Ways to combat Bullying

• Re: Ways to combat Bullying

Number Juan wrote:

Is it really possible to make every bully empathize though?

In my experience, bullies are the kind of people that will kick you while you are down. If they know they are causing you pain, they'll work harder.

So I think its better to stand up for yourself. " If you don't hunch over people can't get on your back."

Besides, imagine the self esteem of the kid bullied when he realized he was too wimpy to get rid of the bullies himself.

I don't see why not, although in most cases it'd likely be impossible to do it on your own.

The problem is, not everyone can fight back. And they shouldn't be ashamed if they aren't able to do so. Remember, bullying isn't just physical, it can be emotional and psychological too.

And, in the event someone does stand up to a bully, beat him up, get rid of him, whatever. That person's self-esteem may increase, but what about the bully? His is likely already very low and unstable in the first place, so why wouldn't he just go pick on an easier target? Or become someone that may be susceptible to bullying himself? Beating someone up is not magically going to change them - maybe they won't bother you anymore, but the problem hasn't gone away.

I can see where you're coming from with the "they'll just hurt you more if you tell" thing, because if the bully is only punished, it's indeed only going to make it worse when the punishment is over.
      That's the point that's trying to be made: You can't just punish the bully. You have to work at conflict resolution, and make sure the bully knows why what he did was wrong and perhaps why he was bullying in the first place.

dusk wrote:

This, people need some freedom too... I'm not going to be down when the world says it's illegal for me to tell someone to fuck off or whatever, our whole society has violence woven into it but we're raised to avoid confrontation, it just feels silly.

that's not what they want to stop. they want to stop bullying
      dunno what can be done to stop it, but i think the bullys themselves have a problem. they try to act all tough but picking on the people who are smaller than u doesn't make you tough.if you're gonna fight, fight someone your own size.

Journal wrote:

Bullies are people who have a too high of ego, and need to make fun of others to make themselves feel good.

nah, I just think they are insecure and have their own shit going through their heads.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Papa Bear ().

The way I fought bullying is by going right up to the bully, grabbed him by his shirt collar, and said "Look, I'm not going to take ANYMORE of your bullshit, got it?" and then just walked away. Sure enough, he completely stopped. Good thing too because I really didn't know what I was going to do if he didn't stop. It was an empty threat pretty much. haha
      We sing the Death Song kids
      Because we've got no future...
      And we want to be just like you...

jerry wrote:

that's not what they want to stop. they want to stop bullying
      dunno what can be done to stop it, but i think the bullys themselves have a problem. they try to act all tough but picking on the people who are smaller than u doesn't make you tough.if you're gonna fight, fight someone your own size.

nah, I just think they are insecure and have their own shit going through their heads.

Bullies being tough has nothing to do with what I meant. I'm saying bullies pick on people who are weak, it can be physically, or mentally, or both. In most situations the victim either cracks or learns to be stronger, and fight back, even if they lose, nobody wants to get clocked in the face every day, so I think there should be a less "oh peace and love" way to solve this problem. Mostly because that doesn't work, you ever see a high school kid get told "you're going to get suspended if you do so and so one more time", all my friends who've been told things like that just laugh, and they aren't even bullies.
      [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

The post was edited 1 time, last by SMOKE. ().

I didn't read any other posts, only the OPs:

My school has punishments like that, and what has happened is that, say If me and my friend are joking around, and I call him gay, a teacher hears it and next thing I know I have a 5 day suspension for harassment and hate crime. meanwhile, the bullies just become teachers pets, allowing them to get away with murder. The best way I have found to deal with bullies is too just get right back at them, don't show fear. Most bullies bully because it is easy, so not backing down should suffice. Ratting them out will only dig you a deeper grave.
      [FONT="System"][SIZE="4"]I find it funny that thing that built me up,
      is the same thing that broke me down.[/SIZE][/FONT]

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tanner ().

You could act crippled and they probably won't bother you. There was this one kid at my high school called cane boy and he walked around with a cane because of a bad leg. No one messed with him.
      I give cam shows every now and then, but I MUST know you and be comfortable with you before I will do them for you! If interested, contact me and get to know me!

dusk wrote:

Bullies being tough has nothing to do with what I meant. I'm saying bullies pick on people who are weak, it can be physically, or mentally, or both. In most situations the victim either cracks or learns to be stronger, and fight back, even if they lose, nobody wants to get clocked in the face every day, so I think there should be a less "oh peace and love" way to solve this problem. Mostly because that doesn't work, you ever see a high school kid get told "you're going to get suspended if you do so and so one more time", all my friends who've been told things like that just laugh, and they aren't even bullies.

Some people who are bullied don't even learn. they resolve to switch schools, or just kill themselves. and I know it happens cuz I remember a case in my school, where this kid that was on my grade jumped off from a bridge b/c of bullying.
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

jerry wrote:

Some people who are bullied don't even learn. they resolve to switch schools, or just kill themselves. and I know it happens cuz I remember a case in my school, where this kid that was on my grade jumped off from a bridge b/c of bullying.

That's not funny:(
      [SIZE=4]

Jesus Christ;1624368 wrote:

Dresden, You want to prove that you are better than a non white person? Get the fuck out of your mom's basement, go outside, get a job and make your life worth something.
      [/SIZE]

Scaredycrow wrote:

I don't see why not, although in most cases it'd likely be impossible to do it on your own.

The problem is, not everyone can fight back. And they shouldn't be ashamed if they aren't able to do so. Remember, bullying isn't just physical, it can be emotional and psychological too.

And, in the event someone does stand up to a bully, beat him up, get rid of him, whatever. That person's self-esteem may increase, but what about the bully? His is likely already very low and unstable in the first place, so why wouldn't he just go pick on an easier target? Or become someone that may be susceptible to bullying himself? Beating someone up is not magically going to change them - maybe they won't bother you anymore, but the problem hasn't gone away.

I can see where you're coming from with the "they'll just hurt you more if you tell" thing, because if the bully is only punished, it's indeed only going to make it worse when the punishment is over.
      That's the point that's trying to be made: You can't just punish the bully. You have to work at conflict resolution, and make sure the bully knows why what he did was wrong and perhaps why he was bullying in the first place.

Okay. I guess I am being a little biased against the bully. Yeah you are supposed to help both.
      A beating would humble a bully, but you are right that they might become someone susceptible to bullying too. It's just that most bullies don't give a crap about conflict resolution or anything like that.

I think it's harder to get rid of bullying than to get rid of a bully X(
      Hello JC - Cade

Oh well that's terrible too but here is the story on the Rutgers kid. Outrage, remorse after Rutgers student's death - Yahoo! News
      [SIZE=4]

Jesus Christ;1624368 wrote:

Dresden, You want to prove that you are better than a non white person? Get the fuck out of your mom's basement, go outside, get a job and make your life worth something.
      [/SIZE]

kite114 wrote:

As of late I have seen an alarming increase in bullying at my High School. However, the bullies seem to be able to get away with it. What methods do you think can be used to combat bullying?

I think we need to be harsher with the ways we punish them. Extreme Verbal abuse should get you suspended for a day. Verbal abuse based on Sex/Race/Religion/Family Fiscal ability would get you a week of suspension. Physical Bullying would get you a week. Extreme Physical bullying will get you expelled plus cops called.

What are your Ideas?

I think that it kind of depends on the case. It depends who is being made fun of, why they are, and the bully. But put into set guidelines...
      - I think that extreme verbal abuse should be a week of detention first instance, suspension every time afterward.
      - Verbal abuse based on sex/race/religion should be the same as regular verbal abuse. I'm tired of people putting those in special cases...people are just too sensitive nowadays.
      - Verbal abuse based on family or fiscal ability should be more harsh than the standard verbal abuse, just because family is something that people should always feel closest to, and that other people should see as off limits. Making fun of people because they are poor is just plain mean too, even if it was meant to be a joke. I say in-school suspension.
      - Physical bullying kind of depends for me. If a couple of goons are just pushing you around, that could go for 1 day detention. But if the kid being bullied is actually hurt in any way, i'd say a week of in-school suspension.
      - extreme physical bullying (i'm assuming the kid has 2 black eyes and a bloody nose, broken arm, etc) should be expulsion and cops called, like you said.

A word to schools as well - you have to know when bullying is bullying and when its 2 friends being sarcastic to each other. for example, one of my best friends is black, and she was telling me how she loves grape soda (true story) and I said something along the lines of "God, you are such an effing nigger" just as a teacher walked by. The teacher assumed I was bullying and I was assigned to a week of detention. I told the school administrator (what most people call a dean) about the whole thing, and he got me out of the detentions, but told me not to use that word at school.

My point is, what looks like bullying isn't always bullying.
      [CENTER][SIZE="2"]"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me." - Dr. Seuss[/SIZE][/CENTER]