Ways to combat Bullying

• Ways to combat Bullying

As of late I have seen an alarming increase in bullying at my High School. However, the bullies seem to be able to get away with it. What methods do you think can be used to combat bullying?

I think we need to be harsher with the ways we punish them. Extreme Verbal abuse should get you suspended for a day. Verbal abuse based on Sex/Race/Religion/Family Fiscal ability would get you a week of suspension. Physical Bullying would get you a week. Extreme Physical bullying will get you expelled plus cops called.

What are your Ideas?

P.S. Way too many religion topics asking the same question.
      [SIZE=4]

Jesus Christ;1624368 wrote:

Dresden, You want to prove that you are better than a non white person? Get the fuck out of your mom's basement, go outside, get a job and make your life worth something.
      [/SIZE]
    • Re: Ways to combat Bullying

Paper Gangsta wrote:

I think we should leave it alone. While I hate bullying, it's never going away.

This, people need some freedom too... I'm not going to be down when the world says it's illegal for me to tell someone to fuck off or whatever, our whole society has violence woven into it but we're raised to avoid confrontation, it just feels silly.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

dusk wrote:

This, people need some freedom too... I'm not going to be down when the world says it's illegal for me to tell someone to fuck off or whatever, our whole society has violence woven into it but we're raised to avoid confrontation, it just feels silly.

yeah well, society/government doesn't benefit from fighters. people need to think more for themselves as individuals and learn to protect themselves instead of accepting whatever shit gets handed to them or doing things by the book. its like how in fight club the people in the club would provoke the shit out of people who refused to fight until they finally cracked. sometimes that's what has to happen though, and anyone can benefit from learning how to fight. i boxed and fucked up 2 bullies in middle school and never had a problem since, plus i'm in very good shape because if it.

many schools should be doing more in a lot of areas, but that doesn't mean you should rely on them completely.

So everyone's general consensus is that well we can't stop it so ignore it. Ok what if a kid is mentally retarded and people bully him. Is it his own fault should he fight them to make it stop?
      [SIZE=4]

Jesus Christ;1624368 wrote:

Dresden, You want to prove that you are better than a non white person? Get the fuck out of your mom's basement, go outside, get a job and make your life worth something.
      [/SIZE]

i never said schools shouldn't be doing anything. the best dean at my high school knew exactly when and how to step in and fix a bad problem, and managed to get 1000+ dollars back to this bullied dumbass who did a terrible job at hiding his money. i said that people need to be able to take matters into their own hands for when schools aren't doing anything. there aren't gonna be school officials around once the day's over, and you don't want to be a person who sits around and takes shit once you grow up.

a retard is gonna be at a disadvantage. much like he's gonna be at a disadvantage for the rest of his life. if anything that shows you why you need to learn to stick up for yourself, so that you don't become that retard.

Just because something is never going to go away doesn't mean we should shrug our shoulders and not do our best to reduce it as best as possible. If that was our approach to everything we'd probably still be an absolute patriarchal, racist, homophobic society.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]

I don't feel ignoring it is the answer, there's a solution to most things in life and bullying can be sorted out. As for those people telling you to ignore it, I'm not sure what their reasoning behind that is. In my H.S there was a club devoted to combating bullying and they were effective to the most part, they got involved with a lot of school activities and several rules were enforced threw out the institution. Look into starting one of those if your really devoted..
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Proudly Support [SIZE=3]Leukemia Awareness[/SIZE]

the thing is that the more you try to "punish for" or "ban" something the more the opposite action is taken.like say if you tell the average 7 year old to go right they go left.so yeah u can punish the bullies or teach the victim to fend for themselves if the problem gets physical then thats a whole new problem:ban:

Tell the kids that are being bullied to stop being little wimps and start learning how to fight.
      Worked for me.

Also, when you see someone weak getting bullied a LOT , please don't join in. Stand up for him and then tell the kid to stand up for himself.
      Thing is, no kid that is being bullied will tell the teacher. Why? Because it will make it worse. The bullying is obviously going to stop when the teachers watch, but outside ( i.e. at the mall, movies, etc.) The kid is going to be freaking scared.

Answer to bullying IMO is to stand up for yourself since the first time some guy wants to bully you. Or you can just ignore him and go someplace else everytime, but it sucks because you can feel it digging at you little by little.
      Hello JC - Cade

Esmo wrote:

A combination of punitive and restorative justice would probably do well in my opinion. But it's important that the bully realises the harm they have inflicted on the victim through a face-to-face meeting or something.

How do you know that it isn't the kind of person that thinks "The more I hurt him, the better." ?
      Hello JC - Cade

Esmo wrote:

A combination of punitive and restorative justice would probably do well in my opinion. But it's important that the bully realises the harm they have inflicted on the victim through a face-to-face meeting or something.

This.

Being bullied does not make you a wimp, nor does not being able to fight back. You could stand up for yourself in an assertive but not aggressive way, but that can only go so far sometimes. It's difficult to get rid of a bully by yourself, and it's been repeated time and time again that bystanders are some of the most important people in the situation. A victim may be too afraid to tell somebody but if you see someone getting bullied there is something you can do about it.

I would be all for harsher punishment but unfortunately you'd likely run into a lot of backlash from parents of kids who bully. Their perfect little angel doesn't deserve that. Or, in other cases, maybe that bully gets abused at home for being suspended.

If someone is bullying they're doing it for a reason, and simply kicking their butt isn't going to help them or their problems. Getting an adult involved would most help the situation, and maybe adults need to be taught to be more aware and willing to help. If one person "stands up for themself" alone, what's to say the bully doesn't just move onto the next person? It's not just about teachers watching to make sure it doesn't happen again, and it's not just about helping the victim. It's about helping the bully, too.

Sorry for the rant, I don't know how much money goes into bullying education/prevention in schools, but I know I've had more than enough of it in my lifetime. I know it's not an easy of a fix as I'm making it out to be, but if this is the general attitude of people I'm no longer shocked as to why it's as big a problem as it is.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Scaredycrow ().

Bullies are people who have a too high of ego, and need to make fun of others to make themselves feel good.

Use that against them and don't give a reaction if you're being bullied, and if you see someone else being bullied then you need to step up and tell him to back the fuck off.

If he doesn't, tell him to back off again. If he STILL doesn't, punch that asshole in the face in the middle of the sentence and beat the shit out of him. Even if you think, even if you know, you'll lose still fight him.

Fighting is not at all about winning or losing, sure that's a good thing but it's proving a point in this case. It's to tell them that you're not gonna take this bullshit because it's stupid and pointless. Though if it's extreme bullying like to a Special Ed kid or someone, go straight to punching him the face and telling him to back down.

Bullying is a problem and you can stop it despite what others say, it takes effort and some persuasion for others to help but you can stop it.

Speaking from personal experience.

Telling on bullies only ever makes the problem worse, you then get it double for being a grass, unless it's a very weak bully.

Suspending bullies does sweet fuck all too, it gives them a day, or a week off school. It's pretty much rewarding them for being pricks. However expelling bullies kinda works, as they're no longer there to be a problem, unless it's not just happening in school, in which case you're only fixing half the problem.

Police intervention is over the top unless it's very extreme, they have enough to worry about without petty shit to deal with.

Personally the only effective means I've ever discovered is fight back, be it verbal or physical. I was bullied from yrs7-9 at school. Only in yr10 did someone piss me off to the point where I had him pinned against the wall with one hand and beating seven shades of poop from his face with the other. Never had a problem since. Felt good too tbh.
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Esmo wrote:

The point is to eradicate that thinking by making the bully empathise. If they're thinking that, you haven't done the job.

Is it really possible to make every bully empathize though?

In my experience, bullies are the kind of people that will kick you while you are down. If they know they are causing you pain, they'll work harder.

So I think its better to stand up for yourself. " If you don't hunch over people can't get on your back."

Besides, imagine the self esteem of the kid bullied when he realized he was too wimpy to get rid of the bullies himself.
      Hello JC - Cade

Number Juan wrote:

Is it really possible to make every bully empathize though?

I guess not in extreme cases, but I think we all know what the appropriate action would be. But by making the bully realise that the victim is a person, like them, the bully might realise the harm of their behaviour. This could be done through a series of one-to-one meeting sessions, etc. or whatever that someone who knows more about education than me would come up with.

I think it's worth bearing in mind as well that, a cliché though it may be, it's true that bullies act the way they do because of something that they're missing in their life, and bullying is their defence mechanism to that. It would be much better to pull them out of that cycle rather than pull them out of school, with no behavioural change.
      [CENTER]

[RIGHT]Ta-ta
      [/RIGHT]
      [/CENTER]