Concerning Religion

• Concerning Religion

Lately I've been watching educated debates about religion, been reading books, and discussing religion with friends. I'm still just as much of an atheist as a I ever was, if not more so. So I want to start a real discussion about it, not a petty argument like in the other threads. I don't have the time at the moment, however if anyone (preferably religious side) would like to start this off with an educated point (on the same level as William Lane Craig or Christopher Hitchens), I would love to hear it. And then crush it.

Let us begin...

Peace & Love
    • Re: Concerning Religion

Slyguy7 wrote:

I would love to hear it. And then crush it.
      That precise mindset tells me this "debate" is going to be nothing more than that "petty argument" you wanted to avoid.

Don't go into a debate under the delusion that you'll be able to simply obliterate any argument thrown at you. I can promise that it won't end well on your part.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LuklaAdvocate wrote:

That precise mindset tells me this "debate" is going to be nothing more than that "petty argument" you wanted to avoid.

Don't go into a debate under the delusion that you'll be able to simply obliterate any argument thrown at you. I can promise that it won't end well on your part.
      Wow, we actually, completely agree on something.

~Maggot
      [size=3]Oh! why is phrensy called a curse?
      I deem the sense of misery worse:
      Come, Madness, come!
      [/size]

Slyguy7 wrote:

I won't simply crush it, I will do it eloquently (I hope) and use reason, therefore avoiding petty argumentation.

Take. That. :drink:

No offense and I'm not trying to be critical but umm you couldn't have just replied in a religious thread already in existence. Just saying and also you come off a little cocky. That could piss a few people off.
      [SIZE=4]

Jesus Christ;1624368 wrote:

Dresden, You want to prove that you are better than a non white person? Get the fuck out of your mom's basement, go outside, get a job and make your life worth something.
      [/SIZE]

This thread sounds like it'll end up being just like the 1,456,389,992,130 others already made.

Poster 1: hurr since i cant see a god, that meanz he cleary duznt exist durr.
      Poster 2: hurr that's where faith comez in...jus cuz u cant see him doesnt mean he doesnt exist durr.
      Poster 1: hurr science.
      Poster 2: hurr faith durr.
      Poster 1: lol faith.
      Poster 2: lol science.
      Poster 1: duuuuuurrrrrr
      Poster 2: huuurrrrrrrrr

Yep.

God to me is not real. People go to church and pray their hearts out daily for god help and god ignores them. Have you ever had all your hope's , wishes , everything that your hearts disires crushed everytime. You ask god to help you, you go into job interviews and get rejected time and time again. You fall in love with some one time and time again over the years you ask god for help, you get rejected time and time again. Some people get everything they dreamed of and others get nothing. If god was real then why do people put all their effort into praying to god only to be rejected time and time again. Thats why god is not real to me. I have cryed over god to many times.

mrwolf wrote:

God to me is not real. People go to church and pray their hearts out daily for god help and god ignores them. Have you ever had all your hope's , wishes , everything that your hearts disires crushed everytime. You ask god to help you, you go into job interviews and get rejected time and time again. You fall in love with some one time and time again over the years you ask god for help, you get rejected time and time again. Some people get everything they dreamed of and others get nothing. If god was real then why do people put all their effort into praying to god only to be rejected time and time again. Thats why god is not real to me. I have cryed over god to many times.

Lol are you a member in the Orthodox Church?
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

there is no point going into an argument to try and convince someone to think of your way of thinking, all debating does is make each person more determined to prove that they are right.

if people all believed the same thing then we would not progress as a species, that goes for each sides of the argument. people who believe in god cannot prove that he exists because faith is like love, you cant explain fully what love is, to someone who is not in love, and likewise with people of science cant disprove god because, well how can you?? its absolutely impossible, he is not of this realm of existence and even people who do believe in god cannot understand god fully. yes bad things happen, but wouldnt life be sooo boring if we got everything we wanted, no one would fight for what they believe in, we would not have advances in science, technology, even our own morality if we were just given what we wanted. what i can never understand is atheists overwhelming desire to disprove god, why should it matter to you?? if people of various religions tried to convert an atheist to that religion ye would call that person ignorant. well are atheists not doing the same thing?? some atheists are ok though, they just dont care at all about any religion and respect every set of beliefs, but why are soo many obsessed with trying to disprove god.
      im not going to try and prove that god exists because i cant, no person on earth can. nor can he be disproved.
      you say you dont want a "petty argument" from the word go you are being petty, you are like "i am right, i know i am right, i will not open my mind to any other way of thinking" thats just childish and very ignorant. at least the majority of modern day christains and other religious people are open to a new ideas and respect other religions. (ofcourse i know that there are far too many religious people who are very close minded, just making generalisations.)
      People think the Irish are a bunch of drunks and brawlers, and that makes us soo mad sometimes that we just want to get drunk and punch somebody.

The post was edited 2 times, last by kopite ().

Another thread on religion?
      The problem is it is always going to end up petty. You have a logical argument until someone comes along with biased facts. That is when the argument heats up but it just causes people to get angry.

Religion is bullcrap. It causes war and degrades the mind. Always has and always will be. Period.

Tombgeek wrote:

Another thread on religion?
      The problem is it is always going to end up petty. You have a logical argument until someone comes along with biased facts. That is when the argument heats up but it just causes people to get angry.

Religion is bullcrap. It causes war and degrades the mind. Always has and always will be. Period.
      No. Greed causes war; religion is the excuse.

I've always been baffled by atheists who implement the "religion causes war" argument. Since when did that become a logical argument against the validity of religion? Various religions have been in fierce conflicts; that doesn't make the claims of those religions any less valid.

The mind can easily be degraded by anything, if someone is gullible enough. Racism and subsequently the moral acceptance of slavery, as an example.

mrwolf wrote:

This is a familiar tune.

A job interview? Seriously?
      And if two dozen other people were praying to get that job? Then what? Is God supposed to grant them all the same job?

Same thing when it comes to falling in love. If ten different guys are praying to be with the same woman, it's sort of difficult for God to grant all their prayers. Unless of course you're into polygamy.

I seriously doubt some people get everything they've dreamed of.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I am studying Theology at university so I know this kind of thing.

I believe in God as a creator of the universe but I no longer say I am a Catholic as it has become something completely different to what it was supposed to be. As I grow and mature and become more cynical and bitter I don't see the need for organised religion.

It is far too political and people who say that is not religions fault then that is unfortunate. Looking at the past two thousand years, religion has been partly responsible for holding the progress of mankind back. Sure, monastries kept records of things but then the Catholic Church hampered scientific efforts for hundreds of years. Religion isn't fully to blame but it is certainly a reason.

It is also hard to say that if there wasn't religion people would just fight for politics. Do you really think this is the case? We can't honestly say subjectively yes or no although I don't believe that to be true.

Norman Hale Gareth wrote:

I am studying Theology at university so I know this kind of thing.

It is also hard to say that if there wasn't religion people would just fight for politics. Do you really think this is the case? We can't honestly say subjectively yes or no although I don't believe that to be true.

Here's a list of wars from recent times. Lot's of blood. bulk death. Which ones are religious?

Napoleonic Wars
      American Civil War
      World War One
      World War Two
      Chinese Civil War
      Korean War
      Vietnam War
      Russian Afghan War
      Us -Iraq War
      US-Afghan War
      [SIZE=1][SIZE=1]But if God gains people through MY LIES, why am I still being condemned as a sinner? :cool: - Paul: Romans 3.7[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=1]What difference does it make, as long as in every way, whether in FALSEHOOD or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed? :wink: Paul. -Phil. 1:18[/SIZE]
      [/SIZE]

Great, you picked a small handful of wars. We have had a lot more wars than those.

When I talk about fighting for politics I mean political ideals, not just White House politics sending troops to countries.

Also apart from wars (which are debatable as to whether they were caused by religion or not) I don't see any need for organised religion today.

Sababah wrote:

Here's a list of wars from recent times. Lot's of blood. bulk death. Which ones are religious?

Napoleonic Wars
      American Civil War
      World War One
      World War Two
      Chinese Civil War
      Korean War
      Vietnam War
      Russian Afghan War
      Us -Iraq War
      US-Afghan War

Erm, forgive me if this is the point you're making, but... none of them?
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]