God Stuff.

• Hey there, a lot of people say things like "If God exists then why did he* make war?" or even "Why did he give me acne?!" (... You get my point) If you're a Christian and have a good answer for these types of questions then please feel free to explain :P In my opinion God doesn't exist, but if he did then why would he let such bad things happen?** (OMG pimples!!11!!) Many global tragedies and poverty, cancer. All these things which not just kill people but affect so many more. Is it just some kind of 'test' that the Lord wants to put us through?

Any thoughts?

*I'm not saying God is a 'he' - just saying 'it' would have sounded even worse.

**Or rather, not stopping the bad things when they happen by themselves.
    • Re: God Stuff.

First off, you're going to need to understand that if God does indeed exist, he doesn't need to be a benevolent or loving deity. The God you're referring to is one such as the Judeo-Christian God, or a God with benevolent characteristics. "God" is essentially, using the most common definition, an all-powerful being that created the universe.

You have a wide array of people who believe in God, and not all of them believe that God is "good" or that God even cares about humans, such as in the case of Deism. Many philosophers, such as Voltaire, believed in God; however, they didn't believe that God influenced everyday life. In the case of religions like Deism, God and disaster aren't inherently mutually exclusive. Simply put, God created the universe and left it.
      Deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm afraid it's unlikely that anyone will be able to successfully appease your questions. Brilliant philosophers and theologists throughout history have attempted to answer the questions you're asking. There really is no absolute or finalized answer. When you're dealing with God and religion, pretty much everything is subjective.

Acne, cancer, etc. are all biological byproducts of our anatomy. Could God have created humans in a different manner? Possibly. Then again, if he created us in a manner contrary to our present biological functions, there may very well have been more potent and prevalent anomalies that would occur in our daily lives. In other words, even though God may have been capable of creating humans in another manner, the method in which he did create us and our biological functions might have been the most efficient.

When it comes to global tragedies, you could apply similar logic. Meteorological processes within our atmosphere are governed by laws. The same processes that allow for the imperative conditions that allow us to live on earth also allow for deadly disasters to occur. As an example, the sun is the most influential entity when it comes to meteorological conditions. And while it allows for humans to live on earth, it also comes with adverse effects; you can't have it one way but not the other.

As for poverty and war, those are complications that arise from our methods of economic and government practices. They're not controlled by any higher power.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The post was edited 1 time, last by LuklaAdvocate ().

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

First off, you're going to need to understand that if God does indeed exist, he doesn't need to be a benevolent or loving deity. The God you're referring to is one such as the Judeo-Christian God, or a God with benevolent characteristics. "God" is essentially, using the most common definition, an all-powerful being that created the universe.

You have a wide array of people who believe in God, and not all of them believe that God is "good" or that God even cares about humans, such as in the case of Deism. Many philosophers, such as Voltaire, believed in God; however, they didn't believe that God influenced everyday life. In the case of religions like Deism, God and disaster aren't inherently mutually exclusive. Simply put, God created the universe and left it.
      Deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm afraid it's unlikely that anyone will be able to successfully appease your questions. Brilliant philosophers and theologists throughout history have attempted to answer the questions you're asking. There really is no absolute or finalized answer. When you're dealing with God and religion, pretty much everything is subjective.

Acne, cancer, etc. are all biological byproducts of our anatomy. Could God have created humans in a different manner? Possibly. Then again, if he created us in a manner contrary to our present biological functions, there may very well have been more potent and prevalent anomalies that would occur in our daily lives. In other words, even though God may have been capable of creating humans in another manner, the method in which he did create us and our biological functions would be the most efficient.

When it comes to global tragedies, you could apply similar logic. Meteorological processes within our atmosphere are governed by laws. The same processes that allow for the imperative conditions that allow us to live on earth also allow for deadly disasters to occur. As an example, the sun is the most influential entity when it comes to meteorological conditions. And while it allows for humans to live on earth, it also comes with adverse effects; you can't have it one way but not the other.

As for poverty and war, those are complications that arise from our methods of economic and government practices. They're not controlled by any higher power.

Pretty much this. Earth isn't perfect like Heaven. It has bonds, that's not the best word but eh, with sin, that's why such things can exist.
      [CENTER][SIZE=4]♥[/SIZE][SIZE=3]♠[/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=2]♣[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=3][SIZE=1]♦[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE=3][SIZE=1]♦[/SIZE][SIZE=2]♣[/SIZE]♠[/SIZE][SIZE=4]♥[/SIZE]

Nick and Kris on Skype. wrote:

[7:16:21 PM] Nick: kris, i'm martha stewart.
      [7:18:37 PM] Kris: oh really? lol
      [7:18:43 PM] Kris: how was prison?
      [7:18:47 PM] Nick: hot.
      [/CENTER]

Lukla did a nice job of explaining that just because everything isn't perfect doesn't mean there isn't a God.

I'll just leave you with a little question that opens most people's eyes.

In science, the accepted law is the "Law of Conservation of Mass".
      Mass cannot be created nor destroyed, although it may be rearranged in space and changed into different types of particles.

How then, is it possible for anything to exist?
      Something had to create everything to begin with.
      All the matter in the universe was at one point "created".

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

You have a wide array of people who believe in God, and not all of them believe that God is "good" or that God even cares about humans, such as in the case of Deism. Many philosophers, such as Voltaire, believed in God; however, they didn't believe that God influenced everyday life. In the case of religions like Deism, God and disaster aren't inherently mutually exclusive. Simply put, God created the universe and left it. Deism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acne, cancer, etc. are all biological byproducts of our anatomy. Could God have created humans in a different manner? Possibly. Then again, if he created us in a manner contrary to our present biological functions, there may very well have been more potent and prevalent anomalies that would occur in our daily lives. In other words, even though God may have been capable of creating humans in another manner, the method in which he did create us and our biological functions would be the most efficient.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]ニンジャウォーリアーズ[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]-( The Ninja Warrior )-[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]My Internet Radio Guide[/SIZE][/LEFT]

The post was edited 2 times, last by NinjaGuy1337 ().

oompaloompas wrote:

Blah, blah, blah
      God does not exist.

Can you at least give us your reasoning behind that statement?
      Something logical at the least.

The post was edited 1 time, last by NinjaGuy1337 ().

NinjaGuy1337 wrote:

Can you at least give us your reasoning behind that statement?
      Something logical at the least.

Logically?

Ok. There's no proof for a good, no evidence even lending a meager amount of credit to his existence, so there's no rational reason to believe in him. I'm not saying I can prove that God does not exist, I'm saying that I can prove why you should not necessarily believe in him. It's not a matter of proving that there isn't a God, the burden of proof lies firmly on the believers.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

The fact that anything exists should be evidence enough that there is some "higher power" which created everything. If you're going to be scientific about it, how does existence exist? Lol.

Dr.Carter wrote:

Logically?

Ok. There's no proof for a good, no evidence even lending a meager amount of credit to his existence, so there's no rational reason to believe in him. I'm not saying I can prove that God does not exist, I'm saying that I can prove why you should not necessarily believe in him. It's not a matter of proving that there isn't a God, the burden of proof lies firmly on the believers.

Dr.Carter wrote:

Logically?

If you were in a small boat in the middle of the ocean, far, far from land, with mountainous seas towering over your head and every second seemed like an eternity, the chance of survival impossible and death seemed imminent....you'd call on Him. And that's a no-brainer.
      [SIZE=1][SIZE=1]But if God gains people through MY LIES, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? :cool: - Paul: Romans 3.7[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=1]What difference does it make, as long as in every way, whether in FALSEHOOD or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed? :wink: Paul. -Phil. 1:18[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

NinjaGuy1337 wrote:

The fact that anything exists should be evidence enough that there is some "higher power" which created everything. If you're going to be scientific about it, how does existence exist? Lol.

It's not proof, it's not even evidence. Just because we are here does not mean you automatically have to chalk it up to a higher power. All that does is create a circular train of thought. If God created us, who created God? etc.

No one knows how existence "exists", including all the people that will tell you that they do. But the lack of a complete theory does not mean you can just accept whatever else someone puts forward. Science's understanding of the universe is no where near definitive, but it's miles ahead of what religion has contributed to human understanding.

For instance, let's say you asked 2 people what the square root of 5 was. Person A might tell you that it will take some time to figure out and we might know in our life time, whereas Person B will tell you it's 2. Just because Person A doesn't have any answer, does not automatically make Person B right. It's a crude analogy, but you get the bottom line, I hope.

Sababah wrote:

If you were in a small boat in the middle of the ocean, far, far from land, with mountainous seas towering over your head and every second seemed like an eternity, the chance of survival impossible and death seemed imminent....you'd call on Him. And that's a no-brainer.

No, I wouldn't. But if it makes you feel better to know that your spiritual beliefs are a result of desperation, then far be it from me to tell you otherwise.
      [CENTER]"Young King, pay me in gold."
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

NinjaGuy1337 wrote:

That's not evidence, that's just a belief. There is no tangible evidence proving the existence of God.

Sababah wrote:

I wouldn't.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Exactly...war is not God's doing...it's mans.

And, regarding Christian beliefs, god stated that he would give us free will, and after the flood and Noah's Ark he would not interfere like he did that time.

And there have been some theories that intertwine God and the Big Bang...but still thinking about it...they are all theories.

You can't prove the Big Bang...You can't prove God...pretty much every theory to our existence cannot be proven.
      [SIZE=4][SIZE=3]They see me trollin'...they hatin'... Moderatin'...Tryna catch me writin dirty.[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

T-Pain wrote:

Exactly...war is not God's doing...it's mans.

And, regarding Christian beliefs, god stated that he would give us free will, and after the flood and Noah's Ark he would not interfere like he did that time.

And there have been some theories that intertwine God and the Big Bang...but still thinking about it...they are all theories.

You can't prove the Big Bang...You can't prove God...pretty much every theory to our existence cannot be proven.
      The big bang has been proven, at least in the scientific aspect of what being "proven" entails.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

The big bang has been proven, at least in the scientific aspect of what being "proven" entails.

Yeah, but then you have to ask what created all the matter which was involved in the big bang. I say a God.

NinjaGuy1337 wrote:

Yeah, but then you have to ask what created all the matter which was involved in the big bang. I say a God.
      That may be. Except we don't know what existed (or didn't exist) before the big bang. The big bang isn't necessarily the creation of matter and energy; it's what caused the universe to expand.

What created God?
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]