Afraid of the darkness (serious)

• Afraid of the darkness (serious)

Hi, Im 16 (guy) and I'm afraid of the darkness.
      Unlike others, well maybe some people, I imagine Gore.
      I don't think about the unknown, I imagine it myself.
      I'm hurting myself but I can't control it.
      I always imagine little corpse-like girls walking down the house halls,
      a corpse sitting next to me when Im not looking, The bathroom door scares me if it's open for I fear the bath will be filled with blood and a girl (again) will be soaked there dead. For some reason girls make me scared the most.

I try to avoid mirrors, Close doors, Turn on lights, Close the closet.

What tips can you give me to stop fear? I have a good imagination..really..

**Not only that I imagine those insane creatures I attach personality too**

Example : I once had a time when I imagined a Bottom less (literally) woman in her 40's, she is skinny and sort of 'dried', she crawls throughout the house with blood everywhere, she is alone, depressed, and she is sad of losing her relationship with her daughter.

THIS IS SOME SICK SH*T!! :confused::confused::confused::(:(
    • Re: Afraid of the darkness (serious)

Over-active imaginations be damned!
      I don't know what to suggest personally, however you've managed to create more than the normal fear of the dark which most people have. Perhaps you could consider talking to a councillor or therapist of some sort about it? If you've explained it to your parents then I'm sure they would want to help you to rest easy at night and could arrange for you to talk it over with a professional.
      [CENTER][COLOR="Green"]If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
      [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Oddly enough, this has happened to me, too.
      While I'm generally afraid of the dark and unknown, sometimes something horrible like a dead person besides my bed will creep up in my mind. Or some sort of monster screaming at me. Sometimes those of us with fears will imagine them creeping up.
      With me it's when I say "Oh I wouldn't be afraid if this were to happen" and then take it back, or 'I'd be freaked out if this happened' and sometimes my eyes play tricks on me and send my imagination into overdrive.
      Honestly, all I can say is maybe wear something to cover your eyes as you sleep, and have all the lights on? Or if you can sleep in partial darkness, have a nightlight and close your door. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and if anyone asks about it say it's for safety reasons (you sleepwalk and with a nightlight it's easier for you to know where you are when you wake up).
      Unfortunatly I don't know how to completely get rid of the fears, but I'm 18 and nearly have them. They may leave you but honestly, everyone has fears; some odder than others. You just learn to deal with it in your own way.
      [CENTER]R.I.P Captain Jack Sparrow, 13/3/09[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]You did it, beautiful.<3[/CENTER]
      formspring.me/Asperitas <- Don't be a fgt. It makes you look bad.
      [RIGHT]omygaga.tumblr.com/ <-Blog of godlike proportions.
      [/RIGHT]

Anon5677 wrote:

I'm not hallucinating, but sometimes I might hear things, but there is no CLEAR visible sign of any of those creatures.

And btw, I'm not afraid of dying. I know I won't, it's the belief they are there.

You're not hallucinating, that's a good sign. I'd say you have medium-to-severe nyctophobia (fear of the dark). You could see a therapist about this and they'll teach you some ways to deal with your anxiety, or you could try out anxiety medication. Although, you'll probably only be prescribed medication if your fear is hampering your every day life.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Aannddyy ().

^In relation to that; Anxiety medication does work in the case that I have. I don't get nearly as freaked out as I used to, even if I start thinking of horrible things. I can usually switch my brain off, then.
      [CENTER]R.I.P Captain Jack Sparrow, 13/3/09[/CENTER]
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]You did it, beautiful.<3[/CENTER]
      formspring.me/Asperitas <- Don't be a fgt. It makes you look bad.
      [RIGHT]omygaga.tumblr.com/ <-Blog of godlike proportions.
      [/RIGHT]

I have the same problem! Only maybe a little less severe. I too always imagine a dead girl dripping blood and crouching in the corner etc. I constantly have to turn my light on at night to reassure myself nothing's there, normally i just really try to ignore it... there's nothing i can really do.

Anon5677 wrote:

Hi, Im 16 (guy) and I'm afraid of the darkness.
      Unlike others, well maybe some people, I imagine Gore.
      I don't think about the unknown, I imagine it myself.
      I'm hurting myself but I can't control it.
      I always imagine little corpse-like girls walking down the house halls,
      a corpse sitting next to me when Im not looking, The bathroom door scares me if it's open for I fear the bath will be filled with blood and a girl (again) will be soaked there dead. For some reason girls make me scared the most. << THIS PART MADE ME 'LOL' IN REAL

I try to avoid mirrors, Close doors, Turn on lights, Close the closet.

What tips can you give me to stop fear? I have a good imagination..really..

**Not only that I imagine those insane creatures I attach personality too**

Example : I once had a time when I imagined a Bottom less (literally) woman in her 40's, she is skinny and sort of 'dried', she crawls throughout the house with blood everywhere, she is alone, depressed, and she is sad of losing her relationship with her daughter.

THIS IS SOME SICK SH*T!! :confused::confused::confused::(:(

well, because im evil and i tend to think of myself as immortal until proven wrong;

i embrace the dark (in an emotional way)
      and if any Christians or Catholics here start to scream "SATAN!!!" im gona laugh...

I mean it as controlling it, becoming it, having power above it.

two quotes i will live by forever:

"...Those who refuse to give up are entitled there time to trample upon the weak!" -Hellsing, Alucard.

"I walk through the vally of the shadow of death, i fear no evil for i am the baddest mother F***er in the vally." -idk, Eminem?
      [SIGPIC]http://www.thecommonage.net/mandala.gif[/SIGPIC]
      The living may not hear them; Their voices may fall upon deaf ears. But make no mistake; The dead are not silent. My Skype: Alaestor My TeamSpeak3: ts3.FutureGadgetLab.net

I used to have an imagination like that when I was younger. Not that I pictured anything specific, I was just a little paranoid and didn't like mirrors in the dark.

I just forced myself to deal with it and eventually got over it. While I was trying to sleep I'd sing the chorus of a particular song over and over again in my head with kind of a happy little music video to picture along with it. If you can calm your mind enough, it just becomes habit and you're asleep before you know it. :)

If you think you're too paranoid or it's going to interfere with your life in any way, do what Andy suggested -- see a therapist.

This is very common. At least I hope it is, because I am very much the same.

I don't really know how to help lots, unfortunately. I still have to get people to turn the bathroom lights on for me (bathrooms are the worst for me).

When I was a kid my dad told me that nothing can hurt me if I'm under my doona (or blanket, whatever you want) and I still like to believe this. I know that all the things I imagine are in my head, so I figure that even though my doona may not protect me in a real attack, it will sure as hell protect me from all the stuff I think of.

Night lights are a great thing, too. I also have a touch lamp, so when I get scared I can just hit it and look around.