Foreign Policy: Ideology or Pragmatism?

• Foreign Policy: Ideology or Pragmatism?

This is a question that has been dogging my mind for quite a while now, especially in light of recent gestures of Western governments to 'reset relations' with previous rivals. In dealing with, let's say, a dictatorship, how much should a democratic government open up to it in order to build a productive relationship, and how much should it shun the dictatorship so as to not be complicit with the regime's crimes?
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]
    • Re: Foreign Policy: Ideology or Pragmatism?

It's tough—I think a wholly pragmatic foreign policy runs the risk of losing perspective and putting economic gain ahead of all other causes. Governments need some sort of set of ideals to work towards and base ethics decisions on. Economic sanctions are one of the most powerful tools in diplomatic relations.

Esmo wrote:

This is a question that has been dogging my mind for quite a while now, especially in light of recent gestures of Western governments to 'reset relations' with previous rivals. In dealing with, let's say, a dictatorship, how much should a democratic government open up to it in order to build a productive relationship, and how much should it shun the dictatorship so as to not be complicit with the regime's crimes?

Ideology & Pragmatism are big impressive words but don't encompass the reality on the ground. The U.S. has a real life policy of 110% support for dictatorships. The entire middle east is a haven for U.S. puppets. Nowhere else will you find such oppressive police states. Even Hollywood can't match their evilness. And they are all puppet states propped up by the U.S. And to a lesser extent similar is found in latin & south amerika. When their minerals etc are needed the dictatorships will be wound up to the max to exploit the situation.

Ideology & pragmatism are words that have no relevance beyond educational campuses.
      [SIZE=1][SIZE=1]But if God gains people through MY LIES, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? :cool: - Paul: Romans 3.7[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=1]What difference does it make, as long as in every way, whether in FALSEHOOD or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed? :wink: Paul. -Phil. 1:18[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

Sababah wrote:

Ideology & Pragmatism are big impressive words but don't encompass the reality on the ground. The U.S. has a real life policy of 110% support for dictatorships. The entire middle east is a haven for U.S. puppets. Nowhere else will you find such oppressive police states. Even Hollywood can't match their evilness. And they are all puppet states propped up by the U.S. And to a lesser extent similar is found in latin & south amerika. When their minerals etc are needed the dictatorships will be wound up to the max to exploit the situation.

Ideology & pragmatism are words that have no relevance beyond educational campuses.

In which case, is not the US's policy pragmatic, in that they are supporting regimes regardless of the idelogical gap?
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

Esmo wrote:

In which case, is not the US's policy pragmatic, in that they are supporting regimes regardless of the idelogical gap?

Pragmatic is too intellectual. It dilutes the situation. Pragmatic comes across as a bit of give & take. A bit of this and that. The U.S. has gone way beyond that.

To use pragmatic to describe Amerika is like saying Charles Manson was a bit naughty at times.
      [SIZE=1][SIZE=1]But if God gains people through MY LIES, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? :cool: - Paul: Romans 3.7[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=1]What difference does it make, as long as in every way, whether in FALSEHOOD or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed? :wink: Paul. -Phil. 1:18[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

The United States' is all about ideology. They've had a ridiculous embargo with Cuba for five decades because of the Cold War, which ended 20 years ago. It's impractical and immature. Pragmatism is the most logical way to advance as the world moves increasingly further away from ideological extremes and towards the amalgamation of all sorts of right wing, left wing, authoritarian and libertarian policies.

Lift all embargoes, especially Cuba, so us amercians can enjoy their fine tobacco.. AND Castro recently admited that communism wasn't working.. Honestly, I think peace IS the answer, except with Iran and NK.. Both are tyrannies and both are attempting to posess nuclear weapons and wont yield to nuclear regulatin
      "I'm gods lonely man"