Parents don't understand. :/

• Re: Parents don't understand. :/

I can't really help you till you ask them. If they tell you no and give a reason, I could help you with ways to negotiate with them. But otherwise, you don't know they'll say no till you ask. They might be proud of you for asking instead of just doing it without permission. Just ask politely and say you really would like to get one and that you would appreciate their approval. Make sure you have a somewhat solid reason - not "it looks cool" - and definitely don't use the argument that "everyone has one."
      Golden Enterprises, Inc. - CEO
      Iconiplex, LLC - Managing Member
      Emerald Summit Capital Group, LLC - President

When you see a dude with an earring, be it on TV or on the street, point it out to your parents and say that you think its cool. See their reaction. Then based on it say that you like it and you are thinking you might wanna get...MAYBE. This way they wont freak out at you wanting it because its a maybe and you can see whether or not they are trying to talk you out of it and whether they are totally against it on not.
      The King of Mind-Fuck

Ashique wrote:

i really dont think its worth it. besides, your're a guy, i dont see a point for boys to get piercings and earrings on them.
      its just me. others might have different opinions. i dont have any piercings at all.

yeah. I do agree. there's no really a point at all that i swear i would never ever feel like having one. moreover, there are also some people who have it at the wrong parts which consequently annoys them later (you better consider this also) but, still, if you are really into this, please do have a good reason other than just trying

I believe that if your living in their house, under their care.. you have to fallow their wishes.
      I was talking to a girl who wanted to get her mom to sign for her to have her belly button pierced and I told her the same, just respect your parents wishes, they aren't saying no because they want to be mean, a lot of people get infections, and i'm sure they don't want you to go through that pain
      (My moms belly button turned BLACK.. just 2 years ago)
      Maybe they think you're not responsible enough to keep it clean, and care for it.
      What if you offer to pay for it?
      Either way you don't NEED it (like you mentioned)

People will always talk about you
      Might as well give them something to talk about

To be honest i'd say 16 or over is the age to be deciding on things like this by yourself. Over here people have piercings without consent after 16, and that seems the right age to me.
      I think a lot of parents are the same when it comes to fashion, they never seem to see that these things are popular today, but are they actually stopping you though? Or maybe they are telling you their opinions on it, but in the typical judgey way that parents show it as.
      I just got my nose done, and my dad hates piercings, but he always leaves it down to me because i am old enough, just like i'; say you are.
      I know that you are within somewhat rules with living under their roof, but i think that fairly you should be entitled to having something you really want on your own consent, if you are old enough. It would seem unfair for a parent to stop their almost adult son or daughter having something done because technically you wanting piercings is your own preference, your own body. Freedom is given for me all the time and whatever i decide to have done outside the house isn't stopped. If it comes to it where they would have to sign, then it's understandable to respect them not wanting to.
      Having said that parents wont always sign because they cannot stand whatever it is their son or daughter is getting, which i'd say is unfair as its that teens body.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Fashion ().

SugarLips wrote:

I believe that if your living in their house, under their care.. you have to fallow their wishes.
      I was talking to a girl who wanted to get her mom to sign for her to have her belly button pierced and I told her the same, just respect your parents wishes, they aren't saying no because they want to be mean, a lot of people get infections, and i'm sure they don't want you to go through that pain
      (My moms belly button turned BLACK.. just 2 years ago)
      Maybe they think you're not responsible enough to keep it clean, and care for it.
      What if you offer to pay for it?
      Either way you don't NEED it (like you mentioned)

I dunno if thats right.
      Yes I do agree, one must respect their parents but it is not like the parents are doing him a "favor" by "letting" him live there. Simply because he was exactly given a choice when brought into this world....Because a scenario of "ok, we gave birth to you due to our decision, now do what we tell you" no thanks?
      I, by all means, am NOT saying that THEY owe HIM but I do not agree with the fact they HE automatically owes THEM. Nor am I saying that him doing things for his parents is a favor too. What I AM saying is that family (imo) should function on mutual respect. If he wants to make a fashion statement, it is not exactly a life altering decision and parents should not freak out over something like this just because they dont like it. This is the same as say your parents telling you that you should listen to Jazz instead of Bues or vice-versa just because they approve of Jazz music and then it automatically makes it good. If decisions like clothes are made for him, especially unimportant ones LIKE clothes, he will never be able to grow....
      Just my opinion.
      The King of Mind-Fuck