WEIRD." Now I haven't been here long so I can't differentiate the trolls from the legitimate people, but people come here for advice regardless of the severity or complexity of the situation. Therefore, it's a good idea to provide quality feedback instead of insulting someone who really needs help. If you search for advice websites in Google, this site comes up. So naturally, if someone wanted advice, they would come here and register, then immediately ask for opinions regarding their situation, hence the low post count.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

artizhay wrote:

It's quite possible that this is a real person and she probably doesn't appreciate being called "COMPLETELY WEIRD." Now I haven't been here long so I can't differentiate the trolls from the legitimate people, but people come here for advice regardless of the severity or complexity of the situation. Therefore, it's a good idea to provide quality feedback instead of insulting someone who really needs help. If you search for advice websites in Google, this site comes up. So naturally, if someone wanted advice, they would come here and register, then immediately ask for opinions regarding their situation, hence the low post count.

Yes, that's completely possible, in which I would apologize as I mean no offense. However, over the last week there have been multiple people coming on with 2 or 3 posts, all of which look a bit like trolling. They're all quite long, contain several implausible, off the wall fears (babies see my face in their mother's womb and that's why they're born, a family on a reality show that I never have or never will meet will be mad that I "copied" their name, my neighbors are turning on ambulance sirens to make me freak out, i have a husband but am going to ask the internet whether the neighbors think i'm insane and suffering from delusions thinking i'm famous because the oxygen man asked for an "autograph" on the bill, stuff like this)

They generally appear around the same time of day, and read like they could have been easily written by the same person. The OP never responds to anyone after opening the thread. Several of the similar threads written by different screen names all operate because of a misunderstanding of a common word or phrase.

I'm not saying someone can't just jump in and start asking for help, after all, that's what the site is for, but do you agree there are some coincidences going on here?

If I'm wrong, sorry to the OP. I'll give you my autograph to make up for it :)

Raoul_Foil_Duke wrote:

Yes, that's completely possible, in which I would apologize as I mean no offense. However, over the last week there have been multiple people coming on with 2 or 3 posts, all of which look a bit like trolling. They're all quite long, contain several implausible, off the wall fears (babies see my face in their mother's womb and that's why they're born, a family on a reality show that I never have or never will meet will be mad that I "copied" their name, my neighbors are turning on ambulance sirens to make me freak out, i have a husband but am going to ask the internet whether the neighbors think i'm insane and suffering from delusions thinking i'm famous because the oxygen man asked for an "autograph" on the bill, stuff like this)

They generally appear around the same time of day, and read like they could have been easily written by the same person. The OP never responds to anyone after opening the thread. Several of the similar threads written by different screen names all operate because of a misunderstanding of a common word or phrase.

I'm not saying someone can't just jump in and start asking for help, after all, that's what the site is for, but do you agree there are some coincidences going on here?

If I'm wrong, sorry to the OP. I'll give you my autograph to make up for it :)

Logic ftw.

Also, OP, if you're not a troll - don't worry about it. It meant absolutely nothing. If the man whose job it is to care for sick people thought you were mentally ill, he would have been nice to you :p Take his not being nice to you to mean he didn't think that. He could have just been having a bad day, or might not have wanted to bother you. It could be anything, to be honest, but you're overreacting, so calm down.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aannddyy on msn wrote:

hye, i jstu red ur post in the dibates and diskushon bord lol
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

DamnImGood;1062835947 wrote:

I'm definitely an idiot.

[/CENTER]

Girlsnextdoor wrote:

My grandma lives with me-- I took her in. My husband agreed to let her stay with us in our apartment.

My husband was at work, my grandma has a breathing problem and she has an oxygen tank, that needs checked every couple of months. This older man checked hers today.

He didn't look at me once and barely smiled. He talked to my grandma but not me. I was upset because I felt like there was something wrong with me.

Before he came to my house to check my grandma's oxygen tank, I was writing in my spiral notebook, songs I wanted to download for my mp3 player.

We have a see-through glass door and like I said, we live in an apartment. Our neighbors live LITERALLY next door. They can see inside my living room. The man who checks the oxygen tank, asked my grandma to autograph this paper (verifying that he did what he came to do). When he said autograph I flipped inside. I felt like when he was coming into my apartment he saw me writing in my notebook and I also forgot to mention that I was writing my name in cursive because I like how it looks. And I was bored!

I am totally embarrassed because he and my neighbor's probably think I'm thinking I'm famous and that I am a mentally ill person who thinks I'm famous.

That to me is probably the reason he was so mean, is because he thought I was a mentally ill person. Now when I see my neighbor's coming into their apartment I have to stop writing for fear that they'll get a kick out of thinking I'm mentally ill and that they feel sorry for me cause in their mind I'm trying to be famous and they know I won't ever be (not that I want to).

How do I not let this bother me? I mean, the guy didn't have to say autograph, he could've said sign. Is it true that they were thinking I was thinking I was signing autographs?

Autographs? LOL thats all I do I write my sig in my notebook
      "I'm gods lonely man"

Wow, you are really letting your mind wander here. I don't think that anyone has the idea that your are metally ill, and other than your mind going crazy right now I'd say your pretty normal. Try not to worry about what other people think, or just might think for that matter. If anything, they would be the silly ones for thinking things about you without any reasonable cause. Just have a good laugh about it, you know what you are so the ideas of others mean nothing. In the future try not to put too much thought into things like this, you will drive yourself crazy.

Have a nice day!
      Alex Mason