antidepressants?

• antidepressants?

Anyone here on them, do they work? I've refused to take drugs that fuck with your head, made by the pharmaceutical industry.. But I'm sick of constantly being depressed, this year marks the 5th year of my dads unfortunate death following a nasty divorce, yaddy yaddy yada.. And I've been depressed on and off ever since.. When I did have counseling , after I quit half a year ago, they'd offer me that shit.. I'd refuse, but enough is enough, does this shit work? thanks
      "I'm gods lonely man"
    • Re: antidepressants?

Heather wrote:

I was on citalopram last summer, and they worked for me. I still wish I was taking them, somedays I feel like I'd be better off on them. Occasionally you'll get some side effects, but they're generally not too bad at all.

I probably should of taken them a few years ago, but I'm just really bummed out.. Well I have been for years, I think its time.. I just dont wanna go to therapy, do you ahve to for anti depresants?
      "I'm gods lonely man"

I can understand why you're feeling this way over them as it took me months to finally allow myself to start on them. I was too worried about the side effects and how they may affect my mind if they weren't to work etc etc. I was generally worried about the hastle i may possibly have had if having to change brand etc. However once i began taking them i was surprised how little effect i had from them as a side effect, and after taking them for a couple of months i could very much tell how different i was. In my experience they've reduced my morning nerves that i used to have whenever i got up early to go out somewhere. They also made me feel twice as calm whereas everything seemed to cause so much nervous feeling inside and anxiety before going anywhere. But this isn't all they do, so there's many differences when taking anti depressants. If you're frequently suffering from high levels of depression and/or anxiety, then these should definitely reduce it all by at least half. I still have moments where i am feeling unable to cope with my depression, however it's definitely nothing compared to what it was before i started the medication. They won't cause any issues, and if they do you'd soon be put onto another brand which suits you. If you're talking to anybody or the doctor is aware of your issues, i'd definitely suggest mentioning them. I'm on Sertraline; my doctor said he would recommend these anyday.

They're probably not the easiest of things to come off, but which medication is?
      I remember coming off mine once and the effects of doing so were just terrible, but it was probably my own fault for not reducing it slowly.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Fashion ().

I am on anti-depressants. I have been for almost two years. They really work for me. I have taken myself off them before, but it was bad. As long as I take them like I am meant to, I can deal with things way better.
      I love them, really. I'm not addicted, I know that, but they're truly amazing. They've helped me lots.

I didn't have to go through therapy to get them. I went to my GP after many failed therapy sessions.

I don't see why anyone would be ashamed of it. If a diabetic was prescribed insulin they wouldn't be ashamed. It's the same thing. Just some stuff to help set a chemical imbalance in your body right.

I have mad amounts of anxiety, damn I probably should take these..

I used to think "ahh weed is my natural anti-depressant" when in reality, it isn't.. If I smoke now, its before I sleep.. Only because it gives me amazing rest, like taking niquil.. Deep sleep..

I just don't want to admit I'm depressed, its my own ignorance.. 5 years ago when shit hit the fan, i just bottled it up (I still do).. Its been 5years since I last cried.. I tried to cry, it just does'nt work.. I tear up thats it.. Its fucked up
      "I'm gods lonely man"

Yes I have been on them for serious issues and also took them on many occasions to get high. I personally now believe that they are a quick solution to a problem. A quick solution is often the worse solution, and this is also the case here. Doctors are so quick to chuck pills at people these days but this is merely a mask, a blanket to cover a problem. It is not so different from somebody who is depressed going out and buying illegal drugs to self medicate, either heroin, valium, weed whatever, here it is not the drug that is the principle, it is the notion of using A DRUG to cover up a problem.
      Sure use them whilst having therapy, but it is not a long term or suitable solution in my opinion. Go and get therapy, meditate these 2 solutions are actually more beneficial, proven to work and do not cloud your mind with substances
      ''there is no way to peace, peace is the way''

There's nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants. They can really help someone if you find the right one, and taken correctly. I personally had the same thoughts on the subject, thinking I shouldn't need drugs to get my life together and to feel happy. But really, what's the harm if it makes you feel normal again?

There are other options out there as well, such as natural anti depressants you can get at stores. I tried these, and for a while they worked. It could be an alternative for you if you really don't want to take the kind from pharmaceutical.

Have you tried these options?
      teenhut.net/depression-self-ha…nt-treatment-methods.html

But if you're willing to try anti depressants, just try them to see if they'd work for you, there is no shame in taking them. If you're really fed up with being depressed, what's the harm in just trying?
      [LEFT][SIZE=2]"Adapt and Overcome"[/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [RIGHT]"Funny how the truth sounds so cliche"[/RIGHT]
      [RIGHT]~Jack Ingram[/RIGHT]
      [CENTER]
      [SIZE=1][/SIZE][/CENTER]

I personally had the same thoughts on the subject, thinking I shouldn't need drugs to get my life together and to feel happy. But really, what's the harm if it makes you feel normal again?

Addiction/dependency, not dealing with the problem but covering it up in a hazy cloud so it can resurface later in life, and it is not being normal again really is it. If you take a drug it changes the chemical balance of your brain, the best way to deal with a problem is to get to the root of it, not merely sweep it under the rug or cover it up because then it doesn't actually go away
      ''there is no way to peace, peace is the way''

I've been depressed most of my life, gladly I managed to deal with it without drugs, get a hobby, be passionate about it, make yourself do exercise, you really have to try and get out of where you are, it will seem hard at first, but just exercising will release a good dose of hormones in your brain, making you feel better.

Don't take antidepressants, any form of pill is loaded with things most haven't heard about.