So I just bought a MacBook Pro...

• So I just bought a MacBook Pro...

And I need some suggestions and software recommendations. Anything that is essential to life on a Mac, plain cool, or helpful, let me know about it! The main thing I haven't found yet is a decent, free, code editor. I think I've tried everything there is and the only one that remotely worked was Editra but I hated the interface and how it felt.

I tried TextWrangler but the most important feature of it, FTP editing, didn't work. I also don't want it to be a huge IDE either; something relatively small and lightweight but still rich and powerful. I'm used to phpDesigner on Windows which was a little bloated but had amazing features that really helped (code completion, smart tabbing, FTP, et cetera).

Get those recommendations coming...
    • Re: So I just bought a MacBook Pro...

Hi Steven :drool:

K let's see...

** <---Denotes "non free" software but we all know there's a way to make it free lololol.

The Unarchiver for opening RAR, 7z, EXE files as archives, etc.
      Coda** for coding (although I usually just use Dreamweaver)
      App Zapper** - Basically like the Mac version of CCleaner...cleans up trails left behind after uninstalling programs.
      Little Snitch** - Read more about what it does, and you're start to understand why it's useful tee hee. Just a hint: Adobe hates this.
      KisMAC - Crack WiFi networks :D
      Xee image viewer - I like it because it can play back animooted GIFs, unlike the default Preview.app.

You may also want to get the NTFS-3G drivers so your Mac can write to NTFS formatted disks, but just as a heads up it can be finnickey and I was never able to get it working on mine.

;)

Free

VLC: To play other video codecs
      Caffeine: to let your mac screen not dim
      Onyx: system cleaner
      Adium:Multi chat client
      Gabtastik: Facebook chat with out the whole browser
      Smcfancontrol: trust me it's a life saver, it keeps your mac cool when running flash videos at HD. Tust me macs hate flash , i set mine at 2650.
      Facebook notifications
      Growl: Notification software
      Quicksliver: Spotlight on steroids
      TweetDeck: Twitter client
      Ialertu: some people try and steal your shit, it automatically turns on the isght cam and snaps a picture and sends it to your email.
      Loginox: changes your login picture
      Transmission: Torrent client, it's amazing ;)

Paid, there are ways ;)

Socalite: its amazing just check it out
      I Work 09: College work flow....
      Notebook: For taking notes
      Microsoft office 08: same as office on the pc
      vallenagphotography.wordpress.com/ [MacBook Pro 13/ 2.4GHz Intel Core 2Duo/4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM/ NVIDIA GeForce 320M] [Nikon D7K with 18-55VR]newest photos flickr.com/Vallenagphotography

The post was edited 4 times, last by Vallen.J ().

All great suggestions so far.

check out these webpages I found them super useful when my Mac first arrived

100 Free Useful Mac Applications (Part I)
      100 Free Useful Mac Applications (Part II)
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

moot wrote:

I had a MacBook Pro for about 2 years, but I sold it 'cuz I needed the money.

I think I'll save for a few more months and then get one around Christmas when they have online sales. :D

This is what I plan on doing
      [LEFT][COLOR="Black"]“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”[/COLOR][/LEFT]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"][RIGHT]Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore - Just chillin' out down here at Kings Cross Station y'all! It's a bit foggy though... what's up with that?[/RIGHT][/COLOR]
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Vallen.J wrote:

Pro is so much better! especially if your doing photography or video editing.

Yes. Although it really depends on that you plan to do with the Macbook Pro. If you are like me who only really uses a computer for only basic tasks and a bit of programming, then a white Macbook is fine. That is what I plan to get when I can generate an income (although I would like a Macbook Pro, because the white Macbook looks a bit ugly when compared to the Pro).
      But it the almighty RMG plans to do some Photoshop and all that other stuff, then a Macbook Pro is better.

I plan on using mine for my music recording/ composing/ editing/ mixing/ mastering and a little bit of video editing- on the go. I think anything less then the i7 macbook would feel clumsy doing this compare to my iMac and i'd get frustrated.

lol so I plan on doing a lot of saving... and there's no chance getting my parents to help pay for it... they payed for half of my iMac
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

Funny thing is, apart from the screen size and hard drive size the only real difference between my iMac and the macbook I plan on getting is that the iMac has a slightly better graphics card... Not too shabby :D :p
      [CENTER][/CENTER]

rmg132 wrote:

If you check out these benchmarks: Mac Benchmarks you'll see that the dual-core i7 in the MacBook Pro is beat by the Core i3, i5, and i7 iMacs, which makes since because the latter are desktop processors and the former is a mobile processor. So the iMac is just faster all around. ;)

Yeh I realise that :p... But to the untrained eye who doesn't realise they are different types of processors it seems like that and that makes me look awesome... and lets face it, that's one of the primary benefits of owning a mac :D
      [CENTER][/CENTER]