Procrastination/General Lazyness

• Procrastination/General Lazyness

So yesh,
      I cant seem to do work...
      For example right now i know plenty of things i could be doing more productive than doing those stupid quizzes and feeling bored, but i cant bring myself to do them...
      I do this a lot and it's why im so behind in my art work and i dont do any of my homeworks till im in school and have some time before class.
      Any tips to beat procrastonation?
    • Re: Procrastination/General Lazyness

Really, the only effective way, for myself, is to focus on the consequences of procrastination. I know that if I get behind on my schoolwork, there will be some point in time where either:

1. I am so overwhelmed and stressed when I get around to doing the massive piles of work I have built up, and I'll feel sick and miserable from all of the stress

or:
      2. You'll end up failing classes and will still be miserable as you desperately attempt to finish all the work you never did and try to bring your grade up to the bare minimum passing grade, which makes you feel like a lackadaisical failure

That's really the only way that works for me and it's still hard. It's much easier to spread your homework out over a course of time in a way that will allow you to finish it while still having leisure time every day instead of making every minute of the day leisure time and then work for endless hours straight at the end of each week or month in an attempt to finish the work.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

i have the same problem, and it's caused me to get much lower grades than i would generally have received throughout school. i'm a junior and i still haven't came to the point of implementing effort into school, and that may fuck me over in the future. i have a hard time curing this when it comes to anything. and the only actual solution is realizing how it can affect you later in life or finding some form of motivation.

As Nike says: Just do it.

The bad thing about motivation is that there is NOBODY in the world that can motivate you if you don't want to be. Personally, I set certain ground rules for myself. Like if I have any kind of assignment due within three days, I forbid myself from even turning on MSN messenger, because it's a huge time-waster for me. It might not be a bad idea if you try to do things similar. Take away the things that eat up most of your time if they are preventing you from doing what you know you should be.

Still, you need to want it.

Treebark2268 wrote:

I did like 3/8ths of my HW in highschool, Im still going to college, fuck work is waht I say.. Do waht u like, not bs

Yeah and then when you have a job and responsibilities, who gives a shit about them? It's not like you actually have to do them.
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

artizhay wrote:

Yeah and then when you have a job and responsibilities, who gives a shit about them? It's not like you actually have to do them.

Not when you do what you enjoy doing.. If I don't land a career I like, I'll just work a desk job and do my job half-assed like the majority of this country..

**Edit When I did work, I worked my ass off.. I don't like disappointing people, I just hate school work**

zinggg..
      "I'm gods lonely man"

artizhay wrote:

That's the way to live, bro. Half-assed. Like a worthless human. Just how I like 'em.

Man I think you can be chill, but a lot of the time your pretty fucking elitist... he actually has a great point. If being anal as fuck about everything you do, awesome.. you might have some small bearing on how the world works, people doing what they want to do to try and live a good life doesn't make them any worse than you though.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

See it's alright saying like "Yeah just turn off this and that and just do it" but when I'm sitting thinking to myself "Why should i get this done? I could just stay on the computer and I know i wont get punished for not doing it".
      Im starting to think it's cause my teachers arent as strict as they should be, which sounds like I'm trying to pass the blame. I guess I'm just quite lucky, I get away with things pretty easily and barely have to face the conciquences...
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

I was such a procrastinator when I was in high school.. I used to leave everything for the last minute and then get all stressed out, pull all-nighters and shit like that.. somehow I managed to keep my grades up but I realize it would have been much easier for me if I would've just studied at the right time... anyway I've decided to change this ... :D
      School work can be really boring and it's very easy to get distracted from it... I suppose in order to avoid procrastination you should make a schedule and get some rules... like don't turn on the computer until you've finished homework or studying or whatever...
      It's quite hard to change a habit like this but it's not impossible.. if you really want it you can do it .... I think that the first step is realizing that it is a problem ... so you're on the right track... anyways you shouldn't want to change because of some potential punishment.. but because it would make your life easier and it will help later in life too... when you'll deal with real problems... :)
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

Mr. Frazer wrote:

Im starting to think it's cause my teachers arent as strict as they should be, which sounds like I'm trying to pass the blame. I guess I'm just quite lucky, I get away with things pretty easily and barely have to face the conciquences...

I don't think it's passing the blame at all. I don't know how similar our school systems are but I know in high school here the school division was saying they're trying to work away from "attitude" marks etc. - essentially, it doesn't matter if you're late. If you're not being punished for procrastination you'll keep doing it, and it makes the habit that much harder to break.

The best way I find is to work in spurts (even just 10 minutes or so). Get a lot done in a short amount of time and then reward yourself afterwards.

When my friend has things that are due the next day she has me log into her facebook account and change her password. Depends on what's distracting you, but if it's something like that you could ask someone you trust to do the same thing.

I have serious procrastination problems, and I especially realized this towards the end of high school. Making schedules never worked for me at all. In fact, it just depressed me making a schedule because usually I would never end up following it and I would have even less done and I'd have to make a whole new schedule for the next day.

What I decided to do was sit down with everything I need to be doing and start on it. However little you do, just start doing what you should be doing. Then, when you feel like it, take a break. Try not to take a 5 hour long break, and as soon as you're done with break time, start again. The fact that I had already started what I set out to do really helped because I knew that I was almost done, or that I had at least started, and so I knew I had to finish. That kind of motivated me to complete whatever it is that I was doing.