How can I get over my fear of joining the wrestling team?

• How can I get over my fear of joining the wrestling team?

I was on the wrestling team for about 5 months before I quit about a year ago. I went to camp, trained with the toughest, ran 8 miles, etc. At that time, I never thought about it, I just did it, but camp made me realize I was upset.

I've been fat all my life and here I was doing the hardest training of my life. The easy solution was to just stop and go back to a life of laziness, and that's what I did. It's a year later and I want to get in shape. But I'm terrified of rejoining the wrestling team. I quit one already and am afraid that I won't be able to handle it and quit again. I never made it to conditioning, I quit pre-season during late august right after intense camp.

Can someone help me get over my fear of conditioning in the wrestling team? It was to the point where I was depressed before practice because I knew I would have to push myself beyond comfort. I would have to try 110% every single time.
    • Re: How can I get over my fear of joining the wrestling team?

I don't know how to help you get over your fear of conditioning. But I can tell you that not joining the wrestling team is going to be one of the biggest regrets of your life. I had to deal with the same problem; I wanted to join the wrestling team, but my parents didn't want me to because they were too overprotective. I disobeyed them for two practices, but then I quit half because I wouldn't be able to get them to sign the papers, but half out of my own laziness to try. It's something that I regret greatly, not being able to be part of the brother hood that was our wrestling team and missing out on being so much stronger and physically comfortable than before.

With wrestling, you'll easily reach the top of your physical ability, and it'll test you mentally as well. If you sacrifice some pain now, the gain you will gain by next year will make you happier than before. And you'll prolly like working out so much that it won't really pain you to do it, it'll just be a challenge you enjoy.

Diamons wrote:

I was on the wrestling team for about 5 months before I quit about a year ago. I went to camp, trained with the toughest, ran 8 miles, etc. At that time, I never thought about it, I just did it, but camp made me realize I was upset.

I've been fat all my life and here I was doing the hardest training of my life. The easy solution was to just stop and go back to a life of laziness, and that's what I did. It's a year later and I want to get in shape. But I'm terrified of rejoining the wrestling team. I quit one already and am afraid that I won't be able to handle it and quit again. I never made it to conditioning, I quit pre-season during late august right after intense camp.

Can someone help me get over my fear of conditioning in the wrestling team? It was to the point where I was depressed before practice because I knew I would have to push myself beyond comfort. I would have to try 110% every single time.

go for it. life is short, and you can't live unless you take risks. its a freekin wrestling team, i dont join cuz i dont like wearing the stupid outfits, but you should just go for it. WWWHOOO CCCAARREES

u want to be lazy? then be lazy; AFTER YOU TRY OUT
      [SIGPIC]http://www.thecommonage.net/mandala.gif[/SIGPIC]
      The living may not hear them; Their voices may fall upon deaf ears. But make no mistake; The dead are not silent. My Skype: Alaestor My TeamSpeak3: ts3.FutureGadgetLab.net

Make your mind to think that you have only a single way to go and i.e., your camp. If you really want to join the camp just go and just try to do your best. if you are facing problem in any hard work or any exercise, than try to be perfect at that task. you must prepare yourself mentally and physically for that camp and then you should join the camp.

Me and my group always play with danger, mostly we just spend nearly one to two months in hospital from 12 months. but we never thinks to leave our profession.
      Because For a Racer, A story is there.
      No matter How powerfull your car is, but the matter is How you Drive to win the Race.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Do you like wrestling? Do you want to learn?
      Remember that pain and fatigue are temporary. Pain is just pain.
      You will feel your muscles burning and you will be freaking tired, but so what?
      The benefits you get from wrestling will far outweigh the costs.

This kinda happened to me too with MMA. However, when I felt like not going I would just tell myself to not be a coward and go to training, and it paid off, I learned a lot.

My advice to you is pretty much :JUST GO.

Forget everything else bro. Forget that you are going to have a hard time, forget that it hurts, forget that you quit, just go in there and give it your all every day, and have fun wrestling.
      Hello JC - Cade

Just join, it's fun and for all sizes. There's different criteria I suppose, like lightweight and stuff and you'll be wrestling people you're own size. Plus wrestling will help you get into shape, you'll enjoy it a lot. Just don't quit no matter how much you think people are like "Oh look at that kid" or anything because there are gonna be LOTS of people your size on the team.

I use to wrestle :P

Diamons wrote:

well seems to me that you're not scared of joining, just scared of the intense training. in which case, you should force your self to go. i am probably, no, i AM the weakest person in the whole class, and took body shop. i can't even bench press the bar alone... (which weighs 45lb) i can barely lift 40 pounds in leg curls, where some of my classmates can easily lift the maximum, 150 pounds in leg curls. i can barely work with 10-15 pounds of dumbbells where others work out with 50-60 pounds of dumbbells. but one of the people i know there, a new friend, told me that last year, when he joined, he could barely bench the bar alone (which is 45 pounds) and now, he benches with 90 lb weights on each side. so really, don't be scared, its going to be tough, take that from me, but keep your eyes on the prize. as a wise man once said, shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll be among the stars.
      Welcome to the world; welcome to the biggest Mindfuck of your life

The post was edited 2 times, last by theunknownwonder ().